A good sight yesterday...

Sat next to three Asian lads (in their 20s) yesterday. Supporting the Latics .

Didn't get chance to find out how long they'd been coming but not long I'd hazard a guess from comments I heard and brief chat we had.

Really good to see, BP hasn't always been the most welcoming of environments for Asians, and maybe, just maybe, the start of something more . I know the club has been doing a lot with the Asian community.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sat next to three Asian lads (in their 20s) yesterday. Supporting the Latics .

Didn't get chance to find out how long they'd been coming but not long I'd hazard a guess from comments I heard and brief chat we had.

Really good to see, BP hasn't always been the most welcoming of environments for Asians, and maybe, just maybe, the start of something more . I know the club has been doing a lot with the Asian community.

I agree Pete, I have seen some asians in the past at the odd game, maybe the club could look at employing an asian to promote the club in their communites.

I used to do youth work at the centre in coldhurst which was heavily used by Asian males 13+. People from Latics were often in working with them. I used to try and drum up support too but it's hardwork as they all favoured the big clubs despite never actually going to games or even watching them on tv. Latics just aren't fashionable for them. This is encouraging news though.

I agree Pete, I have seen some asians in the past at the odd game, maybe the club could look at employing an asian to promote the club in their communites.

I've always said, for an area like Oldham it is vital to get the Pakistani populace coming to games. Frankly, I see no better way of doing this than signing a Pakistani international player. It may not work, but it's worth a go to see what happens. The lads I went to school with (from Pakistan or Pakistani descendancy) were mad about football, but were Liverpool fans (I guess this will have changed to Man Utd nowadays), but it's possible that they might follow one of their own ethnic group to a lower level.

We might want to ask them sbout this first though.

I've seen many over the years and never seen a problem.

comments like that won't give them much encouragement.

Stoke* and other games I've been to says 'no'. Sad, but it's what I've seen/heard with my own eyes/ears.

*Alright I've didn't see a Pakistani at that game, but it counts as the worst game I've ever been to for an obvious reason (in our end, not Stoke's). At other games I've seen 'problems'. Nothing violent, but stuff said between racists trying to be clever. It was like being in a Mensa meeting at times.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

and so it begins again.........the annual OWTB "why don't Pakistani's or Bangladeshi's come to watch Oldham?" thread

But it is a question that hasn't been answered and if we do could make a fortune for us.

Is positive discimination worth a go? I hate it, but just imagine the extra 1,000 or so fans...

I wouldnt want to see up sign (or not sign) any player on the basis of where they came from. Good enough and cheap enough does it for me and it wouldnt help anyone if we had a crap gimmick player keeping someone better on the bench. Hope the club keep knocking at all the different doors to get people involved across the town. With asians i guess we need to reach a point where enough go that you dont really notice it. I'm sure a lot of clubs went through similar with black fans.

But it is a question that hasn't been answered

it's been answered a million times.

it's a cultural thing. they, by and large, don't spend money on entertainment.

and, like most of Oldham's non-Muslim population, they certainly won't spend money to watch Oldham. or United. or City. or a boxing match. or a gig. or to go on holiday.

and, like most of Oldham's non-Muslim population, they certainly won't spend money to watch Oldham. or United. or City. or a boxing match. or a gig. or to go on holiday.

Sorry, but that is clearly bollocks. They may not go to football, but they spend money on entertainment.

I suspect they don't watch football due to the reputation it holds, true or untrue. But, I would suggest once you get one you get the lot. Once one says 'hey, it's alright' the floodgates will open. It's crossing that first boundary*.

*I seem to remember Leicester are streets ahead of anyone on this one.

absolute rubbish!!

whats your problem here?

that this has been done to death over & over a gain.

it's boring and predicatable.

someone will drop a clanger further down the thread and be shouted down as racist.

Michael Chopra & Harpal Singh will get a mention.

someone will use the term "coloured"

a few will be battling it out to outdo each other in the "right on" stakes

we'll be regaled with tales of Muslim 5-a-side teams who are mad on football etc...

someone will have had an enlightening conversation with one or more Muslim taxi drivers.

the fact that no Poles turned up to watch Pawel Abbott & no Kosovans to watch Kuqi yesterday will be ignored.

and at the end of 10 pages of bollocks no-one will have come up with a way of getting a single extra Muslim into Boundary Park against Stevenage.

But, I would suggest once you get one you get the lot. Once one says 'hey, it's alright' the floodgates will open. It's crossing that first boundary*.

so there we are.

the thread is about 3 saying "hey, it's alright"

so we'll know once and for all at the Stevenage game.

i suggest the thread be closed and reopened at 5pm on Saturday.

*I seem to remember Leicester are streets ahead of anyone on this one.

they will be.

they're the town with the largest ethnic population/percentage, therefore, they'll have the largest ethnic following.

Indians though. not Pakistani's or Bangladesghi's.

completely different.

Cant remember whether here or on jkl, but i did a survey of why you started going. Most was a close family member, a lot of rest where mates who started via the above. The lack of there factors is key to explaining why very few asians attend, although it doesnt tell us what to do about it

that this has been done to death over & over a gain.

I understand your boredom/frustration at the repeat of a thread over and over again. However, it is bigger than Micah Richards if we sort this. I'll be honest, I haven't got the answer - but if someone does it could be key to the survival of my club.

I'd like us to look into what Leicester (alright it is Indian not Pakistani) and Charlton are doing right what we are doing wrong. I don't think anyone would be against an extra bunch of fans turning up. What we seem to have done so far is pay lip service and ignore the community leaders/other groups that could help us.