Olympic Torch Coming to Oldham

It's been announced that the Olympic Torch will be coming to Oldham on the 24th June next year.

I think it would be great if the torch was to pass Boundary Park, the towns major sports stadium.

The club and council should try to liaise with whoever it takes to get them to take the route past the stadium.

Would be great also if someone like Joe Royle got the chance to run with the torch at the ground.

What does everyone think?

It's been announced that the Olympic Torch will be coming to Oldham on the 24th June next year.

I think it would be great if the torch was to pass Boundary Park, the towns major sports stadium.

The club and council should try to liaise with whoever it takes to get them to take the route past the stadium.

Would be great also if someone like Joe Royle got the chance to run with the torch at the ground.

What does everyone think?

What's Big Fat Joe done to you to want to put him in an early grave? :lol:

What's Big Fat Joe done to you to want to put him in an early grave? :lol:

:lol: run/walk/hop however he wants to do it. I just think it would be good if the route came past here, boost the profile of the club a bit being linked in a small way to the Olympics.

• 4 months later...

will be fun watching it get through the chaos at mumps !

can ANYBODY explain why a perfactly good viaduct was pulled down in exchange for a road level crossing that will STOP the bussiest road junction in the burough every six minuits !

only in oldham

can ANYBODY explain why a perfactly good viaduct was pulled down in exchange for a road level crossing that will STOP the bussiest road junction in the burough every six minuits !

only in oldham

The tram eventually wont cross Mumps Roundabout (from 2014), it will come down the side of Brook Street and up Union Street.

only in oldham

Optimism.

The tram eventually wont cross Mumps Roundabout (from 2014), it will come down the side of Brook Street and up Union Street.

and then it gets to Manchester street roundabout where again its crossing on the flat ! so thats

Still chaotic and a waste of both time and money.

The tram will go under the flyover at Manchester Street so will only be as disruptive to the traffic coming off the bypass at Manchester Road as the traffic coming around the roundabout from Manchester Street and off the flyover from the Royton end. Only difference is that the traffic will be governed by lights rather than by a roundabout.

The advantage of the tram will be that it will eventually actually take you right into town, rather than the hole on the wrong side of the bypass that was Mumps Station.

How did you find this out? As I don't recall seeing a list of torchbearers

http://www.london2012.com/games/olympic-torch-relay/torchbearers/search.php?bearer-location=northwest&community=Oldham&search-submit=Go

Published on Monday along with the route on official website.

Most of the stages have a similar spread of people. i think what they have done is choose the people and then give them a spot rather than choose the towns and pick people from them. I believe they have tried to give people a place in the relay passing within an hour of where they live - not quite sure how that's worked with Warrimoo!

The only person i know who has been selected to carry it, lives in Oldham and is carrying it in Hudders a couple of hours after it's been through Oldham!

Edited by astottie

http://www.london2012.com/games/olympic-torch-relay/torchbearers/search.php?bearer-location=northwest&community=Oldham&search-submit=Go

Published on Monday along with the route on official website.

Most of the stages have a similar spread of people. i think what they have done is choose the people and then give them a spot rather than choose the towns and pick people from them. I believe they have tried to give people a place in the relay passing within an hour of where they live - not quite sure how that's worked with Warrimoo!

The only person i know who has been selected to carry it, lives in Oldham and is carrying it in Hudders a couple of hours after it's been through Oldham!

Cheers for that- it might have something to do with where they live for some of the obvious non locals. For example there is a Chinese bloke carrying the flame through Heywood who lists his home town as Shenzen, it's quite likely he has business interests in the area/lives locally but was bought up/born in China. I think he may own the local Chinese.