I really felt sorry for this man.

I like Wenger and his approach to football and promoting youngsters, but I think the time is rapidly approaching where him and Arsenal need to part the ways. His approach isn't really suitable to a team with masses of money, which Arsenal are starting to have*. I also think Merson had a point, that there is no one helping him now Dein has gone and it looks like that help was more valuable than those in charge thought.

One team is going to take a major step back over the next few years with City coming in with the dosh. It looks like Arsenal or Liverpool (however much I want it to be United), and neither can afford to hang around on emotional history (if Daglish was to go bad, it would be the same point).

*Well, unless they miss out on fourth place, then it becomes a bit more relevant.

I can see, and admire, what he's trying to do, build a team from scratch and win the title with them, but it simply isn't possible nowadays with the amount of money the Mancs, Scousers and Chelsea are spending. He needs to get at least 2 world class players in before the window closes or he'll be lucky if they get into Europe full stop...

I like Wenger and his approach to football and promoting youngsters, but I think the time is rapidly approaching where him and Arsenal need to part the ways. His approach isn't really suitable to a team with masses of money, which Arsenal are starting to have*. I also think Merson had a point, that there is no one helping him now Dein has gone and it looks like that help was more valuable than those in charge thought.

One team is going to take a major step back over the next few years with City coming in with the dosh. It looks like Arsenal or Liverpool (however much I want it to be United), and neither can afford to hang around on emotional history (if Daglish was to go bad, it would be the same point).

*Well, unless they miss out on fourth place, then it becomes a bit more relevant.

I like Wenger and his philosophy too. He and Arsenal have never recovered from having to let Henry go and, just as he was starting to pull together something akin to the Henry, Pires, Ljundberg et al squad, last season, he's now lost Fabregas and Nasri and, again, it puts them out of contention for at least a couple of years.

Also, his baffling failure to strengthen his defence will be another factor that leads to the almost inevitable parting of ways.

Just seen Arsene Wenger live on sky after the 8.2 defeat, jesus he looks old, felt sorry for him he looked so dejected

yeah i felt the same, its like watching your dad get old knowing he is slightly losing it etc so sad :(

I like Wenger and his philosophy too. He and Arsenal have never recovered from having to let Henry go and, just as he was starting to pull together something akin to the Henry, Pires, Ljundberg et al squad, last season, he's now lost Fabregas and Nasri and, again, it puts them out of contention for at least a couple of years.

Also, his baffling failure to strengthen his defence will be another factor that leads to the almost inevitable parting of ways.

If he would have strengthened adequately in January, that arsenal team could have pushed Man U all the way, maybe even nicked it.

There is not a chance that both Nasri and Fabregas are going to be replaced by players of similar quality before the transfer window closes.

Don't feel sorry for him at all. PD (together with most managers in the country/world) would love a fraction of his budget and he's done sod all with it.

I agree, Wenger has spoken about the money he has to spend for a few years now, whilst Man.Utd, Liverpool and Citeh spent big, Wenger brought in a kid from Charlton and a kid from Southampton, he then plays them at Old Trafford against one of the best teams on the planet and wonders why he got smashed.

The bloke likes to play football the right way but his stubborness must be pissing off the Arsenal fans.

I went to the game today and was sat not far from the arsenal fans who before the game had banners showing their support to him but I didn't see any towards the end lol.

Arsenal had no midfield at all today and it just wasn't working for them they did little to change it and rightly so were hammered!

With that defense they looked like a league one side that zander diamond could get in.

I like Wenger's footballing philosophy and the way he wants the game to be played BUT; he frustrates the hell out of me & I'm not even a Gunners fan so god knows what its like for them. His stubborness is his downfall and will surely lead to be a parting of the ways sooner rather than later?

Everyman & his dog could see he needed to bring in a quality goal-keeper and strengthen his defence with proven talent. But he did nothing last season and it looks like he is going to do nothing again this transfer window.

He let's his 2 best players, his 2 'go too' players who were the creative sparks and epitomised his footballing ethos leave; without ready made replacements sourced and waiting to immediately come in.

He signs a kid from league one who hadn't played a 1st team gane for Charlton until Feb and expects him to be able to cope with Prem football straight away.....he spends pretty big on a young winger who has less than 20 games in L1 to his name and throws him in for a debut at Old Trafford - and he signs an unknown Costa Rican Striker when everyone can see its right down the core spine of his side he needs immediate attention.

He should have signed Shay Given, he should have got 1 or both of Roger Johnston or Scott Dann as soon as Brum were relegated, he should have bid properly for Phil Jagielka & Gary Cahill, and pushed hard for Chris Samba.

He needs proven Prem experience, he needs leaders who won't shirk the challenge........why he didn't go for Joey Barton I don't know (granted he's a tool, but IMO he's exactly what they need). Scott Parker is another one he should be in for - but he won't.

IMO its about time for a parting of the ways; before people forget his achievements and only start to remember his downward spiral these last 6 trophy-less years....

Sad to see him during the game and in the post-game interview BUT its his own making. You can't be that stuuborn and not spend as other around you do just that; and in doing so take over your position in the league.

New blood in the manager seat is needed IMO; a young dynamic manager who isn't afraid to spend the money that is clearly there and isn't afraid to address the obvious cracks in the squad.

I agree, Wenger has spoken about the money he has to spend for a few years now, whilst Man.Utd, Liverpool and Citeh spent big, Wenger brought in a kid from Charlton and a kid from Southampton, he then plays them at Old Trafford against one of the best teams on the planet and wonders why he got smashed.

The bloke likes to play football the right way but his stubborness must be pissing off the Arsenal fans.

Like I say, despite the things he's achieved in the past with Arsenal, I think he feels he's never really built a title winning side from scratch. That's why he continually signs youngsters, and plays youth players, despite an obvious lack of experienced and world class players in the side. Until he realises this is never going to happen, stops being so stubborn, and spends the resources he has now, they're going to keep going backwards. It's a shame, as the invincibles side was, from a neutral point of view, my favourite ever team to watch.

Another thing that has changed in his team structure is this:

Think back to his previous sides; particually the Invincibles - and think about the size of the players. He had 6ft plus players all over his previous sides; Adams, Bould, Keown, Petite, Viera, Gilberto, Edu, Henry, Pires, Lauren.....all big physical players.

Now look at his recent sides and its as though he has completely abandoned this idea and gone to small, nippy players - the likes of Nasri, Walcott, Arsharvin, Fabregas, Wilshire, Ramsey...and now Chamberlain and Joel Campbell too.

Its as though he trying to prove a point 'I've won it with a big team; now look at me do it with only small players'.....

His stubborness is his undoing.

Agree with this. I like him. He's brought some top, top players to England and has been on verge getting it together at Arsenal a few times, but then loses a couple of his best players.

He whinges about refs a bit too much, but that just seems to be the standard in the Prem for you these days.

I suppose another criticism would have to be his teams lack of discipline over the years, and a tendency to 'go foreign' ... although he has paid lots of money for the top, English talent on occasion.

Definitely been great for Arsenal and great for English football.

Edited by Yard Dog

I like Wenger's footballing philosophy and the way he wants the game to be played BUT; he frustrates the hell out of me & I'm not even a Gunners fan so god knows what its like for them. His stubborness is his downfall and will surely lead to be a parting of the ways sooner rather than later?

Everyman & his dog could see he needed to bring in a quality goal-keeper and strengthen his defence with proven talent. But he did nothing last season and it looks like he is going to do nothing again this transfer window.

He let's his 2 best players, his 2 'go too' players who were the creative sparks and epitomised his footballing ethos leave; without ready made replacements sourced and waiting to immediately come in.

He signs a kid from league one who hadn't played a 1st team gane for Charlton until Feb and expects him to be able to cope with Prem football straight away.....he spends pretty big on a young winger who has less than 20 games in L1 to his name and throws him in for a debut at Old Trafford - and he signs an unknown Costa Rican Striker when everyone can see its right down the core spine of his side he needs immediate attention.

He should have signed Shay Given, he should have got 1 or both of Roger Johnston or Scott Dann as soon as Brum were relegated, he should have bid properly for Phil Jagielka & Gary Cahill, and pushed hard for Chris Samba.

He needs proven Prem experience, he needs leaders who won't shirk the challenge........why he didn't go for Joey Barton I don't know (granted he's a tool, but IMO he's exactly what they need). Scott Parker is another one he should be in for - but he won't.

IMO its about time for a parting of the ways; before people forget his achievements and only start to remember his downward spiral these last 6 trophy-less years....

Sad to see him during the game and in the post-game interview BUT its his own making. You can't be that stuuborn and not spend as other around you do just that; and in doing so take over your position in the league.

New blood in the manager seat is needed IMO; a young dynamic manager who isn't afraid to spend the money that is clearly there and isn't afraid to address the obvious cracks in the squad.

Spot on.

The transfer window ends at 23:00 on Wednesday - Wenger (and everyone who follows the game) has known for a long time that:

1) Arsenal's defence needs strengthening

2) Fabregas and Nasri were bound to leave

3) Arsenals midfield simply could not cope with the loss of Cesc and Samir

4) Arsenal have been linked with Dann/Jagielka/Cahill but no signings yet

5) All of Arsenal's rivals had moved quickly to add quality to their squads (Henderson/Carroll/Downing/Enrique/Coates * at Liverpool for example)

I like Wenger and his footballing philosophy but this time he has dragged his heals and is paying the penalty.

Still expect him to turn it around and to stay at Arsenal though :o .

* soon to be completed

Edited by TheBigDog

As bad an afternoon as it was for Arsenal, describing their right-back as having "a holocaust" is still pretty daft.

Hmmm, he doesn't refer to it as 'the' holocaust though, so it is a generic use of the word. I can see what he's getting it and he certainly didn't mean it in an offensive or careless way.

That said, I can't for the life of me work out who uses that as a general turn of phrase. Hope he's just warned and doesn't lose his job over it.

Hmmm, he doesn't refer to it as 'the' holocaust though, so it is a generic use of the word. I can see what he's getting it and he certainly didn't mean it in an offensive or careless way.

That said, I can't for the life of me work out who uses that as a general turn of phrase. Hope he's just warned and doesn't lose his job over it.

It's a crass comment, but I reckon he was just reaching for a superlative and found the worst one. Happens all the time.

BTW - it had to be "a holocaust". "He's having the holocaust of a game" makes no sense. Besides, does Tony Cascarino know of more than one holocaust?