What do you like about going to Boundary Park?

I think its fair to say we have had a fair share of posters who have stated their reasons for not going or no longer attending Boundary Park and the matchday experience of Boundary Park.

Now we can't ignore the reasons why people choose not to attend, just as we can't ignore the state of Boundary Park or currently what the long term prospects for the club are. It would be unfair to totally chastise these people for their reasons as well, we can't drag people from their homes and force them to sit through 90 minutes at Boundary Park and pay for the priveledge.

However alot of these posts can often come across as somewhat self indulgent and in some cases pretty repetitive. Their also seems to be an assumption that those such as the 2408 of us that turned up on Monday do so because their lives revolve around Oldham Athletic well mine doesn't and I would imagine neither do the majority of those that did either. So I thought I would start a thread on what people actually like about attending Boundary Park whether that be one reason or several.

For me its very much the little things that can make the difference. If I get their in good time and enough my group is going I will go and grab a pint in the Clayton green and then chat to mates who I wouldn't see during the week and catch up on life.

Then I sup up walk to the ground and take my seat in the main stand. In between the pub and outside and in the ground you see people. people who you don't know but youve seen them at an away game or even sat next to at BP, theirs that gobby so an so as well everyone sits near one but like you he sits there.

Then you look out into the ground and you look round the ground and the memories come back

Straight across to the lookers and where I first watched a Latics game back in 1990 I looked what could have been with Oldham Arena and think :petesake: . I also think what we could do if we did a proper job on that side of the ground.

Then I look at the RRE it looks pretty spectacular when its full of away fans singing just before KO and sounds superb and I wonder what might be if we had it full of our own, but doesn't it look even better when you see the silence coming out of a packed RRE after we go 1-0 up like when Kuqi scored against Hudds or better still Vernons goal against City in 2005 or better still Adams far post header in march 93.

Then theres the chaddy end the home end again so many memories Andy Ritchie slamming one into the bottom corner against Arsenal in November 89 or Redders Pen in May 91 or even the more recent ones Taylors last minute winner against Millwall in 2009 David Eyres putting us 1-0 up in the play off semi in or even something like Matt'o'Hallorans last minute winner against Rushden after the summer of hell.

Then theirs the game itself now I bought a season ticket this season fully in the knowledge that I will see plenty of performances like Brentford 2 weeks ago which will leaving me question my life choices, however their will be those game like Monday where the players put in a good performance and I feel the need to give them an ovation as they leave the pitch its always a good feeling beating a team you know can beat us. Plus their is always the chance of the unexpected, think a game like Plymouth last season on the face of it a fairly bog standard league 1 fixture could have been another Brentford but it produced 6 goals and 2 sendings off and 2 last minute winners.

Then theirs coming on here and seeing how people view the game which is always good even if I'm amazed at how differently people may see it to me. Its always good to see what people think.

So in conclusion for me its a social thing probably the only thing I do with my Dad, watching the game and seeing every now and again the unexpected.

Its not the be and all and end all of my life 95% of my mates aren't Oldham fans, but its what I love doing every other Saturday and the odd Tuesday and offers a chance to get away form the everyday stresses of the office and trying to pay the bills.

What does everyonelse like a about going to the game?

Edited by GlossopLatic

I haven't been a lot over the past 4 years, so I'll gloss over the times I have been in that period and hark back a little bit.

When I did go regularly, I loved meeting my dad, uncle and their mates in the pub beforehand, having a few beers and then trotting down at 2.55pm. Most people were in the ground by that point, so upon getting to the turnstiles we could hear a bit of noise. Got in the ground (main stand paddock) and took up our seats; actually, my seat was the concrete 'step' as they all had STs and the other seats around them were also reserved. A couple of times a steward collared me, but only if it was a non-regular one - there were a couple who were fine with it. Half time, watching my dad on his phone checking his horse racing bets; trying to avoid the toxic clouds emanating from GFW's rectum; sometimes having a pie and a cuppa.

Sometimes the football was good. Sometimes it was bad. Most of the time it was crushingly average. But, yeah, I enjoyed myself. Back to the pub afterwards, nice and tidy.

These were in the days of diminished responsibility, so maybe that's why I'm getting all misty-eyed :grin:

monday summed it up for me. i was waiting at oldham bus station with plenty of time for a 409 that didnt show up. at five to eight another bus arrived which could have taken me home and avoided a loss in the pooring rain with no crowd but i got out at the hospital and ran down sheepfoot lane, for a match i was convinced we'd lose. got in 20 mins late and saw 70 minutes of performance like i did.

so basically, i go in the hope that we'll put on a performance and i can walk away impressed

He did do a very slow dribble and mis-hit sidefoot pass to return the ball to their player on the Lookers side of the ground just after they'd scored.

I was quite impressed at the slowness given the state of the game, although he claims it was accidental.

He's gutted it wasn't picked up on Sky+!

Being able to set off for the game at 2:30 from the far end of Shaw & being able to stroll in with no queue , get a pie & coffee , sit almost anywhere by 3 PM .

I like the old stadium , I have never wanted a new soulless corporate version.

where do you sit??

i always have to queue for all of the above.

I must admit that I turn up at every home game in true belief that we can win (except when we're playing the likes of Southampton, then it's a draw.haha). Even if we have 11 reserves on I believe we can win. Sounds stupid but that's how I feel. I used to sit with the the grandparents and my cousin but as they moved to sit in the main stand after being in the Lookers stand i decided to move to RRE because I'm partial to a little singing.lol. For me, singing for my team and showing the opposition fans the V's when we score.....that's why I come to Boundary Park

Surprisingly I enjoy watching the football.

The standard of league 1 football is very high in the grand scheme of things. I also love the English league system with almost 5 professional divisions. It is extremely competitive. I love to think there is a chance that somehow our small club could fluke its way into The Championship.

I dont go as much as I used to, lost a bit of the love, but still really enjoy seeing the unexpected victories like last Monday. I wish I could go Tranmere tomorrow but its not to be!

Surprisingly I enjoy watching the football.

The standard of league 1 football is very high in the grand scheme of things. I also love the English league system with almost 5 professional divisions. It is extremely competitive. I love to think there is a chance that somehow our small club could fluke its way into The Championship.

I dont go as much as I used to, lost a bit of the love, but still really enjoy seeing the unexpected victories like last Monday. I wish I could go Tranmere tomorrow but its not to be!

I like the view from my seat - it's better than watching on the tele :wink: