Season tickets for £100

Im pretty crap at Maths so I'm asking for help from O4U and Prozac.

If the club did look at the 100.00 season ticket offer would we break even.

This is obviously the only way we are going to get people in the ground and with the increase in game day revenue would it drastically harm the club?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2300 x , average of say £250 , = £575000 (and our average price may be higher, depends on proportion of concessionary STs)

So that's 5750 at £100 .

But Hartlepool sold less and gave kids tickets even cheaper I think so less income.

Maybe more progs and lucky draw but it would be touch and go.

Catering - currently we don't get all the proceeds so that would be dependent on length of contract.

Mercandising - difficult to assess.

No.

Well if you looked at a oost of 150 adults and base it on that 5500 is an achieveable number to attract thats around 825,000 in revenue.

Although I apprecitae your post Beag, we can expect another decrease in attendences next year if we keep overcharging for a bad product.

Im just waiting for our first 1500 gate( which I fear is not to far away)

Well if you looked at a oost of 150 adults and base it on that 5500 is an achieveable number to attract thats around 825,000 in revenue.

Although I apprecitae your post Beag, we can expect another decrease in attendences next year if we keep overcharging for a bad product.

Im just waiting for our first 1500 gate( which I fear is not to far away)

That bold bit is the key bit, as I think you're wrong unfortunately.

5,500 adults to commit to a (granted discounted) season ticket is pipe dream stuff. Too many have lost the faith; and promotion offers have shown that finances aren't the overriding factor in lapsed fans non-attendence.

That bold bit is the key bit, as I think you're wrong unfortunately.

5,500 adults to commit to a (granted discounted) season ticket is pipe dream stuff. Too many have lost the faith; and promotion offers have shown that finances aren't the overriding factor in lapsed fans non-attendence.

Maybe if we looked at 150 accross the board then, I dont know but its blindingly obvious that something needs to happen to get fans back,

I go to every home game but won't be buying a season ticket at any price.

The reason is I like sitting in the Rochdale Road End (I stood in the Chaddy in the 80's ),it has a terrific view.

Why on earth do I as the customer have to go to the club & exchange my ticket for the Chaddy whenever we are booted out of it.

This is the 21st century , it is not how you treat the customer.

Although I apprecitae your post Beag, we can expect another decrease in attendences next year if we keep overcharging for a bad product.Im just waiting for our first 1500 gate( which I fear is not to far away)

I've had a season ticket for as long as I can remember, about 20 years now. It works out about £13 per game at present. I will blindly renew it each season for as long as there is breath in my body. It's what I do.

Now if I were a more casual supporter who woke up on a Saturday morning and was 50/50 whether to go to Latics or not, would I pay £22 to watch 2 generally poor 3rd division teams slog it out for 90 minutes? Errrr, probably not no...

In the ground as it currently sits? It won't work. The owners' desire to knock things down doesn't make it a place that people want to come to.

Stick up a shiny new stand where the Lookers was, throw in a bit of positive spin and a co-ordinated campaign starting in January (instead of April) and give it a bloody good go? Yes. It might just break even, bring back the lapsed and change some habits for the following season as prices revert to £300+.

There's an underlying demand there. Carlisle £2 game. Liverpool tickets. To a lesser extent the Golden tickets.

It might not be £100. Perhaps £150 is closer to that break-even mark. Perhaps upping kids prices to a fiver might be needed to offset some of the cost (loathed to do it, but it's been £3 for a long time and perhaps keeping season tickets at £50 in this age range can mitigate things).

In the end, the owners of the club have to underwrite such an initiative. If it fails they are out of pocket. If you can fill the away end with 4,000 away fans at £23 a pop, great. But I don't think any of the top 7 in League Two are going to bring that many and it's likely two sides that would are going to leave League One.

Edited by opinions4u

You can cover yourself from an income shortfall by doing the same as 'Pools and having a sliding scale, for example if 5,570 are sold they are £100, if 5,000 sold £130, if 4k sold £180, etc. so that it remains cost effective for the club.

I have been told the one thing they did increase heavily financially was advertising. The one thing they did do, which I suspect we would probably match, is go on a nine game losing streak at home. Which arsed up their crowds.

I've had a season ticket for as long as I can remember, about 20 years now. It works out about £13 per game at present. I will blindly renew it each season for as long as there is breath in my body. It's what I do.

Now if I were a more casual supporter who woke up on a Saturday morning and was 50/50 whether to go to Latics or not, would I pay £22 to watch 2 generally poor 3rd division teams slog it out for 90 minutes? Errrr, probably not no...

You have put my point accross more elquently, especially about being 50/50.

The club could at least take out some meaningful research into the idea, not pipe dream stuff.

If not we are going to have a bigger problem hext season which I think will be too late to solve.

I go to every home game but won't be buying a season ticket at any price.

The reason is I like sitting in the Rochdale Road End (I stood in the Chaddy in the 80's ),it has a terrific view.

Why on earth do I as the customer have to go to the club & exchange my ticket for the Chaddy whenever we are booted out of it.

This is the 21st century , it is not how you treat the customer.

You can use your Rochdale Road End season ticket at the turnstyles in the Chaddy end on the occasions that the RRE is given over to away fans.

No need to change your ticket just turn up as usual but go through the turnstyles at the opposite end of the stadium.

The only time you need to go to the ticket office and change your ticket is if you want to change a ticket for the Main Stand uppper.

You can just turn up to get into the paddock and Chaddy end.

In the ground as it currently sits? It won't work. The owners' desire to knock things down doesn't make it a place that people want to come to.

Stick up a shiny new stand where the Lookers was, throw in a bit of positive spin and a co-ordinated campaign starting in January (instead of April) and give it a bloody good go? Yes. It might just break even, bring back the lapsed and change some habits for the following season as prices revert to £300+.

There's an underlying demand there. Carlisle £2 game. Liverpool tickets. To a lesser extent the Golden tickets.

It might not be £100. Perhaps £150 is closer to that break-even mark. Perhaps upping kids prices to a fiver might be needed to offset some of the cost (loathed to do it, but it's been £3 for a long time and perhaps keeping season tickets at £50 in this age range can mitigate things).

In the end, the owners of the club have to underwrite such an initiative. If it fails they are out of pocket. If you can fill the away end with 4,000 away fans at £23 a pop, great. But I don't think any of the top 7 in League Two are going to bring that many and it's likely two sides that would are going to leave League One.

I think there is a demand there like you said O4U.

Its the clubs responsibility that it prices to attract new/lapsed fans.

In regards to the white elephant which is the new stand. It would be great if the club/council can come forward and update the paying fans.

Part of my life is OAFC but I still cannot say or know what the plans are for the developement. ( which is worrying) and if I have missed any news or update may I appologise.

The last news on the stand was that they'd get new investors and start building "early in 2012" - and that there'd be no further updates until those investors appeared.

So that would be no further updates then ...

Early 2012?, bloodyhell, then this is pretty worrying stuff.

This is strangling the club, forget the Mark Hughes goal, the owners knocking the stand down maybe the biggest nail ever to be hit in the coffin.

I would much rather we went down the route of charge say £180 for an adult season ticket and the 25pounds regardless of who we play on the day teams like the sheff sides, hudds, charlton would still bring the fans and lets be honest teams like yeovil, exeter bring sod all anyway

I would rather sting the away fans for them to pay into our club and have a guareented 3500 season ticket holders from us and then sweep up on the fans who comes now and again

I would charge something minuate like 40pounds a season ticket for kids as most will have an adult with them play on them like that, i dont think anyone can argue having more people in the staduim is much much better, plus more people there means more chance of selling programmes, food, drink, merchandise etc

Its a bit of a risky tatic but the response to the golden tickets goes to show people only dont go because of the price

Hartlepool have proved it can work

Could Latics reduce the season ticket prices to £100? Yes, easily, BUT.......

You get what you pay for, and the team you would get as a result of the £100 season tickets probably would not be capable of competing in League 1.

Whilst price is probably the reason why some genuine Latics fans don't go, if it was the main reason then I honestly think the takeup of the golden ticket offer would be much higher. The true test of success with this offer will be the first Saturday gate that's part of the offer.

But as has been said by others, whilst price may be a reason for some not attending, I don't think it is the main reason, as if it was I think the takeup on the offer would be substantially higher than what it was. Unfortunately for Oldham, I think it simply boils down to fans (or should I say former fans) being simply fed the :censored: up of the club for a variety of reasons, and who can blame them.

I would much rather we went down the route of charge say £180 for an adult season ticket and the 25pounds regardless of who we play on the day teams like the sheff sides, hudds, charlton would still bring the fans and lets be honest teams like yeovil, exeter bring sod all anyway

I would rather sting the away fans for them to pay into our club and have a guareented 3500 season ticket holders from us and then sweep up on the fans who comes now and again

I would charge something minuate like 40pounds a season ticket for kids as most will have an adult with them play on them like that, i dont think anyone can argue having more people in the staduim is much much better, plus more people there means more chance of selling programmes, food, drink, merchandise etc

Its a bit of a risky tatic but the response to the golden tickets goes to show people only dont go because of the price

Hartlepool have proved it can work

But that statement isn't right is it?

Financial reasons are a factor for sure; maybe it can be argued one of the biggest ones, but to blindly say it's the only reason is naive to say the least.

• What about the 3 sided ground? I know more than few who haven't been since the Lookers was dropped.

• What about the ground itself - it's a crumbling wreck, and is hardly a hospitable environment to encourage people to come along?

• What about being in the same division for what feels like 50 years, playing the same old same old sides again & again?

• What about uninspiring player signings time after time? And letting better players leave time & again?

• What about personality clashes with club employees? Again I know a few who now don’t go after clashes with Hardy, Barry Owen & Corney himself.

• What about the god-awful football that has been served up for long periods over the last 10 years - Talbort, Moore, Penney; even Shez & PD have overseen some woeful performances.

Yes the cost factor is an issue - and I agree something (quite what I don't know) needs to be done. But I think you need to look a lot deeper than to simply say lowering the prices will see fans flocking back in their thousands. because it won't. *

.* and all that is from a ST holder who like others will blindly & (stupidly!) renew knowing full well all the above remain pertinent issues. We must be mad!!

How I'd price it..

Platinum Season ticket - £175, What you get. - All Home games including all cup home games (JPT, FA Cup and Carling) Priority away games, I.E liverpool. If we go out early doors - tough. You pay your money, you take your chance. - 1 Bring a friend for a fiver ticket and 1 bring a friend for a tenner ticket.

Season ticket - £150 What you get - All home league games - 2nd Priority for away games and 1st priority for home cup games. 1 Bring a friend for a fiver ticket and 1 bring a friend for a tenner ticket.

Members £85 - Half the vouchers in the season ticket book. Can be used in any order for any league game, in any stand. 1 Bring a friend for a fiver ticket.

Pay on the day and away fans Price £25. Kids - £10

Cup game Prices: (As said all are covered in a platinum season ticket):

Jpt - up to and including northern semi final: £10 - Northern final: £15 (Kids - £8 / £10)

Carling Cup: rd's 1 + 2: £10 - 3rd round onwards £15 (Kids - £8 / £10)

FA Cup: RD's 1 + 2 £10, Rd 3 onwards: £20 (Kids - £8 / £10)

Whether it'd work, I don't know.

I certainly think the "half vouchers" idea should definately be explored.

Edited by pukka

2300 x , average of say £250 , = £575000 (and our average price may be higher, depends on proportion of concessionary STs)

So that's 5750 at £100 .

But Hartlepool sold less and gave kids tickets even cheaper I think so less income.

Maybe more progs and lucky draw but it would be touch and go.

Catering - currently we don't get all the proceeds so that would be dependent on length of contract.

Mercandising - difficult to assess.

One thing not mentioned is that there will be very few pay on the day home fans as they would have all bought a season ticket.

Say we have an average of 1200 pay on the day home fans x £17 is around 20k a game x 23 is £460K which we would lose from pay on the day fans as well as the £575k we get from season ticket sales. So I'd guess we would need close to 10000 taking up the offer at £100 a ticket.

One thing not mentioned is that there will be very few pay on the day home fans as they would have all bought a season ticket.

Say we have an average of 1200 pay on the day home fans x £17 is around 20k a game x 23 is £460K which we would lose from pay on the day fans as well as the £575k we get from season ticket sales. So I'd guess we would need close to 10000 taking up the offer at £100 a ticket.

This is what I believe has stopped oldham from doing such schemes in the past

You know I watched Late Kick Off the other night and Bury were commentating on the possible re-introduction of alcohol in the stands and their decision to start selling under the stand again after a hiatus, their attitude was "if we sell 100 pints, well that's a hundred pints we wouldn't have sold previously". I thought what a refreshing 'speculate to accumulate' attitude, the Golden Ticket initiative was a bold (if totally necessary) initiative that needs building on. I think Broady's got his work cut out, the first thing he needs to consider is using the Pie and Pint offer more sparingly and sell the £100 packages more aggressively, we seem to have simply given up trying to sell the sponsorship and corporate packages that bring in the bunce. The pie and the pint offer is all well and good against Walsall on a Tuesday night, but surely the Hospitality Suites should be sold out for the visits of Charlton and Preston, not to mention the last game of the season v Carlisle.

We've a new team now in Neil Joy, Jenny Warburton, Broady and Michelle the new shop manager - let's come up with long-term strategies that make the club viable. previously i've been against a mega-cheap season ticket but why not try a tiered scheme like Hartlepool did? No early bird offers, just the following….fans pledge their commitment with a non-refundable £50 deposit, the rest of the money is debited by a final deadline of 31st July….

1000 ST £399 each = £399,000 = £17.34 a game

2000 ST £349 each = £698,000 = £15.17 a a game

3000 ST £299 each = £897,000 = £13 a game

3500 ST £249 each = £871,500 = £10.83 a game

4000 ST £229 each = £916,000 = £9.56 a game

4500 ST £199 each = £895,500 = £8.65 a game

5000 ST £179 each = £895,000 = £7.78 a game

6000 ST £159 each = £954,000 = £6.91 a game

6500 ST £129 each = £838,500 = £5.61 a game

7000 + £99 each = £693,000 = £4.30 a game

Fill the ground, fill your boots with merchandising and a decent choice of food, good programme, golden goal tickets, strike it lucky tickets etc, etc….. For this to work and to absorb the loss of match to match income the merchandising and match-day food, programmes, beer etc, etc needs to be spot on….

This could work if aggressively marketed, push the get your season ticket for £99 angle, highlight that not the doom and gloom scenario of £399…push it in the Chron, Evening News Website and keep people informed daily. £249 Season Tickets - Bronze Target of 3,500 ST Holders, £199 ST's Silver Target of 4,500 ST holders, £159 Season Tickets - Gold Target of 6000 and £99 ST's - Platinum Target of 7000 + if aggressively pushed it WILL work.

Edited by oafcprozac

You know I watched Late Kick Off the other night and Bury were commentating on the possible re-introduction of alcohol in the stands and their decision to start selling under the stand again after a hiatus, their attitude was "if we sell 100 pints, well that's a hundred pints we wouldn't have sold previously". I thought what a refreshing 'speculate to accumulate' attitude, the Golden Ticket initiative was a bold (if totally necessary) initiative that needs building on. I think Broady's got his work cut out, the first thing he needs to consider is using the Pie and Pint offer more sparingly and sell the £100 packages more aggressively, we seem to have simply given up trying to sell the sponsorship and corporate packages that bring in the bunce. The pie and the pint offer is all well and good against Walsall on a Tuesday night, but surely the Hospitality Suites should be sold out for the visits of Charlton and Preston, not to mention the last game of the season v Carlisle.

We've a new team now in Neil Joy, Jenny Warburton, Broady and Michelle the new shop manager - let's come up with long-term strategies that make the club viable. previously i've been against a mega-cheap season ticket but why not try a tiered scheme like Hartlepool did? No early bird offers, just the following….fans pledge their commitment with a non-refundable £50 deposit, the rest of the money is debited by a final deadline of 31st July….

Fill the ground, fill your boots with merchandising and a decent choice of food, good programme, golden goal tickets, strike it lucky tickets etc, etc….. For this to work and to absorb the loss of match to match income the merchandising and match-day food, programmes, beer etc, etc needs to be spot on….

This could work if aggressively marketed, push the get your season ticket for £99 angle, highlight that not the doom and gloom scenario of £399…push it in the Chron, Evening News Website and keep people informed daily. £249 Season Tickets - Bronze Target of 3,500 ST Holders, £199 ST's Silver Target of 4,500 ST holders, £159 Season Tickets - Gold Target of 6000 and £99 ST's - Platinum Target of 7000 + if aggressively pushed it WILL work.

Nice work Prozac, how do we ( the fans) communicate it to the club?

This is what I believe has stopped oldham from doing such schemes in the past

Although I take your point, I dont think this core of 1200 will be enough.

The club cant gamble its future on 1200 ( floaters).

We could also add the option of pay what you like for your ticket (as long as its above the said amounts). Fc united done something similar last season where you pay what you like as long as its above £90, the average paid for each ticket was £160.

I'm sure there would be some fans who have paid £300 a season for years and would be happy paying £200 even if we did hit 7000 sales.