Safe Standing Approved

The big problem:

There is no jurisdiction under Scots law preventing standing areas returning, with only an amendment to the SPL's rules required.

There is, I believe, such a restriction in the law of England and Wales.

Any chance this could get approved in england before we rebuild?

I doubt it.

how much would a safe standing area - if any - add to the total capacity of any given stand? for example if we were to make the rocky safe standing, how would the 4600 capacity be affected? ive always thought that the same space for a standing place, and the current seat space is the same, meaning the rocky would hold exactly the same. is this correct?

I think it will be another generation of football fans before standing becomes widely exceptable in England. Todays decision makers went to the footballin their fomative years in "the bad old days". TBH so did I!

and I much prefer to sit !!! -I can still sing/shout/swear and put my point accross

Added to which Mrs Latic, who grew up in the bad old days but doesn't go to matches, would not have allowed our boys to go to matches unless they were sitting!!

I think it will be another generation of football fans before standing becomes widely exceptable in England. Todays decision makers went to the footballin their fomative years in "the bad old days". TBH so did I!

and I much prefer to sit !!! -I can still sing/shout/swear and put my point accross

Added to which Mrs Latic, who grew up in the bad old days but doesn't go to matches, would not have allowed our boys to go to matches unless they were sitting!!

Good points, but I dont think anyone has ever said lets make the whole ground standing. If it was possible, an area of around 500 standing places in the new stand would be amazing. Mind you, building work and any new stand would be pretty amazing.

how much would a safe standing area - if any - add to the total capacity of any given stand? for example if we were to make the rocky safe standing, how would the 4600 capacity be affected? ive always thought that the same space for a standing place, and the current seat space is the same, meaning the rocky would hold exactly the same. is this correct?

I believe the normal ratio (cant remember where I've read it but I have) is 1.5 standing places for one seat.So a stand that size could hold 6900 BUT the RRE wasnt designed for standing - it's been a long while since I've been in there so I cant remember the size of the steps so if you ripped them all out and put crush barriers all over the shop and maybe extra exits etc etc then it'd be somewhere below 6900 methinks.

I cant see there being any change in the law any time soon I'm afraid. I'd love standing areas to come back, I'd probably plump for the seats most of the time but they'd put so much more atmosphere into games and they'd allow the next generation of fans the chance to afford games and get hooked for life.

To any doubters then I say get yourself a cheap flight to Germany and check out a Bundesliga game. Megaphones,flags and fireworks arent up everyones street but the singing & general noise are something special.Plus you can have a pint on the terrace,magic. 'They' would obviously never allow us any of that but it's nice to have a dream.

Good points, but I dont think anyone has ever said lets make the whole ground standing. If it was possible, an area of around 500 standing places in the new stand would be amazing. Mind you, building work and any new stand would be pretty amazing.

Fully agree, there seems to be a 'head buried in the sand' mentality when it comes to talking about bringing approved standing (obviously many still stand regardless in certain situations e.g. away games) back to football stadia. Understandably no one wants a return to the bad old days style terracing but this new type of standing areas would never mean that. We can still keep to tickets for seats etc. I remember the most recent campaign to get standing back and have the bill talked about in parliament and i actually wrote to my MP but he used the same out of date logic that many still use that standing is out the question etc.

Standing isn't unsafe in itself it was just the old style of terracing was definitely unsuitable for doing so and especially in large numbers (i.e. crushing). Plenty seem safe enough doing so at concerts and other sporting events why not football? Not saying the atmosphere would improve dramatically but at least it would stop those being ejected (like some of those in the rocky road end sometimes that are trying to create an atmosphere) on the grounds of them being persistent standers.

F**k me if its that dangerous but even the jocks can consider it and, especially Rangers, are already talking of installing said safe standing areas taking into account the highly tense old firm games they have then surely down here in England at least the lower flight of football can look at this as a potential goer!

If this s brought in, could it be used in the lookers until the develop of a seating stand? Just temporarily until we have enough money for the stand.

Edited by oafcmad09