A good sight yesterday...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The two main problems that Oldham have in attracting the towns BME population to games is both cultural and football related.

In the past it was the case that Asian families wouldn’t spend money on entertainment activities especially on those which were predominantly made up of white working class males in a prejudicial environment hence the cultural barrier.

Oldham now has a different make up of its BME population where some Asians are third or fourth generation ‘British Asian’ and the spending habits are much the same across the board in all walks of life.

We now have the problem of being a third division side playing in a three sided ground charging £23 surrounded by two of the biggest clubs in the world playing the best football in the country.

With city doing offers of three games for £60 where do you think the new generation of football fan would go?????

We don't need to spend time trying to bring people back, true fans will come back in time. We need to try and get new fans in, the lack of Asians or indeed all ethnic miniorties is a worry, and lets be honest Oldham is not the most liberal town. There is still a lot of negative feeling from both Asian Oldhamers and Non Asian Oldhamers after the race riots, the majority of the club's fanbase are not racist and would welcome anyone to the club regardless of colour or creed. The problem is it only takes one idiot to say something and it will ruin the expirence for any ethnic minority, and could put them off for life.

This not a club issue but a cultural one, until 100% of racism is erdicated from the town we will never see a large Asian fanbase.

We don't need to spend time trying to bring people back, true fans will come back in time.

So what your saying we don't need to market the club at all?

Sorry don't believe that we should be open to all ideas and shouldnt leave a stone unturned trying to get people through the gate, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Like you I'm not going to need a marketing idea or people coming into my community to get me through the gate at Boundary park but other people might do.

it's been answered a million times.

it's a cultural thing. they, by and large, don't spend money on entertainment.

and, like most of Oldham's non-Muslim population, they certainly won't spend money to watch Oldham. or United. or City. or a boxing match. or a gig. or to go on holiday.

They do spend money on entertainment. Unfortunately that rules out latics as I wouldn't describe the last 5+ seasons as entertainment!!!

This not a club issue but a cultural one, until 100% of racism is erdicated from the town we will never see a large Asian fanbase.

I don't think it's as simple as eradicating racism. It's also about identity. How many ethnically asian people identify themselves as English/British first and foremost, or even better, don't identify with their "race" at all, but see "race" as a non issue. The ethnically asian people that are close to me would certainly fit into latter category, but I don't know what the general feeling is amongst the inhabitants of Oldham these days.

Over the generations though, i'm sure "race" will become a non issue for the vast majority, and people who are from ethnic minorities will find it alot easier to identify with Oldham as being "their town" as much as anyone else's, and therefore OAFC as "their club".

Any suggestion that marketing the club is a waste of time is nonsense. The club need to work as hard as possible to get the kids from Oldham's ethnic minorities (as well as all other kids from the town) involved in anything and everything associated with the club.

There's little point trying to hook the twenty or thirty-somethings though as the rewards would be minimal at best.

With one in four newborns this year coming from a non-English mother, marketing will have to change and minds will have to open in order for the club I love club to survive.

Viva la change

KC

Perhaps some of these business people could be persuaded to join the Latics board ?....a few are Manchester based.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/2808595/Top-20-Richest-Asians.html#1

Edited by BP1960

I think kyle has nailed it there. Re: food etc, I didnt ask how we make it a good experience for first time asian fans, but for any first time fans. As it happens i'm sure many of us would love a halal friendly meal at 4 o'clock, but that's another question

I for one would refuse to eat Halal meat due to the Methods of slaughter used.

Edited by SholverBlue

Agree with this.

The reason Asians won't come to Latics is the same as why non-Asian Oldhamers won't - poor value for money at the end of the day. If you're not already a fan, why bother when you can go to City for the same price or watch Premier League on TV?

nice contribution

I'm right though. People using the thread as an excuse to air racist views. This isn't 1978. Kids don't wear Paki pumps anymore. It's 2011, let's grow up a bit.

And while I'm on, those of you that wouldn't eat halal food because of the methods of slaughter need to go for a walk round a normal slaughter house. It's not the Hilton hotel. It's grim. Anyone who thinks the cow that provided last nights burger was put to sleep and stroked till it slipped away is dreaming.

I'm right though. People using the thread as an excuse to air racist views. This isn't 1978. Kids don't wear Paki pumps anymore. It's 2011, let's grow up a bit.

And while I'm on, those of you that wouldn't eat halal food because of the methods of slaughter need to go for a walk round a normal slaughter house. It's not the Hilton hotel. It's grim. Anyone who thinks the cow that provided last nights burger was put to sleep and stroked till it slipped away is dreaming.

You just didnt give an opinion with your first post. Now i know where u r coming from. I agree with this post.

You don't need to. It's just an option for any Asians who do turn up, and are able to buy something to eat. You wouldn't like it if you turned up to a game and couldn't anything to eat due to what your religion believes in would you?

I am with you on that one and I suspect those who are all for it don't have a clue what is involved.

I know what is involved..

You wouldn't like it if you turned up to a game and couldn't anything to eat due to what your religion believes in would you?

Fortunately for me, I don't believe in magic so will eat whatever I choose rather than what someone else tells me to.

If there wasn't any food I liked at a football match I'd bring my own. Let's worry about the product on the pitch rather than in the kitchens!

...those of you that wouldn't eat halal food because of the methods of slaughter need to go for a walk round a normal slaughter house. It's not the Hilton hotel. It's grim. Anyone who thinks the cow that provided last nights burger was put to sleep and stroked till it slipped away is dreaming.

Very true.

The KFC thread is still IMO the high watermark of owtb comedy.

The Chicken Crusade is indeed one of the modern greats.

It can be read here: KFC-gate - The Chicken Crusades - OWTB Forums http://bit.ly/nfw6xs