That was very poor

Is there a winger or anyone on the books who can actually cross a ball ? ...most other teams seem to have them.

The throw ins were again diabolical, no movement whatsoever, what do Latics coaches actually do all week ?

I agree that our movement at throw-ins is very static at times. Although last night the throw-in that led to the penalty was something they have obviously worked on in training. It was tried again later in the game.

The most worrying part for me was that as soon as they got their free-kick their chins dropped before they even took it! As soon as it went in their whole bodies drooped. Second game of the season and the confidence is gone at 1-1.

Reuben needs to read smiths knock-ons. Dont think he read one all match.

Reid has no control-phil has too much!

Mvoto had a much better game.

Thought Zander kept his pace well.

Blacky half asleep at times.

Half a challenge taylor.

Carl showed why he is a great prospect.

Parker needs to be a bit more nosey but great pace.

Thought our midfield was missing at times and far too close together. Find the space.

Must be said that Ciask made a couple of superb saves and kept us in the game.

The question is how long are we going to have to wait for this team to gel?!

A good result sat is a must.

Keepin that champagne on ice

burgerdarts

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope tonights game isn't a sign of things to come. We've got a big man up front now in Smith but just smashing a ball at his head for 120 mins just doesn't do it for me. In footballing terms we don't look as good as we did last season in my opinion. Carlisle bossed the game for long periods and thats a bit of a worry as i wouldn't expect them to be up there at the end of the season. They got the ball out wide and got round the back of us to easily and put some good balls into the box, lucky for us no one got on the end of them. We created some good chances of our own in the first half but didn't make their keeper make a save. I know it's still early but it looks like being a long season to me.

Just my opinion however what did everyone else think?

You are of course entitled to your own opinion - I have a different one to you though.

I haven't read the thread at all; other than this OP; so I'm not sure if others will have similar opinions to me on this or not?

I thought last night was promising. The signs are there; and we're not a million miles away from a competitive; very decent L1 side IMO.

Saturday was always going to be a tough ask; against a side still made up of 80-90% of the players they had in the Championship. Last night we played a side who are one of the sides 'in & around' us in terms of budget & ability to attract players (actually they could well have more budget than us but you get my point); so it was going to be more of a gauge of where we're at.

For me - we couldn't be separated in 120mins of football, and we competed with them; and created more clear-cut chances than them over the course of the game. We look bang on where we should be; and if PD can get 1 or 2 more in (and that's all it needs I think; another option in CM and another option up-front) then we might just be able to kick up another few places.

We should all be realistic here. With the financial constraints he is under as a manager; I think PD has done very well indeed to bring in the likes of JYM, Diamond, Cisak, Smith, Wesoloski & Parker; all of which look to be very decent players for our level and have improved us in their respective positions. We can't realistically expect to match it & mix it in terms of transfer with the likes of Charlton, Hudds & Sheff Utd; as we just don't have the backing they have. I happen to think that a large chunk of our fan base need to actually take stock; and become far more realistic in terms of their expectations - both in terms of what the team should be achieving on the pitch; and the transfers we should be making off it. Purely financially, We simply aren't a club capable of gaining promotion; and as such our signing will reflect that. We can't go out an sign players on exorbitant wages; or go and bid £100K+ on players - we're a essentially in a very precarious financial position as it is; so where is this magic pot of money that some seem to think we have to go and buy players like Adam Le Fondre or Cody MacDonald et all? It's pipe dream stuff. I know we all want our club to achieve all it can do; and as the season starts the dreams of promotion are nice to have and all that - but many fans for me need to have an honest look and see where we're at a club; and then be realistic enough to lower their inflated expectations.

Last night wasn't poor IMO. We did look long for Matt Smith from goal kicks, kicks from hand from Cisak and from throw in's down the flanks - but we also mixed it up and counter-attacked with the ball on the deck too. I wouldn't say we are now a long-ball side. Yes we now have that option in Matt Smith; and again he impressed me in the role of 'big target man upfront', but it's not all about that from us.

We have 2 very capable & decent full-backs, who as opposed to under Penney, are actually encouraged to get forward & overlap. Taylor (& Morais to a lesser extent) put some cracking balls into the box. Parker & Winchester looked bright when they came on. Reuben Reid had his best game for us IMO last night. The signs are there for me; we need a win on Sat to get the ball rolling, to stop some sections of our fan base from moaning already (it’s the 10th August FFS) and we'll take it from there.

We've played 1 league game and 1 cup game. It's the 10th of August. There are still 20 days of the transfer window remaining if PD can find the right couple of players. We play a side on Saturday who are easily on the same financial playing field to us, and I for one think 3 points is easily achievable with the team we have. Roll on Saturday for me, I can't wait to make the trip to Yeovil and support our side.

[end of essay!!]

I left the game gutted but I feel we are nearly there, Smith hit crossbar on a couple of occasions.

Cisak- dropped a couple and punching wasn't great but he made some good saves- 8 (MOM)

Lee- Made some good tackles and interceptions, also got forward a few times- 7

M'Voto- Still looks slow, but was alot more solid- 6

Diamond- See M'voto- 6

Black- Made some good tackles but they created alot from the right- 5

Morais- Still getting up to fitness, and it showed- 5

Furman- Not his best game seemed abit off last night- 5

Wes- Up for a scrap, won the pen and good debut alround- 7

Taylor- Was poor by his usual standards but still looked dangerous- 6

Smith- Looked dangerous and will score when he gets used to the pace of the FL- 6

Reid- Way, way better than Saturday, and not far off being a good striker at this level- 7

Some relevant facts from last night:

1. We were beaten by a team that is arguably considered to be of the same standard as us

2. PD continually states "we must improve" or "we have to learn..."

3. Greg Abbott said much the same after their opening game defeat

4. By all accounts, Carlisle turned their game around after the half-time talk - where presumably their manager identified our weaknesses and changed the team around to take advantage of those weaknesses.

5. PD's half-time assessment however .....?

Let's hope that first victory arrives soon because no-one wants to be in a relegation struggle so soon in the season - we all know Latics suffer badly when confidence drops so let's hope for a morale-boosting victory this coming weekend.

We don't look like scoring, we had the opportunities to score a few last night but we have no one with the scoring instinct to put the ball in the net.

2 games in, 1 goal from a penalty.

Last night was very frustrating. We have some good players but the amount of silly mistakes they are making is crazy. We look inexperienced.

You are of course entitled to your own opinion - I have a different one to you though.

I haven't read the thread at all; other than this OP; so I'm not sure if others will have similar opinions to me on this or not?

I thought last night was promising. The signs are there; and we're not a million miles away from a competitive; very decent L1 side IMO.

Saturday was always going to be a tough ask; against a side still made up of 80-90% of the players they had in the Championship. Last night we played a side who are one of the sides 'in & around' us in terms of budget & ability to attract players (actually they could well have more budget than us but you get my point); so it was going to be more of a gauge of where we're at.

For me - we couldn't be separated in 120mins of football, and we competed with them; and created more clear-cut chances than them over the course of the game. We look bang on where we should be; and if PD can get 1 or 2 more in (and that's all it needs I think; another option in CM and another option up-front) then we might just be able to kick up another few places.

We should all be realistic here. With the financial constraints he is under as a manager; I think PD has done very well indeed to bring in the likes of JYM, Diamond, Cisak, Smith, Wesoloski & Parker; all of which look to be very decent players for our level and have improved us in their respective positions. We can't realistically expect to match it & mix it in terms of transfer with the likes of Charlton, Hudds & Sheff Utd; as we just don't have the backing they have. I happen to think that a large chunk of our fan base need to actually take stock; and become far more realistic in terms of their expectations - both in terms of what the team should be achieving on the pitch; and the transfers we should be making off it. Purely financially, We simply aren't a club capable of gaining promotion; and as such our signing will reflect that. We can't go out an sign players on exorbitant wages; or go and bid £100K+ on players - we're a essentially in a very precarious financial position as it is; so where is this magic pot of money that some seem to think we have to go and buy players like Adam Le Fondre or Cody MacDonald et all? It's pipe dream stuff. I know we all want our club to achieve all it can do; and as the season starts the dreams of promotion are nice to have and all that - but many fans for me need to have an honest look and see where we're at a club; and then be realistic enough to lower their inflated expectations.

Last night wasn't poor IMO. We did look long for Matt Smith from goal kicks, kicks from hand from Cisak and from throw in's down the flanks - but we also mixed it up and counter-attacked with the ball on the deck too. I wouldn't say we are now a long-ball side. Yes we now have that option in Matt Smith; and again he impressed me in the role of 'big target man upfront', but it's not all about that from us.

We have 2 very capable & decent full-backs, who as opposed to under Penney, are actually encouraged to get forward & overlap. Taylor (& Morais to a lesser extent) put some cracking balls into the box. Parker & Winchester looked bright when they came on. Reuben Reid had his best game for us IMO last night. The signs are there for me; we need a win on Sat to get the ball rolling, to stop some sections of our fan base from moaning already (it’s the 10th August FFS) and we'll take it from there.

We've played 1 league game and 1 cup game. It's the 10th of August. There are still 20 days of the transfer window remaining if PD can find the right couple of players. We play a side on Saturday who are easily on the same financial playing field to us, and I for one think 3 points is easily achievable with the team we have. Roll on Saturday for me, I can't wait to make the trip to Yeovil and support our side.

[end of essay!!]

Excellent!

We are signing players within our budget. More fans- more budget.

I have great faith in PD, and think what he has brought in on such a low budget, is more than alot of people probably hoped.

we need to get behind the team. The marketing people need to get some bums on seats.Kids are the future of our fan base. Nothing lost giving some free tickets away to some schools.

Is there a winger or anyone on the books who can actually cross a ball ? ...most other teams seem to have them.

The throw ins were again diabolical, no movement whatsoever, what do Latics coaches actually do all week ?

a good run from a throw-in led to the penalty, and i know on the mainstand side there was movement to look for smith's flick-ons.

I agree that our movement at throw-ins is very static at times. Although last night the throw-in that led to the penalty was something they have obviously worked on in training. It was tried again later in the game.

The most worrying part for me was that as soon as they got their free-kick their chins dropped before they even took it! As soon as it went in their whole bodies drooped. Second game of the season and the confidence is gone at 1-1.

Reuben needs to read smiths knock-ons. Dont think he read one all match.

Reid has no control-phil has too much!

Mvoto had a much better game.

Thought Zander kept his pace well.

Blacky half asleep at times.

Half a challenge taylor.

Carl showed why he is a great prospect.

Parker needs to be a bit more nosey but great pace.

Thought our midfield was missing at times and far too close together. Find the space.

Must be said that Ciask made a couple of superb saves and kept us in the game.

The question is how long are we going to have to wait for this team to gel?!

A good result sat is a must.

Keepin that champagne on ice

burgerdarts

+1, we've got a decent team that given time will come good. hope it wont take too long though.. if PD got his half time team talk right and kept the energy from the first half going, we'd have won in normal time. hopefully he'll learn from being 'bitterly disappointed' and put that right

Is there a winger or anyone on the books who can actually cross a ball ? ................ NO!!!! and I've been saying it for a year or two!

We'd be better off playing 4-3-3.............Everybody keeps raving on about Chris Taylor....if he was Championship quality he'd be there now!!!

Not had a winger who can cross a ball since David Eyres.

Agree on both points

rubbish! he's a solid L1 fullback. he can get better sure, and im looking forward to seeing him do that in an Oldham shirt.

In my opinion he's not. Often beaten by his man too easily giving free crosses away. And clueless going forward. Plays a lot more pointless balls down the line than Eardley ever did- the same sort Neal got booed for.

Easily better out there.

In my opinion he's not. Often beaten by his man too easily giving free crosses away. And clueless going forward. Plays a lot more pointless balls down the line than Eardley ever did- the same sort Neal got booed for.

Easily better out there.

I agree unfortunately

He's great at last ditch tackles but they're usually of his own making

Easily better out there.

I think there must be better out there as well. Often hoofs it and loses us possession needlessly when there is a better option on.

kieran Lee in midfield as the creator

He can tackle, quick moving with the ball, good passer and runner.

Give him a shot in there:

Cisak

Winchester Movoto Diamond Black

Furman Wesolowski Lee

Morais Parker

Smith

Taylor is utter :censored:e in respect of the team as a whole - constantly sweaing at officials over fcuking throw ins not going his way, rolls aorund when not touched and wonders why he doesn't get blatant free kicks; can't pass, can't shoot to any great extent.

He ALWAYS cuts inside and gets tsckled

Actually the on time he got past a man and CROSSED A BALL was when put to Right midfield WHERE HIS CAREER BEGAN.

If he plays i'd tell him 'you're playing right wing - i want 10 crosses from you every match (forces him to beat his man rathe than piss about with it) or you're not getting any bonuses' - he'd soon start doing his job then!

As stated though, sell the guy to the highest bidder. Pace but nowt else, no brain to anticipate anything attacking wise eg reading a flick on from Smith or, last night, controlling a ball and then putting it in the net instead of side footing over like an idiot.

we're a L1 team, not barcelona! taylor is one of the better players in the league and has been for the last 3 years or so, not sure why everyones on his back after one or two bad games

as for black, he's only had one full season. back end of last season he was getting better and better. i agree we need a LB, but someone as cover who can push black like evina did for that LB slot

kieran Lee in midfield as the creator

He can tackle, quick moving with the ball, good passer and runner.

Give him a shot in there:

Cisak

Winchester Movoto Diamond Black

Furman Wesolowski Lee

Morais Parker

Smith

Taylor is utter :censored:e in respect of the team as a whole - constantly sweaing at officials over fcuking throw ins not going his way, rolls aorund when not touched and wonders why he doesn't get blatant free kicks; can't pass, can't shoot to any great extent.

He ALWAYS cuts inside and gets tsckled

Actually the on time he got past a man and CROSSED A BALL was when put to Right midfield WHERE HIS CAREER BEGAN.

If he plays i'd tell him 'you're playing right wing - i want 10 crosses from you every match (forces him to beat his man rathe than piss about with it) or you're not getting any bonuses' - he'd soon start doing his job then!

As stated though, sell the guy to the highest bidder. Pace but nowt else, no brain to anticipate anything attacking wise eg reading a flick on from Smith or, last night, controlling a ball and then putting it in the net instead of side footing over like an idiot.

Look; I'm really sorry to say - but that is utter drivel. Bollocks of the highest order.

Whether you choose to see or not, Chris Taylor is one of; if not the, best player we have.

Opposition managers see it (that's why he's doubled; sometimes triple marked), opposition players see it (the 'forceful' tackles that are put in on him) and opposition fans see it (message forums / chatting after the game etc)

Granted I too get a bit peed off with his theatrics sometimes; but to spout that amount of balls about our best player; well - you've shown yourself to be a bit of a mug really.

We sell Chris Taylor - we massively weaken our side; simple as really.

Edited by slystallone

The reason Taylor often cuts in from the left is as this can create panic in defences. Unfortunately when he does it he is often ineffective and whilst he will maybe smash one in from 25 yards this season that doesn't make all the other missed opportunities worthwhile.

I too would like to see him back on the right going to the line and whipping crosses in with his better foot (another reason why he doesn't often reach the touch line on the left is as he is then crossing with his left, his weaker foot, everyone has a weaker foot so no problem with that). Can't see why successive managers keep a right footed payer on the left side though!

Certainly one of our best and loves playing for Oldham, could be better used though IMO.

personally i havent rated taylor ever since the everton interest fiasco! i havent been to the first 2 games of the season due to i cant afford it but the commentary on latics player seems to say the same things in both - latics went to sleep in the second half which has cost us, seems familiar to last season. i hope things change to prove me wrong but if not , i fear a long season of ribbing from mates of mine who are bury and , once again, dogdale fans... no wonder my hairlines dissapearing at a rate of knots!!

Taylor brings something different in which he winds up the opposition which then means they are more likely to lose their temper, therefore playing worse and likely to do rash tackles, which can lead to them being booked or sent off. He does annoy you constantly cutting in, but if we can get black getting down the line aswell, black can go overlap him out wide, and then taylor will have choice of passing to black who can cross it in and will be more effective than taylor crossing from the left, or taylor can carry on cutting inside with option to shoot or pass. Also when one our players get a bad tackle, whilst taylor running in is annoying, its also good in that he knows not to raise his hands so he can't be sent off, whereas he can provoke oppo player to hit him (which is probably very tempting). Selling would be stupid, as he is one of the better players we have and brings stuff to the team that non of our other players do.

Some have found their boo boy, I like Taylor always have. He does act like a fanny and stay down when he could get up, but he got when he got the ball smacked from like 4 yards into his balls. I would have been down after that, he also got stick for staying down when he landed awarkwardly when jumping for the ball. Sometimes people need to just calm down, the players get moaned at for not sticking their leg in front of someone coming in 2 footed or hard. One bad challenge can end a players, so yeah they are going to back out of some. Give them a break.

Some have found their boo boy, I like Taylor always have. He does act like a fanny and stay down when he could get up, but he got when he got the ball smacked from like 4 yards into his balls. I would have been down after that, he also got stick for staying down when he landed awarkwardly when jumping for the ball. Sometimes people need to just calm down, the players get moaned at for not sticking their leg in front of someone coming in 2 footed or hard. One bad challenge can end a players, so yeah they are going to back out of some. Give them a break.

I agree with most of that but I'm sick of seeing the 'some have found their boo boy' remarks when someone says they think a Latics player is crap. It's opinion; they're entitled to it. It's wrong in this case, IMO, but that doesn't mean the person in question is one of the cretins who turns up at BP to berate their own players.

I'm going off the reactions at the last two matches as well, it seems there some (mainly in the Mainstand) who are under the impression Taylor isn't good enough. People are calling on him to go on the right, who would they put on the left? How many left footers have we got I can only think of Black from the first team.