FA Cup - Liverpool v Oldham - 26 February 1977

Anyone remember 26 February 1977?

My late father, who was a born and bred Liverpudlian, took me to the 5th round tie at Anfield. I can remember standing at the side, which seemed tightly packed with Latics fans. My Dad cheered his adoptive team, and for a 4 crazy minutes we were level 1 - 1 with the mighty 'pool. Halcyon days.

Liverpool 3 Oldham Athletic 1

Liverpool: Clemence, Neal, Jones, Thompson, Kennedy, Hughes, Keegan, Case, Heighway, Toshack, Callaghan

Goal(s) Keegan (21), Case (31), Neal (pen 73)

Oldham Athletic: Platt, Wood, Blair, Bell, Hicks, Hurst, Robins, Shaw, Halom, Chapman, Groves

Goal(s) Shaw (27)

Att: 52,455

My late father, who was a born and bred Liverpudlian, took me to the 5th round tie at Anfield. I can remember standing at the side, which seemed tightly packed with Latics fans. My Dad cheered his adoptive team, and for a 4 crazy minutes we were level 1 - 1 with the mighty 'pool. Halcyon days.

Liverpool: Clemence, Neal, Jones, Thompson, Kennedy, Hughes, Keegan, Case, Heighway, Toshack, Callaghan

Oldham Athletic: Platt, Wood, Blair, Bell, Hicks, Hurst, Robins, Shaw, Halom, Chapman, Groves

Goal(s) Shaw (27)

I was 18 days old…the two legged league cup tie was the season before I started coming to games but I went to 5 out 6 games in the top-flight against them. Highlight was the 3-2 win in May 1993, Act II of the Great Escape Trilogy. Low point was being stood on the Kop as Andy Barlow put through his own goal to allow Liverpool from nowhere to clain all three points in October 1993, I was gutted. I ahve a soft-spot for LIverpool and have some LIverpool roots but walking back through Stanley Park they were all "jammy scouse bastards!". Sulked all the way home….

Goal(s) Shaw (27)

I went. Heighway got booed relentlessly for diving for the pen.

I was introduced to knives at football at this match. Always made me laugh when they said that scousers were the best football supporters. Yes Latics did themselves a lot prouder than that score line suggests.

Edited by Lags

I had the worst seat at any football ground in the country .

The main stand support post dissected my seat and there was half a seat on each side of it.

Thought it was a joke until the steward told me sit which ever half you want or get out !!!!!!

In the second half when the highway robber fell over 2 yards outside the box and the ref pointed to the spot i was glad to get up and leave. :ranting::ranting:

Mind you Everton a few years ago made up for having to visit that sh*te city again. :lol::lol:

Edited by losesome

Can anyone remember us playing Liverpool in the FA CUP at Boundary park it must have been late 50s or early 60s I think we lost 2-1 or 3-1 they had a great team then I stood behind the goal at the open end as it was then,I remember us scoring but it was not given because Taylor a defender burst the ball when he shot that would have put us level at 2-2 the place was packed that day, though we lost we did ourselves proud good old days.

i was there. Not very nice. We were followed by a large mob all the way from the ground through Stanley Park, kicked and punched and spat at - really frightening as i was only 13!!!

I was there too, seemed like the coaches parked miles from the ground and we really had to run the gauntlet after the game. Never forget David Shaw's goal though and we were still in it until they got the third.

Can anyone remember us playing Liverpool in the FA CUP at Boundary park it must have been late 50s or early 60s I think we lost 2-1 or 3-1 they had a great team then I stood behind the goal at the open end as it was then,I remember us scoring but it was not given because Taylor a defender burst the ball when he shot that would have put us level at 2-2 the place was packed that day, though we lost we did ourselves proud good old days.

Just noticed a separate thread on this subject.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

My dad was there , he reckons liverpools second goal was the widest margin offside goal in history !!!!!!!!!! :o:o

was 11 at the time went with mydad and older brother who like me was unimpressed when my dad insisted we were in the right part of the ground as he had been during his national service !

yep youve guessed we were in the cop ended up right at the front untill the pen then saw nothing else as gota busted nose during one of the infamouse cop surges when the pen went in and was "looked after " by a number of locals who had my newly bought silk scarf away !

watched it all the next day on the Granada sports programme good old kiss of death sindstat comentating did we ever win when he comentated on us ?

Goal(s) Shaw (27)

. . . and 35 years later I will return to Anfield!

:)