Is it me or do you think we need experiance

Our average age in our squad must be around 20-21.. That is really good and we're giving young upper-coming players an opportunity but I think we need 1 or 2 players over the age of 28 just so, for instance, we're winning 1-0 away and we're under pressure I think we need someone with a cool experienced head just to steady the ship.. Maybe Dickov things youth can succeed I do aswell but 1 or 2 experienced players would improve out team a lot

Our average age in our squad must be around 20-21.. That is really good and we're giving young upper-coming players an opportunity but I think we need 1 or 2 players over the age of 28 just so, for instance, we're winning 1-0 away and we're under pressure I think we need someone with a cool experienced head just to steady the ship.. Maybe Dickov things youth can succeed I do aswell but 1 or 2 experienced players would improve out team a lot

Depends who the experience is. Todd?

A lot of the players in the squad have experience despite their age. Taylor, Furman, Lee, Diamond, Reid.

A lot of the players in the squad have experience despite their age. Taylor, Furman, Lee, Diamond, Reid.

+1 - We have some good experience - what we may lack is Leaders when the going gets tough - from what I've heard, Diamond may be the one at the back and hopefully Furman as captain will be more vocal too.

in one , give me a young fit inexperienced player over a slow tired over the hill experienced player

Last season, our experienced heads were Hazell, Feeney and Todd, and even though Hazell was captain, their presence in the dressing room didn't stop us having a bad run. They have now all gone, replaced by no over 30s. Maybe this is a purposeful move by Paul Dickov? It's possible that they may not have mixed well in the squad due to a difference in age, although I am aware this is pure speculation.

Maybe as we can't compete on the financial front though, it's worth going against the grain a bit, against the "common wisdom" that you need some older players to succeed. Maybe our total youthfulness and lack of world-weariness could work in our favour, and we ride our team spirit and blissful ignorance to success?

Although lacking in experience, I don't believe our squad lacks in character, the likeable and well-spoken Matt Smith a good example of that. The likes of Cisak, Diamond, Furman, Taylor, although all early-to-mid 20s, are our strong characters now (I know, I know, Taylor a strong character? He's maturing fast IMO), and a lot rests on them to lead our kids on the pitch.

Instead of fretting about the bad things that our squad's age could result in, lets embrace what PD is trying to do, because, well, you never know!

It boils down to cost - were skint so we have to go for the cheaper players - they are either young or old has beens. Whilst it is easy to write off the older generation, good headed players such as David Eyres can be found and can provide a calm head when things get tough. Late last season, it got tough and we lacked a big character to calm everybody in the dressing room down. Unfortunatly we've not been able to find such a player over summer for whatever reason but it doesn't mean that this group of lads can't gel together and thrive off the underdog situation that they find themselves in.

I think we know the quality of Lee, Mvoto, Taylor, Furman and Morais so we can expect a solid season from these. The other signings also sound promising with Ciask, Diamond, Lund and Smith looking to gain something personally whilst at Latics. I think success/failure could bold down to luck this season, with injuries and suspensions it could mean us relying on our youthful inexperienced reserves to stand up and perform for the badge.

One thing we can count on this season, Dickov and Taggart will make sure each player goes out onto the pitch with pride and passion - something when we was under Penney we all asked for. It will be an interesting season, great local derbies and hopefully a good cup run :pray:

:OWTB1:

It boils down to cost - were skint so we have to go for the cheaper players - they are either young or old has beens. Whilst it is easy to write off the older generation, good headed players such as David Eyres can be found and can provide a calm head when things get tough. Late last season, it got tough and we lacked a big character to calm everybody in the dressing room down. Unfortunatly we've not been able to find such a player over summer for whatever reason but it doesn't mean that this group of lads can't gel together and thrive off the underdog situation that they find themselves in.

I think we know the quality of Lee, Mvoto, Taylor, Furman and Morais so we can expect a solid season from these. The other signings also sound promising with Ciask, Diamond, Lund and Smith looking to gain something personally whilst at Latics. I think success/failure could bold down to luck this season, with injuries and suspensions it could mean us relying on our youthful inexperienced reserves to stand up and perform for the badge.

One thing we can count on this season, Dickov and Taggart will make sure each player goes out onto the pitch with pride and passion - something when we was under Penney we all asked for. It will be an interesting season, great local derbies and hopefully a good cup run :pray:

Last season, our experienced heads were Hazell, Feeney and Todd, and even though Hazell was captain, their presence in the dressing room didn't stop us having a bad run. They have now all gone, replaced by no over 30s. Maybe this is a purposeful move by Paul Dickov? It's possible that they may not have mixed well in the squad due to a difference in age, although I am aware this is pure speculation.

Maybe as we can't compete on the financial front though, it's worth going against the grain a bit, against the "common wisdom" that you need some older players to succeed. Maybe our total youthfulness and lack of world-weariness could work in our favour, and we ride our team spirit and blissful ignorance to success?

Although lacking in experience, I don't believe our squad lacks in character, the likeable and well-spoken Matt Smith a good example of that. The likes of Cisak, Diamond, Furman, Taylor, although all early-to-mid 20s, are our strong characters now (I know, I know, Taylor a strong character? He's maturing fast IMO), and a lot rests on them to lead our kids on the pitch.

Instead of fretting about the bad things that our squad's age could result in, lets embrace what PD is trying to do, because, well, you never know!

:applause1: :applause1: :applause1: :applause1:

I like the cut of your jib Simpo......

I'm all for having experience in the squad but if they don't have talent, ability and hunger what's the point?

They have to be the right players.

Zander Diamond has had many seasons in the SPL playing against the likes of Rangers and Celtic, he'll be a key player for us on the pitch.

Its about having the "right type of player" young or old - I was disapointed when Alexander went to Preston from Burnley, I'd have been very pleased if we'd have signed him. I personally think we are lacking, but it needs to be the right player who is still hungry and who wants to play.

Well said.

I think the season ahead is going to be very good and entertaining. I really can't predict where we will finish because it's such a close call at the moment with so many good teams in the league.

Exactly, there can't be many more who know more about a club than the likes of Taylor. He's done it all really.

Only worry would be (which is very unlikely) if we got to the play-offs. There may not be players with the experience of that to fall back on.

Exactly, there can't be many more who know more about a club than the likes of Taylor. He's done it all really.

Only worry would be (which is very unlikely) if we got to the play-offs. There may not be players with the experience of that to fall back on.

apart from promotion