To be fair to Reid, he was never going to look that good yesterday because of the type of game it was, close hard-fought with not many chances created. I did notice in the first half how much he harried and pressed their defenders all over the pitch - not the sign of someone who can't be arsed. In the second half he looked knackered and was rightly subbed. A true measure will be how he performs when we're all over a team such as the first half of Exeter at home last season, will he get into the right positions then and make use of the extra space around him? I hope so and think he will. I can't help think he would do better in a 4-3-3 but Dickov doesn't seem to like this formation much.

It doesn't really matter what formation we play, if the midfielders don't support the forwards and occasionally get in and around the penalty area we haven't a hope in hell of scoring goals. Smith and Reid were totally isolated up front yesterday and what worries me is that the tactics from the second half of last season don't seem to have changed one iota!!

We failed to score more than 1 goal in 31 of our games last season and if we want to get the crowds back and challenge at the other end of the table we have to improve on that!!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was pointing out that it was said that he was the worst player on the pitch, which clearly he wasnt but people are already jumping on a we hate reid bandwagon after 1 game

I cant be arsed looking back through the whole thread but dont recall anyone saying that they hate Reid.

The original poster was asking for people to comment what they thought of his performance and that is what has happened.

I dont understand where you and others are making out he is the new boo boy and to my understanding that is not the case, people are just pissed off at his lazyness and obvious lack of fitness which is totally unacceptable as this is his job (to which fitness is a reasonable requirement).

I know it's awfully fashionable but if Spanish Marc signed I'd be tempted to play 4-3-3 with Taylor Smith and Parker up top (left to right) - Marc holding giving Furman more freedom to get forward- just a thought.

Surely Morais would be the man to push forward from midfield if you were going with that forward line?

M'Voto played well for 80 minutes.

Reid didn't contribute much at all.

So which players on that pitch had a poorer game?

mvoto. as a centre half if you are at fault for two goals that's horrendous, you can play awesome for 85minutes but he fact remains you are there to stop goals and you didnt.

I see you point about last season but i thought he looked good in the friendlies so i am trying in my own mind to wipe the slate clean. i think we need to give him a few games before we decide

And along the same lines Reid is there to score once in a while!

M'Voto played well for 80 minutes.

Reid didn't contribute much at all.

Its all opinions at the end of the day; and its one of the reasons I come on here these days; to see how other Latics fans see things.....but in my opinion; you're wrong there o4u.

M'Voto had his worst game for us by far yesterday; he was solid enough for the 1st half but he was simply awful for the next 45mins.....at fault for both goals and also responsible for a number of other mistakes that very narly cost us. I think he was the poorest player out there out of the 22 players; by quite some distance. I hope he's got it out of his system; and he returns to the form he showed last season.

Back on topic with Reuben Reid......I think we all need to give him time and have some bloody patience with him. He's trying to forge a new partnership with Matt Smith; a very young player finding his feet in the professional game, and he's currently playing in a side that's lacking in creativity. Those 2 facts surely mean he's hardly going to shine at present?

He's a work in progress - like our side is - and he deserves to be cut some slack IMO; instead of people jumping down his thoat for a persceived lack of effort.......

I think he has talent; and if he gets on a little run of form & confidence*; I think he'll show what he's all about.

.* someone actually creating a chance for him wouldn't go amiss either.

Edited by slystallone

Reid was :censored: and did nothing all game. You could see him gettin frustrated which is a good thing because it shows he does actually care even though it looks like he doesn't.

Parker had a much better match than Reid, he looked like he wanted to play football and actually wanted to do something in the match.

The thing that I don't understand is that we have a 6ft 6 striker who is top in the air and the ball is not getting crossed in to him enough. If we put 1 or 2 quality crosses into him he'll score.

The situation with Reid is a strange one.He was released by Latics then was kept on but with reduced terms thus you would expect he was keen to stay and impress.However he still looks overweight despite a pre season so if I can see that than surely the management can.I agree the service the strikers recieved was poor at best and any striker will struggle in that case but surely the players should be physically fit.Feeney lost two stone over the summer,does that mean he also got through the whole of last season carrying too much timber?

Its all opinions at the end of the day; and its one of the reasons I come on here these days; to see how other Latics fans see things.....but in my opinion; you're wrong there o4u.

M'Voto had his worst game for us by far yesterday; he was solid enough for the 1st half but he was simply awful for the next 45mins.....at fault for both goals and also responsible for a number of other mistakes that very narly cost us. I think he was the poorest player out there out of the 22 players; by quite some distance. I hope he's got it out of his system; and he returns to the form he showed last season.

Back on topic with Reuben Reid......I think we all need to give him time and have some bloody patience with him. He's trying to forge a new partnership with Matt Smith; a very young player finding his feet in the professional game, and he's currently playing in a side that's lacking in creativity. Those 2 facts surely mean he's hardly going to shine at present?

He's a work in progress - like our side is - and he deserves to be cut some slack IMO; instead of people jumping down his thoat for a persceived lack of effort.......

I think he has talent; and if he gets on a little run of form & confidence*; I think he'll show what he's all about.

.* someone actually creating a chance for him wouldn't go amiss either.

So how much time do people give him? He had a few months last season where he did sweet FA and he didn't look up for it again yesterday.

I understand why people would stick up for Reid to an extent, and we all want the same thing which is for him to play to his potential. I also agree that we were pretty toothless in creativity for him and Smith.

My problem is thats he is too fooking fat and again that is totally unacceptable!

The situation with Reid is a strange one.He was released by Latics then was kept on but with reduced terms thus you would expect he was keen to stay and impress.However he still looks overweight despite a pre season so if I can see that than surely the management can.I agree the service the strikers recieved was poor at best and any striker will struggle in that case but surely the players should be physically fit.Feeney lost two stone over the summer,does that mean he also got through the whole of last season carrying too much timber?

Thats the point. He looks it, do you know if he is overweight? How do you know if he isn't physically fit? You seen all the details about his weight etc the management have? He can't impress anyone when him and smith are isolated upfront, and the team didn't play to his strengths agaist sheffield, he isn't a striker you hoof the ball up to, he prefers it into his feet, yet the players don't seem to want to do that and would rather go for a hopeful long ball up to him, which everyone can see, isn't his strength. When we played it along the floor more in pre-season he looked alot more threatening.

He may well pass the physical tests they do but unless my eyes and those of my old man sat next to me are going then he appears to have a gut.I went to the game,didnt criticise him or any of the other players because I cant fault their commitment,however if Reid is carrying a few pounds and Feeney played all last season carrying two extra stone then surely we should expect better of professional athletes.

Porter? :grin:

I'd try playing Reid into form - every minute for the reserves on top of regular 1st team appearances off the bench. The reserves are shaping up to be whipping boys though, so it might hardly benefit a struggling striker!

I post very rarely, but in the time owtb has been going the two subjects i have posted on was keigan parker and yesterday with rueben. The two of them are made from the same stuff for me. BOTH HAVE TALENT, but fundamentally both think there are a lot better than they are, and both have a horribe attitude. In my view that is the worst 'type' of player. They play for themselves - that's fine if your ronaldo, but not if your average player with the potentail to be half decnt. Fans on here talking about, he needs service, or games, or the ball to feet, or the team to understand him (all valid points in there own right) miss the caentral point; if he had all of those things, he would still moan and whige and not lose weight,or work, or run, or win a header, why? Because he's rueben rein, he doesn't need to.

I post very rarely, but in the time owtb has been going the two subjects i have posted on was keigan parker and yesterday with rueben. The two of them are made from the same stuff for me. BOTH HAVE TALENT, but fundamentally both think there are a lot better than they are, and both have a horribe attitude. In my view that is the worst 'type' of player. They play for themselves - that's fine if your ronaldo, but not if your average player with the potentail to be half decnt. Fans on here talking about, he needs service, or games, or the ball to feet, or the team to understand him (all valid points in there own right) miss the caentral point; if he had all of those things, he would still moan and whige and not lose weight,or work, or run, or win a header, why? Because he's rueben rein, he doesn't need to.

I don't buy this. He's 23 and probably has few quid after the Baggies transfer but wont be set up for life. He's now (presumably) had to accept a fairly :censored: one year contract just to stay in the professional game. Even if he hasn't got a genuine hunger he must be at least after generating another pay day. Besides, if he had a bad attitude I'm pretty sure Dickov wouldn't have him. Cheap gamble well worth taking.

The situation with Reid is a strange one.He was released by Latics then was kept on but with reduced terms thus you would expect he was keen to stay and impress.

He had an option to stay a second year on lower wages and rejected it.

His agent touted him around and nobody was prepared to pay him more than that option. So he stayed.

Basically it's his last chance to impress as a professional footballer. He either gives it his all or he looks like he's here under sufference.

When the ball came his way he wasn't a threat. When the ball was nearby he wasn't interested in making his presence felt and didn't put defenders under pressure. When there were 50 / 50 balls he wimped out.

I don't do the boo boy thing. I accept that the service to the strikers was poor. But Reid did nothing to mitigate that. Perhaps he was well shackled by his opponents. But with the exception of a neat finish at a piss poor Notts County he seems to have been well shackled every time he's played.

Until he shows the necessary hunger he shouldn't be starting games.

Keep hearing all this garbage about Reid "not 100 match fit" give him time" etc etc.

Basic truth is that no matter how fit and how much time he has he is NOT a striker.

He has no basic striker instincts, he will not score double figure goals for us even if he plays all 46 games.

He is NOT the answer to our goal drought problem.

Midfield is not playing high enough up the pitch to support the front 2 and if we continue to play like that then any front 2 will suffer.

No matter how well Reid plays he will not score enough goals for us .

We desperately need an out and out striker ie Luke Beckett type but we also need to change our style of play.

My fear this seaon is that with M'Voto and Diamond at the back then PD is playing further back in our half because these 2 don't have the speed for us to play upto the halfway line .

Consequently our midfield sit further back which creates a huge gap between them and the front 2.

Needs sorting PD and qickly before we get into a very early dog fight at the bottom which will make our style of play even more cramped with fear.

I just cant believe Dickov puts up with him , one thing Dickov was was a trier , never stopped running. For Dickov to have Reid as his first choice striker is baffling , Surely Parker blew him out of the water on Sat and will start the next couple

I just cant believe Dickov puts up with him , one thing Dickov was was a trier , never stopped running. For Dickov to have Reid as his first choice striker is baffling , Surely Parker blew him out of the water on Sat and will start the next couple

I think that's what we are all expecting, but will dickov see it like that?

I'd imagine that Reuben will start tomorrow night; with Parker coming off the bench again. If it does go the way it went on Sat; then I would say that Parker will start the Yeovil game.....but for me (& I think PD too) Reuben will start again tomorrow night.

not read the whole thread...........but if you don't create chances you don't score goals...

yes it would be nice to see a goal from an individual who makes it for themselves, but these aren't all that common at our level.

Winchester isn't a winger....i like him - huge potential, but never a winger. He drifts inside, if Leee pushes too far forwards - we're massivly exposed....thats one side of the pitch we're not scoring a goal from. The other side of the pitch....well for me, taylor yet again didn't deliver. He gets you off your seat, he runs forwards but instead of laying it to black or crossing it (with his left :( ) foot - he cuts in and either slices a shot or runs into two players and the balls gone.

Now that covers a large part of the pitch where we're not creating chances - add that to two midfielders who can't seem to push forward - doesn't matter who you have up the top end to score goals. If all you get is a hoof up to you and nobody to lay it off to as your back is to goal - your in trouble.

All this means whenever we do get a chance - if its missed (see tounkare last year) the crowd is straight on the players back because we know it could well be the only chance......perhaps also causing players to snatch knowing its now or never!!

I only played sunday league....and in the couple of years i played for "poorer" sides up front....there were large periods of time i felt how reid looked on saturday. Every strker wants to score goals, and the longer you go without the opportunities, the more peeved you get - and when its you thats dragged off...its hard not to think how could i have done anymore!!

I don't remember a time when i thought - we could have scored there if only a striker had been in the right place....no fizzing balls across the box, nothing through for them to run on to....

You must of not been watching last season then. We put in a number of balls into the box only for no-one to be on the end of it due to being in the wrong place.