I hadn't noticed this until the Rochdale game where we kept two players wide on the halfway line and nobody down the middle.

Rochdale's response was to keep 3 players back - 2 on the wide men and one in the middle to cut out any break away.

I'd suggest a tactical improvement.

I hadn't noticed this until the Rochdale game where we kept two players wide on the halfway line and nobody down the middle.

Rochdale's response was to keep 3 players back - 2 on the wide men and one in the middle to cut out any break away.

+1

a bug-bare of mine from last season. Instead of helping, IMO it invited more pressure on us. Vs Dale at one corner we even had 3 left up IIRC? much better to do this as we can a.) quickly counter-attack and b.) it means they have to leave more men back instead of overloading the penalty box.

PD is learning from previous mistakes - a criticism of Shezs' ditractors in that he never did......

+1

a bug-bare of mine from last season. Instead of helping, IMO it invited more pressure on us. Vs Dale at one corner we even had 3 left up IIRC? much better to do this as we can a.) quickly counter-attack and b.) it means they have to leave more men back instead of overloading the penalty box.

PD is learning from previous mistakes - a criticism of Shezs' ditractors in that he never did......

its a great tactic...as long as those defending pick up there players and those clearing make sure it doesnt just get hoofed up ,that it gets hoofed to one of those left up..

city did this last week against bolton and very successful when it comes off,instantly releases pressure on you and puts it straight on them...

Agreed.

I was bangigng this drum (along with many others) most of last season when we would have everyone back with no outlet atall.

Conceeded a goal from a corner against Sheff Utd and from a free-kick against Carlisle. Still work to be done regarding set-pieces.

That's more to do with the specific's in the area - as others have said it's nice to see a variation / lessons learned attitude to the overall tactic.

I thought Cisak could have done better with it. If Brill was in net there would have been a field day on here.

I did say to the bloke next to me "this is in the top left corner".

Not sure how else it could have been defended though. The first two that Brill conceded (that basically stuffed him as a Latics keeper) came about from poorly constructed walls where everybody could see the weaknesses. Don't recall the wall leaving a huge gap v Carlisle.

I thought Cisak could have done better with it. If Brill was in net there would have been a field day on here.

The reason there would have been a field day on here is Brill conceded numerous goals from free kicks. Cisask so far hasn't. I personally thought the Carlisle free kick was a great effort.

It depends on who's playing. Against Sheffield United we had 2 big centre forwards and no midfielders to push on as Taylor is good in the air and Winchester is a good defender. Against Dale we had Parker and Morais who are not that good defensively so we are better leaving them up top.

I'd like to see someone stay up top for everything, but leaving 3 up can create space which is easy to exploit- see England v. Denmark WC2002.

Always 2 for me. It gives more chance of being in the best place if it comes to a foot race and gives them the chance of playing the other in or holding it up if the defence get goal side. I cant see why you wouldnt do it, its like walking down a crowded train carriage but not keeping an eye out for any views down cleavages.