how long before we ask difficult questions?

Would you deem this a fair answer?

Wait until the end of September. By then we will have played a good mix of teams including (whilst not everyone will agree with the categories I have placed the teams in, you get the idea)

Probable Promotion Chasers: Sheffield United, Huddersfield,

Outsiders: Scunthorpe, Leyton Orient, Brentford

Top Half/Mid Table Teams: Carlisle, Colchester

Fellow Strugglers/Relegation Fodder: Rochdale, Stevenage, Yeovil, Walsall

But we need to put things into context. To be fair to Dickov, the poor sod is on a hiding to nothing. As Prozac reminded me on facebook, we have lost 15 players from last season, and brought in 5. His budget has been cut, and because of the new financial fair play rules next season it is likely to be cut again, and cut significantly.

Whilst Dickov has made mistakes, granted, Jose Mouriniho would struggle to achieve anything with this squad.

The new fair play rules, think that it is 60% of turnover? Am sure i've read that we are operating under that figure currently..

I agree we should sack Dicov, lets start again. We can do it, we have a big budget. I expect to win every game, this division is full of poor teams. Look at the squad there are no good players there, Taylor is the worse player I have seen for years.

I say this becuase I'm a :censored:, and anyone who disagree is a happy clapper because yes I am that big a :censored:.

Give the guy time for goodness sake.

I'm pleased Dickov has bided his time in making signings. In seasons gone by it has been important to secure quality asap to avoid scratching around for players in August. There's less player power today though, it's them scratching around. It's entirely plausible that a player who was chasing £200k a year and/or Championship football may still be available and suddenly relieved to sign League 1 for £100k now that the season is under way.

I'm pleased Dickov has bided his time in making signings. In seasons gone by it has been important to secure quality asap to avoid scratching around for players in August. There's less player power today though, it's them scratching around. It's entirely plausible that a player who was chasing £200k a year and/or Championship football may still be available and suddenly relieved to sign League 1 for £100k now that the season is under way.

me too....you only have to look at penis penney who signed any old joe,cough....

the one thing for me is we need a quality front man...reid isnt it,feeney wasnt it,tonks wasnt it...smith has bags of potential and we have brooke n bembo-lita...all of which could mature quickly and come good.....we have invested in a decent defence in diamond n signing big jean...just because we lose the first game to ex championship side aiming to get back up at first attempt....people are now questioning anything and everything....

you can throw as many negative stats out as you like.....dickov needs to be given time as did big joe,and we all know where we went with that....

talk about mountains out of molehills...

The new fair play rules, think that it is 60% of turnover? Am sure i've read that we are operating under that figure currently..

Not according to this we are not

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/HomeTickets/0,,10337~2379461,00.html

Read the end of the article

Latics say the match prices have been influenced by the recently introduced salary cap and UEFA's Financial Fair Play which Football League clubs recently voted to adopt.

This mandates clubs to break even and at the moment Latics are a long way from achieving that objective.

Latics say the match prices have been influenced by the recently introduced salary cap and UEFA's Financial Fair Play which Football League clubs recently voted to adopt.

This mandates clubs to break even and at the moment Latics are a long way from achieving that objective.

Ahhh, sure i read that we're currently below the 60% which is one of reasons why we're a 'model' club in the football league that others should copy in terms of how we use our money rather than blowing almost all of our revenue on wages..

This doesn't seem correct to me, the reported mandate is not that clubs break even, but don't spend more than 55% of income on wages (from next year). Going from the Oldham article, it refers to being a long way from breaking even, but doesn't say about if we are meeting the turnover figures.

Take Rochdale out of that and replace with Bury.

We don't play bury till november though :) all i did was taken the teams we play in aug and sept and categorised them as i thought appropriate to illustrate the mix of teams we will play over this month and next

Edited by Lookers_Carl

me too....you only have to look at penis penney who signed any old joe,cough....

the one thing for me is we need a quality front man...reid isnt it,feeney wasnt it,tonks wasnt it...smith has bags of potential and we have brooke n bembo-lita...all of which could mature quickly and come good.....we have invested in a decent defence in diamond n signing big jean...just because we lose the first game to ex championship side aiming to get back up at first attempt....people are now questioning anything and everything....

you can throw as many negative stats out as you like.....dickov needs to be given time as did big joe,and we all know where we went with that....

talk about mountains out of molehills...

:applause1:

We have had too much turbulence the last decade, time for a bit of stability.

We seem to be making strides in that regard off the pitch, so hopefully it will manifest it ont he pitch.

A disappointing result, in that holding Sheff Utd to a barnstomer of a game, with endless waves of attaack would do wonders for the crowd figres, you have to be realistic! Back to the usual hardcore in the nest week unfortuantely.

Well done Mr. Dickov for taking some decisive action after reading my post.

One down five to go.

Next time please note that the pre-season period might be a better time to construct a full squad. Bit of forward planning needed Paul.

Now, if we could start to win games and get beyond the first round of a cup game, any cup game, and we might start to make some progress, might start to move a little bit forward. That would be nice.

No manager is beyond criticism, especially when the team are in such a bad run and the squad is so weak.Last year we started with such promise at Tranmere. This year has been, well, crap.

Thankyou for listening - now sign another 4-5 please.

Many thanks.

Well done Mr. Dickov for taking some decisive action after reading my post.

One down five to go.

Next time please note that the pre-season period might be a better time to construct a full squad. Bit of forward planning needed Paul.

Now, if we could start to win games and get beyond the first round of a cup game, any cup game, and we might start to make some progress, might start to move a little bit forward. That would be nice.

No manager is beyond criticism, especially when the team are in such a bad run and the squad is so weak.Last year we started with such promise at Tranmere. This year has been, well, crap.

Thankyou for listening - now sign another 4-5 please.

Many thanks.

Thank god you posted that because If you hadn't we might not have signed anyone in fact you may have single handedly saved the club from oblivion :wink:

Seriously though everyone can see the problem its abit diferent when you are the one charged with solving it. If money was no object we would have a big squad full of quality in place months ago as its not the case we have to work alot harder and look alot harder to get the right type of player in to improve what we have.

I love how Reuben Reid has now been nicknamed 'Nando's boy' :grin:

It sometimes seems to me that some of our fans would like particular players to just give up. I'd personally love Reid to get his first goal this season and form a partnership with Smith.

I think that Reid has the potential to play every game this season, I'm not sure Parker's temperament is right for 46 games a year. That, and his 'international' commitments. I wouldn't go as far as to get 'REID 9' on my new Latics' shirt though.

Anyway, I don't think the run of 'x amount of games without a win/clean sheet/two goals scored' should count from one season to the next. We've performed well in pre-season and losing the first game to arguably the 'biggest' side in the league isn't the end of the world.

If we perform well tomorrow night, get a draw away at Yeovil on Saturday then give Rochdale a good seeing to next weekend all will be rosy again.

Where did I leave my blue-tinted glasses..

How does this work. Are the figures taken from last years turnover shown in then accounts? If so then it is a flawed concept. A bad season will lower turnover, therefore less has to be spent. This will lead to an increasing downward spiral.