Latics v Colchester

Yes mellor is better than black by a country mile , defensively and attacking wise. Centre midfield were awful tonight winchester at least wanted the ball though , Tom must have had about two touches. Refering to lee's distribution he didnt have much on at all tonight no one showing especially when kmb went off leading to the scott mcniven balls down the line. Simpsons set pieces on the whole were poor bar a couple, one which produced the goal but why not let mellor or morais have a few ? mix it up . If both furman and wes are out for pretty much the rest of the season we are going to struggle. we cant get a foothold

I'm a happy clapper, and i didn't think we had an overall bad performance. Thought we deserved to win. Not going to pick apart why we didn't. However, I thought Mellor and Winchester were poor. Thought we missed Taylor, Wes and Furms - nobody's fault we have 'square pegs and round holes' except sc's for being too poor.

On the substitution, it wasn't so much the fact he took Marsh-Brown off, it was pushing Simpson wide that was the problem.

Removed an important support to the central midfielders.

While none of the three had particularly good games, they all became less effective as a result of that change.

While we can blame Dickov if it reads well on here, he has to have the tools to do the job. If KMB was wrecked, should he have chucked on another rookie in Hughes? Winchester was tired, but there were no obvious legs on the bench to replace him (Diamond to the back Tarky to the middle perhaps, followed by another square pegs in round holes disucssion on here). Kuqi was tired, but can Smith really lead the line instead? Is Reid outstandingly likely to come on a score a goal from outfield play?

Tools to do the job. A couple of thousands season ticket holders nearly matched by special offer riders isn't going to fund that, is it?

There was a simple quick option for me last night....

Winchester was totally lost in midfield, a straight swap with mellor would have seen him play full back where I think he would have been (slightly!) more comfortable last night as his head was all over from minute 1. Mellor into his natural position may have seen us hold on to the ball a bit more....

On reflection that's now 8 points from 15, our best run of the season back in September and October was the same, Every cloud and all that. A point at home to Colchester is always a point gained given how they bight, scratch and fight for every ball and in that final 15 minutes of the first-half we played some good stuff. The way I look at it is that we're a point closer to survival only 13 more to go from 16 games with Scunny, Yeovil, Bournemouth, Orient, Charlton, Preston and Carlisle. The midfield is an issue but despite that we've picked up those 8 points from the last 5. I expect there'll be a fair few slappings before the end of the season but against the mediocrity we have mainly got left at home we should be ok, and pick a point or two away and it's likely but for a complete capitulation we'll finish around where we are, which is a fair assessment of where we are.

Not much to add to what seems a pretty consistent set of views.

We played with 7 adequately good performances - but that's not enough to win matches. Thre of the non-performers were young and we have to let them learn from mistakes. Problem is too many in one match and we're struggling.

Mellor was possibly the most disappointing youngster. Positionally he's still learning so I can bite that bullet. But his poor passing had nothing to do with inexperience. Midfield player? Possibly but he's got to improve this.

Adeyemi - anonymous last night which was a let down after Saturday. didn't see him get forward like he often does.

Winchester - Poor for the goal. Hopefully he'll learn from that . Get shut . And don't give away free kicks in death positions!

Simpson - Going through a off colour patch.

Other random musings.

Don't agree with the view that Kuqi has no pace. He often chases and outruns defenders - did it on Saturday, did it last night.

Morais - two good performances in a row. Skilful, thoughtful, and committed.

Tarky - yes, I think he has potential to be a midfielder, but it could be a bit early to atart swapping him about. Try him in that position in Rserves?

Smith - sorry Matt but I haven't seen the performances to say you can make it at this level. And I'd give him five yards start and Kuqi would catch him.

But it was the type of match we'd have lost in recent seasons - top 12 finish for me.