First Latics Match

Sorry if this has been done before, I did try searching for it and turned nothing up.

Was chatting to a friend the other day and asked what the first Latics game he attended was; the one that got him hooked. He made me feel really old by his response!

Oldham 0-2 Chelsea; FACR3 (2/1/99?) Vialli 2 goals in the second half. I remember it well.

Mine was Oldham 3-0 Shrewsbury (3/3/89). My dad took me. I remember they draped a crude Shrewsbury banner on the perimeter fencing of the old open RRE.

What was everyone else's?

I took my son to the opener this season (aged 48 days!) in the home kit. Got to start them young.

My father in law wanted him to be a C*ty fan, couldn't have that. Had to get in first.

First match for me was October 94 away at West Brom, I was 5 years old and the Hawthorns seemed massive! We lost 3-1 but I didn't see any of the goals as I was in the West Brom end and fans in front of me stood up as the just before the goals went in!

First ever Latics memory was of the 93/94 game at Swindon, my brother and dad were inside the ground and me and my mum were waiting outside the ground for them. The "big" floodlights and noise from inside the ground got me hooked on the football atmosphere!

A week or so after we got beat by Forest at wembley we played Wolves at home on a thursday night,drew 1-1,Redfearn and Bull,this was my first game at boundary park and I was persuaded to go by my two Burnley supporting mates.I think it was 90-91 and i`ve missed only one home game since,Birmingham,I was at a wedding in Birmingham believe it or not.My wife passed away in December and her first game was Man U at wembley in 93 and the Birmingham game was the only one that she missed.

A week or so after we got beat by Forest at wembley we played Wolves at home on a thursday night,drew 1-1,Redfearn and Bull,this was my first game at boundary park and I was persuaded to go by my two Burnley supporting mates.I think it was 90-91 and i`ve missed only one home game since,Birmingham,I was at a wedding in Birmingham believe it or not.My wife passed away in December and her first game was Man U at wembley in 93 and the Birmingham game was the only one that she missed.

Palmer scored for us, Winger Steele scored a late equaliser mate - 3rd May 1990

Sorry to hear about your wife

Newcastle at home in 1982 - the one where Kevin keegan was making his big comeback - it ended 2-2 and I remember there were geordies in every part of the ground! I was in the main stand paddock and there was a geordie having a p**s against the back of the old brick dugout!

Was this the one where they had 2 sent off , think McDermott was one , and failed miserably to beat 9 men ?

Roger Palmer Testimonial game.

Can't remember anything other the score though!

yep, won 3-2 Marshall, Jobbo and inevitably Palmer! Over 15,000 in the ground and it was the night we were presented with the 2nd Division Championship Trophy great night and made up a little for me missing the Sheff Wed game a couple of days earlier….