Falklands/ Argentina

Lukers1

Is anyone else a bit concerned that this could be our next war?

When there is oil involved it usually = war.

Just been to Argentina found the people to be lovely.

Shame for it all to kick off again over black gold.

How many litres of petrol is a persons life worth?

I wonder how Argentina's defence spending is getting on since the world fell out of their economy's arse several years before Greece's did. One sub could sink their whole navy, and i reckon four proper planes and lots of missiles could do the same to their air force. But i am still pissing myself at it being Vince Cable's resignation setting it off. Surely it will be gypsy Muslims?

Its not going to happen...

The islands are far more protected than they where ever before... Last time they pretty much rolled up and walked on land... This time they would have one hell of a fight on their hands to land...

Last time we didn't have thousands of our troops patrolling our own capital, or in Afghanistan/Iraq. Fortunately when our troops are going to be helping to provide security for the Olympics is the wrong time to try and invade the Falklands.

I'd agree that we can defend it a lot better this time- and could prevent an Argentinian landing before they could even see the islands.

I wonder how Argentina's defence spending is getting on since the world fell out of their economy's arse several years before Greece's did. One sub could sink their whole navy, and i reckon four proper planes and lots of missiles could do the same to their air force. But i am still pissing myself at it being Vince Cable's resignation setting it off. Surely it will be gypsy Muslims?

This is about self-determination. If the Bennies think they'll be better off with Argentina, they'll go with the Argentineans. If not, they'll keep flying the union flag.

Argentina's GDP increased by about 4% a year between 2000 and 2009, and it had a visible trade surplus of $18,528 million in 2009, which shows that defaulting and unpegging your currency works. The top 5 countries in its export market include Brazil (obviously) and...(wait for it)...China.

On the other side of the equation: we spend about 4% of our GDP on defence; Argentina spends up to 1.5%. Our GDP for 2010 was $2.173 trillion; theirs was $596 billion. (PPP exchange rate).

Won't happen any time soon. You read it here first.