A good sight yesterday...

again, what do you mean?

I really don't know how to say it any clearer. We have done what we think looks good to the equal opportunities PC brigade without doing anything useful. Like talking to/targeting community leaders, muslim (%-wise) schools or anything that looks like getting young Pakistani lads coming to games.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's been answered a million times.

it's a cultural thing. they, by and large, don't spend money on entertainment.

and, like most of Oldham's non-Muslim population, they certainly won't spend money to watch Oldham. or United. or City. or a boxing match. or a gig. or to go on holiday.

Most of that is rubbish. They spend plenty on entertainment, they spend on a boxing match (alot more because of Amir Khan) and they don't go on holiday alot because they prefer to save up enough so they can afford to go back to their country. From the asians i know, they don't attend football matches as they don't feel safe in the area (not inside the stadium).

I really don't know how to say it any clearer. We have done what we think looks good to the equal opportunities PC brigade without doing anything useful. Like talking to/targeting community leaders, muslim (%-wise) schools or anything that looks like getting young Pakistani lads coming to games.

i think targeting those of college age+ is worthwhile. those that will be able to afford to come and not rely on relatives taking them. also sow the seed by going into schools is a no brainer.

good.

i'd much rather we used our sparse resources on the other 90% - the majority - of Oldham's population that are more likely to actually come to a game

good.

i'd much rather we used our sparse resources on the other 90% - the majority - of Oldham's population that are more likely to actually come to a game

It's a fair point whether we should be targeting a bunch of people that have never shown up or those that previously have. I don't know. I am fairly aware of the rewards of targeting the White population, it'll pay off but not great. I don't know what we'd get from the Asian population. That really could be fantastic or awful. Is it worth the risk?

it's a cultural thing. they, by and large, don't spend money on entertainment.

and, like most of Oldham's non-Muslim population, they certainly won't spend money to watch Oldham. or United. or City. or a boxing match. or a gig. or to go on holiday.

This is an incredible claim.

So from this we assume that "they" are Asians and as a culture Asians do not spend money on entertainment, ergo won't spend it on football, boxing, holidays, or gigs.

Is this fact?

This is an incredible claim.

So from this we assume that "they" are Asians and as a culture Asians do not spend money on entertainment, ergo won't spend it on football, boxing, holidays, or gigs.

Is this fact?

In this instance "they" are as "they" are who the person that started the thread was posting about. (you need to try harder)

Asia's a very big continent. The biggest we've got in fact.

Pakistani's and Bangladeshi's, for whatever reason, are noticable by their absence in the majority of places I spend my disposable income.

This may just be an amazing coincidence. It may not be.

Whether it's fact or not, we don't know.

And I certainly hope nobody wastes any money finding out.

Just as I hope we as a club don't waste any money trying to get them to a game.

In this instance "they" are as "they" are who the person that started the thread was posting about. (you need to try harder)

Asia's a very big continent. The biggest we've got in fact.

Pakistani's and Bangladeshi's, for whatever reason, are noticable by their absence in the majority of places I spend my disposable income.

Whether it's fact or not, we don't know.

And I certainly hope nobody wastes any money finding out.

Just as I hope we as a club don't waste any money trying to get them to a game.

so just because you don't see many Asians were you go means that they dont spend money on entertainment? :unsure:

I try as hard as a need to and in this instance, there's really no need to try very hard at all.

You claim that Pakistani's and Bangladeshi's do not spend money on entertainment - I just want to clear this up, I'm sure it's not a fantastic generalisation.

You see, I'm fairly sure that they do no matter where you decide to spend your free time. Just because you don't see them doesn't necessarily make it so.

I didn't see any at the Craig Watson fight at Oldham Sports Centre the other week

Maybe not at that game, but they are slowly starting to attend more boxing matches, like i said previously, largely to do with Amir Khan.

It's a fair point whether we should be targeting a bunch of people that have never shown up or those that previously have. I don't know. I am fairly aware of the rewards of targeting the White population, it'll pay off but not great. I don't know what we'd get from the Asian population. That really could be fantastic or awful. Is it worth the risk?

I'd say worth the risk, even if we only attract a few to games.

Maybe not at that game, but they are slowly starting to attend more boxing matches, like i said previously, largely to do with Amir Khan.

but only Amir Khan.

i went to the Khan v Barrera fight and I was first struck that there quite a few there then secondly struck that, actually, there weren't that many considering.

I'd say worth the risk, even if we only attract a few to games.

i disagree

but only Amir Khan.

i went to the Khan v Barrera fight and I was first struck that there quite a few there then secondly struck that, actually, there weren't that many considering.

i disagree

It's a start though? As i said, they slowly are.

And why do you disagree?

I dont want to see up wasting money failing to attract any new fans to games, i want us to succeed in doing so. I dont think its going to help if we decide that people from failsworth, fat kids, muslims or left handers are never going to be interested. Starting from a near zero take up rate gives the potential for more growth than pushing the existing cope market. How do we get people who havent been before to come and enjoy the experience? Thats the question

I dont want to see up wasting money failing to attract any new fans to games, i want us to succeed in doing so. I dont think its going to help if we decide that people from failsworth, fat kids, muslims or left handers are never going to be interested. Starting from a near zero take up rate gives the potential for more growth than pushing the existing cope market. How do we get people who havent been before to come and enjoy the experience? Thats the question

Well a start would be the club making sure there are halal options available for Asians if they do attend.

I've always said, for an area like Oldham it is vital to get the Pakistani populace coming to games. Frankly, I see no better way of doing this than signing a Pakistani international player. It may not work, but it's worth a go to see what happens. The lads I went to school with (from Pakistan or Pakistani descendancy) were mad about football, but were Liverpool fans (I guess this will have changed to Man Utd nowadays), but it's possible that they might follow one of their own ethnic group to a lower level.

We might want to ask them sbout this first though.

Here's a chance for Latics scouts to have a look at some prospects;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-14648228

This thread is the most pointless load of bollocks I have ever read.

If people (anybody) wants to come to Latics, they are welcome.

If they dont (again, anybody) they :censored:ing wont!

I think it's a topic worth discussing as do over 40 others so far.

I think it's a topic worth discussing as do over 40 others so far.

There are 8 people who have commented on this thread (count them back if you like :grin: , INCLUDING me) not 40.

Point I am making is it doesn't matter what colour or religion you are, if you want to come to Latics you are welcome by 99%.

If you dont, dont.

Simples!

This thread is the most pointless load of bollocks I have ever read.

If people (anybody) wants to come to Latics, they are welcome.

If they dont (again, anybody) they :censored:ing wont!

Understand what you say, but people have it in their heads that they aint welcome, and think that they may suffer abuse if they come.

Understand what you say, but people have it in their heads that they aint welcome, and think that they may suffer abuse if they come.

Like I said 99% will not give anyone any grief, the 1% who will say something are just as likely to upset any of us regardless of who we are!