Season tickets for £100

We could also add the option of pay what you like for your ticket (as long as its above the said amounts). Fc united done something similar last season where you pay what you like as long as its above £90, the average paid for each ticket was £160.

I'm sure there would be some fans who have paid £300 a season for years and would be happy paying £200 even if we did hit 7000 sales.

Yeah that works too…

Charge no more than £20 on the day for floaters, £3 per game across the board still for Under 12s, £5 for Under 16s and stop pissing about with students, as long as they can provide written signed confirmation of a FULL TIME course at College or University then they can get in for the concession rate of a Tenner a game or a Student ST that starts at £179 and goes down by a tenner as we hit each milestone - they would still need to pay the £50 non-refundable deposit as a sign of commitment.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I take your point, I dont think this core of 1200 will be enough.

The club cant gamble its future on 1200 ( floaters).

Most definitely, although in all honesty that hasn't stopped the club in the past.

I think its blatantly obvious for some time that Oldham's strategy has been to tug on the heart string/play the sympathy card with the 'hardcore' and milk as much as possible out of them, as opposed to trying to attract new fans, probably influenced by the fact that its hard to attract new fans when Boundary Park is a three sided :censored: tip and little prospect of this changing any time soon.

it can only be hoped that behind the scenes, progress is being made regarding a new stand.

You know I watched Late Kick Off the other night and Bury were commentating on the possible re-introduction of alcohol in the stands and their decision to start selling under the stand again after a hiatus, their attitude was "if we sell 100 pints, well that's a hundred pints we wouldn't have sold previously". I thought what a refreshing 'speculate to accumulate' attitude, the Golden Ticket initiative was a bold (if totally necessary) initiative that needs building on. I think Broady's got his work cut out, the first thing he needs to consider is using the Pie and Pint offer more sparingly and sell the £100 packages more aggressively, we seem to have simply given up trying to sell the sponsorship and corporate packages that bring in the bunce. The pie and the pint offer is all well and good against Walsall on a Tuesday night, but surely the Hospitality Suites should be sold out for the visits of Charlton and Preston, not to mention the last game of the season v Carlisle.

We've a new team now in Neil Joy, Jenny Warburton, Broady and Michelle the new shop manager - let's come up with long-term strategies that make the club viable. previously i've been against a mega-cheap season ticket but why not try a tiered scheme like Hartlepool did? No early bird offers, just the following….fans pledge their commitment with a non-refundable £50 deposit, the rest of the money is debited by a final deadline of 31st July….

1000 ST £399 each = £399,000 = £17.34 a game

2000 ST £349 each = £698,000 = £15.17 a a game

3000 ST £299 each = £897,000 = £13 a game

3500 ST £249 each = £871,500 = £10.83 a game

4000 ST £229 each = £916,000 = £9.56 a game

4500 ST £199 each = £895,500 = £8.65 a game

5000 ST £179 each = £895,000 = £7.78 a game

6000 ST £159 each = £954,000 = £6.91 a game

6500 ST £129 each = £838,500 = £5.61 a game

7000 + £99 each = £693,000 = £4.30 a game

Fill the ground, fill your boots with merchandising and a decent choice of food, good programme, golden goal tickets, strike it lucky tickets etc, etc….. For this to work and to absorb the loss of match to match income the merchandising and match-day food, programmes, beer etc, etc needs to be spot on….

This could work if aggressively marketed, push the get your season ticket for £99 angle, highlight that not the doom and gloom scenario of £399…push it in the Chron, Evening News Website and keep people informed daily. £249 Season Tickets - Bronze Target of 3,500 ST Holders, £199 ST's Silver Target of 4,500 ST holders, £159 Season Tickets - Gold Target of 6000 and £99 ST's - Platinum Target of 7000 + if aggressively pushed it WILL work.

If the aim of that is to bring in as many as possible, I think you would have to start a bit lower than £399, otherwise there is a possibility that the price of a season ticket would rise considerably on what it is now. don't even think the club hit the 2000 mark this year?

You know I watched Late Kick Off the other night and Bury were commentating on the possible re-introduction of alcohol in the stands and their decision to start selling under the stand again after a hiatus, their attitude was "if we sell 100 pints, well that's a hundred pints we wouldn't have sold previously". I thought what a refreshing 'speculate to accumulate' attitude, the Golden Ticket initiative was a bold (if totally necessary) initiative that needs building on. I think Broady's got his work cut out, the first thing he needs to consider is using the Pie and Pint offer more sparingly and sell the £100 packages more aggressively, we seem to have simply given up trying to sell the sponsorship and corporate packages that bring in the bunce. The pie and the pint offer is all well and good against Walsall on a Tuesday night, but surely the Hospitality Suites should be sold out for the visits of Charlton and Preston, not to mention the last game of the season v Carlisle.

We've a new team now in Neil Joy, Jenny Warburton, Broady and Michelle the new shop manager - let's come up with long-term strategies that make the club viable. previously i've been against a mega-cheap season ticket but why not try a tiered scheme like Hartlepool did? No early bird offers, just the following….fans pledge their commitment with a non-refundable £50 deposit, the rest of the money is debited by a final deadline of 31st July….

Fill the ground, fill your boots with merchandising and a decent choice of food, good programme, golden goal tickets, strike it lucky tickets etc, etc….. For this to work and to absorb the loss of match to match income the merchandising and match-day food, programmes, beer etc, etc needs to be spot on….

This could work if aggressively marketed, push the get your season ticket for £99 angle, highlight that not the doom and gloom scenario of £399…push it in the Chron, Evening News Website and keep people informed daily. £249 Season Tickets - Bronze Target of 3,500 ST Holders, £199 ST's Silver Target of 4,500 ST holders, £159 Season Tickets - Gold Target of 6000 and £99 ST's - Platinum Target of 7000 + if aggressively pushed it WILL work.

We've now got about 2300 ST holders including concessionary ones. Maybe an average price of £250?

To make things really attrasctive the pricing would have to be £150 or below , and that's possibly going to get 4500/5500 St's sold.

Think your prices too high for people to gamble.

We've now got about 2300 ST holders including concessionary ones. Maybe an average price of £250?

To make things really attrasctive the pricing would have to be £150 or below , and that's possibly going to get 4500/5500 St's sold.

Think your prices too high for people to gamble.

Maybe so but the ideas a starting point, people in the club get paid to come up with pricing structures not me, i'm a teacher not an accountant - having Neil Joy as CEO gives us a unique ability to number crunch and to properly work out if such a policy is sustainable over a season. If you look at the starting figures the ST revenue is all around £8-900K with it slipping a bit if we sell 6-7000 ST. But that could be balanced by a proper, agressive retail and concessions strategy.

The prices may be too high, but the starting point is already over £300, rising to £399 so to sell 2,300 ST's (I heard more like 1,800 but I digress) then surely anything below that is on to a winner. The club being the club would look at a higher starting point than £250 its just Corney's mentality, 'always prepare for the worst case scenario', If it was up to me? I'd start at £299 and work backwards in chunks £30-50 until we got to £99 ST's

I like it in priniciple, may need some tweaking but....just one thing that stands out is in bold. How many people out there may think that £200 or below is fine to pay but £350 isn't.....therefore not wanting to risk the £50 in case the price didn't come down that far due to not as many as expected fans? It'd almost be a gamble for some folk, yet the current ST holders wouldn't have anythign to lose

I like Pukka's idea of Tiered season tickets.

Only question I would ask is with the Platinum season tickets. If you get into cup games for free (as part of ST cost) how do you distribute the money to the opposition sides?

As we would take our cut the opposition their cut and the FA theirs.

Would this technically mean we were operating on a loss if we got a few home games?

I like Pukka's idea of Tiered season tickets.

Only question I would ask is with the Platinum season tickets. If you get into cup games for free (as part of ST cost) how do you distribute the money to the opposition sides?

As we would take our cut the opposition their cut and the FA theirs.

Would this technically mean we were operating on a loss if we got a few home games?

I wouldn't have free cup games, for home cup games revert to Cat A, B, C

As for the issue of not committing to a £50 deposit, you could make the deposit refundable minus a £10 admin fee, there's loads of ways it could be done it just needs to be thought out with a will to deliver a workable scheme.

Like our new stand if people are willing to delve deep enough then it can be made possible. Lottery, Football Trust, Sport England etc..etc… all sources of grants to help fund a new stand. Or :censored: it do what Mongs, Chesterfield et al have done sell Boundary Park to a Supermarket and get the :censored:er built!

The cup games for season ticket holders has given me an idea (although it is a bit of a tangent)

Some season ticket holders have moaned about the golden ticket offer being unfair to them. How about offering season ticket holders the chance to purchase all the home cup games for £15? A sort of golden ticket for ST holder's, if we only have 1 home game in the cup its still cheaper than the pay-on-the-day price (judging by this season). It was noticeable that for the cup games this season (aside from the Chesterfield game), some ST holders didn't buy their seat. This season that would have meant 6 games for £15, but in other seasons it might mean 1 game for £15. A season like the current one means that buying a season ticket is more attractive to those who might not make enough games to make it worthwhile to get a season ticket. Those ST holders who don't want compensating don't have to take up the offer. It might be possible to allow those ST holders with cup golden tickets to buy 2 seats at premium cup games as opposed to 1 (which should arguably be the default).

The big issue with cheap season tickets is by reducing the price of a season ticket it means lots of people who will go to 10 games at £20 a go, get a season ticket as its cheaper, hence making the club less money. So although ST income is important as it keeps the club going without games, non ST income contributes as well, and cheap ST often means less income for the club. (I'm aware of the irony of posting an idea which will most likely reduce the club's income and then arguing against something as it will reduce the club's income).

The danger of a cheap season tickets scheme is not many home fans will pay on the day.

The temptation will be for the club to spend all the season ticket revenue pre and early season leaving nothing for a rainy day - a sure way to go bust.

The danger of a cheap season tickets scheme is not many home fans will pay on the day.

The temptation will be for the club to spend all the season ticket revenue pre and early season leaving nothing for a rainy day - a sure way to go bust.

Bit sensational. Clearly you need to build a financial model which would be based upon no on-the-day home ticket sales, as well as an increased price away tickets. As long as that looks viable and is met then it's anything but a sure way to go bust.

Bit sensational. Clearly you need to build a financial model which would be based upon no on-the-day home ticket sales, as well as an increased price away tickets. As long as that looks viable and is met then it's anything but a sure way to go bust.

Worth reading what a Portsmouth fan thinks of their plight;

"I have worked in finance my entire career and sadly I am going to lay this out for you. If the figures are as bad as everyone says we are doomed to be liquidated. We have obviously spent all the season ticket money which means we are really only getting the money from 5,000 tickets on match day. That will never sustain our out goings".

It's an old saying, but don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Edited by BP1960

"I have worked in finance my entire career and sadly I am going to lay this out for you. If the figures are as bad as everyone says we are doomed to be liquidated. We have obviously spent all the season ticket money which means we are really only getting the money from 5,000 tickets on match day. That will never sustain our out goings".

Not sure what your point is. If our current incomings support the outgoings (or near enough) and discounted season tickets could (I'm not saying they would - this would need to be looked at) raise the same amount, how can this be seen as any more likely to sink us than the current arrangement?

Portsmouth's figures have got sod all to do with us - that comment is based on their situation and their outgoings, not ours.

"I have worked in finance my entire career and sadly I am going to lay this out for you. If the figures are as bad as everyone says we are doomed to be liquidated. We have obviously spent all the season ticket money which means we are really only getting the money from 5,000 tickets on match day. That will never sustain our out goings.

Portsmouth are a bit more unique than your average club up :censored:-creek, namely the fact they are still paying off 2-3 ex-shady owners to the tune of millions. Parachute payments purely going to people that saw the club go into admin last time is a very shady situation. The best way out of it many Pompey fans reckon is to start over to get rid of the vultures lurking in the background.

As Stevie says, there has to be a sustainable model. Bradford have done it and so have Hartlepool, I suppose the figures from the Poolies won't be crunched properly until the end of the season. But I still think if the scheme can be viable it has to go hand in hand with a shock and awe marketing policy and Sales of merchandise and concessions to compliment, to be able to cope with larger crowds. That imo depends on gambling on taking control of our own destiny. So we need to show the Third Parties the door, catering, boozing, programmes et…. I know some of these deals are down to necessity due to us shafting our suppliers when Moore pulled the plug BUT that was 9 years ago, if the club can provide potential sales figures why not revert back to actually making money on food, programmes, beer…. Christ if you bought enough tinnies from the wholesaler, chill them properly then pour them into a plastic glass - charge £2.50-£3.00 for the privilege at Wholesale prices you would be making 2-300% profit and you know what people would lap it up!!!! That's all that happened in the old Lookers Paddock and for years they were sold warm! Same with pies, average pie in a shop costs about 80p, (Wholesale you're looking at half of that) sell 'em at £2.50 a pop quids in…..

Edited by oafcprozac

I don't think Simon Corney would be likely to spend all the income without thinking of the rainy day scenario!

Credit to his stewardship that we aren't in hock like other clubs.

But the pay-on-the-dayers will be factored in to any season's budget, so don't provide any such rainy day fund. And this season will have fallen short, since the potd numbers are terribly low; hence, all the more reason to consider other options of making people turn up and part with their cash.

Even if a £100 ST plan fell just short of budget, it would arguable be worthwhile, since it would get people through the gates and hopefully result in a greater number of people coming in the longer term.

Portsmouth are a bit more unique than your average club up :censored:-creek, namely the fact they are still paying off 2-3 ex-shady owners to the tune of millions. Parachute payments purely going to people that saw the club go into admin last time is a very shady situation. The best way out of it many Pompey fans reckon is to start over to get rid of the vultures lurking in the background.

As Stevie says, there has to be a sustainable model. Bradford have done it and so have Hartlepool, I suppose the figures from the Poolies won't be crunched properly until the end of the season. But I still think if the scheme can be viable it has to go hand in hand with a shock and awe marketing policy and Sales of merchandise and concessions to compliment, to be able to cope with larger crowds. That imo depends on gambling on taking control of our own destiny. So we need to show the Third Parties the door, catering, boozing, programmes et…. I know some of these deals are down to necessity due to us shafting our suppliers when Moore pulled the plug BUT that was 9 years ago, if the club can provide potential sales figures why not revert back to actually making money on food, programmes, beer…. Christ if you bought enough tinnies from the wholesaler, chill them properly then pour them into a plastic glass - charge £2.50-£3.00 for the privilege at Wholesale prices you would be making 2-300% profit and you know what people would lap it up!!!! That's all that happened in the old Lookers PAddock and for years they were sold warm! Same with pies, average pie in a shop costs about 80p, (Wholesale you're looking at half of that) sell 'em at £2.50 a pop quids in…..

I will wait to see how Bradford and Hartlepool go on with their schemes, but Bradford despite excellent crowds from season ticket sales could actually finish up in non league next season, bigger crowds don't always guarantee success, look at Luton Town in the Conference who have gates far higher than Latics.

I would love to see crowds double at Latics, but still have reservations on how any advanced revenue would be spent.

But the pay-on-the-dayers will be factored in to any season's budget, so don't provide any such rainy day fund. And this season will have fallen short, since the potd numbers are terribly low; hence, all the more reason to consider other options of making people turn up and part with their cash.

Even if a £100 ST plan fell just short of budget, it would arguable be worthwhile, since it would get people through the gates and hopefully result in a greater number of people coming in the longer term.

Wasn't in disagreement just saying that I din't think the Portsmouth scenario was applicable to us.

It's all well and good trying to get new punters through the gate. The key is getting them to keep coming once the special offers have finished. Unfortunately it's like fiddling while Rome burns until the facilities improve - we need that new stand.

I don't think Simon Corney would be likely to spend all the income without thinking of the rainy day scenario!

Credit to his stewardship that we aren't in hock like other clubs.

I agree, but can you guarantee any future owner would be like him ?

Edited by BP1960

Putting my accountants head on their isn't a cat in hells chance of us breaking even on any season ticket offer we put in place whatsoever because their is not the demand there to make it happen. To breakeven we need more revenue drivers. Oldham Athletic only makes money when their is a home fixture or a lucrative cup game which is less than 30 days a year yet we pay out expenses pretty much all year round. Which ultimately means we need a new stadium with non match day revenue, we will go nowhere if the only way we can make money is every other saturday.

a few people on here have been saying about charging £20+ on the door for games which is, frankly, ridiculous. as was mentioned earlier, when the 50/50 fans wake up and think "hmm should i go watch latics today?" a few things will run through their mind and the main one will be price. i can't go to nearly as many games as i'd like to with being away at Uni but when i am home do i want to spend £24 watching latics when ive just forked out £50 on trains to get home? when i have the money i do but i loath paying that much.

i think the categories for games is stupid as well, what they basically say is "we're playing a :censored: team so we'll charge less" or "we're playing a good team so we'll charge more." fans will come to watch LATICS, not the other team and surely its a much more attractive game if we win? id rather watch us play unbelievable and smash Yeovil 5-0 than watch us get embarrassed by a sheffield united or someone of that mould. sure, playing the sheffields or uddersfield is a bit more glamorous but even those games dont sell out even with extra interest. if the price was a more reasonable £20 it might have been closer. 2 categories; A = £20, B = £17

season tickets, granted i dont know how much they are (terrible fan) but if they're much over £200 thats pretty absurd when you consider the standard of football. the standard of football should dictate the price but to me we've got it the wrong way round. the golden ticket idea seems to have been ok but i think we under charged it. £20 for 5 games is still a bargin and i doubt many who paid £15 would have been put off by an extra fiver or even a tenner, which would effectively mean you're going to 5 games at a fiver each (bargin!)

i think the categories for games is stupid as well, what they basically say is "we're playing a :censored: team so we'll charge less" or "we're playing a good team so we'll charge more." fans will come to watch LATICS, not the other team and surely its a much more attractive game if we win? id rather watch us play unbelievable and smash Yeovil 5-0 than watch us get embarrassed by a sheffield united or someone of that mould. sure, playing the sheffields or uddersfield is a bit more glamorous but even those games dont sell out even with extra interest. if the price was a more reasonable £20 it might have been closer. 2 categories; A = £20, B = £17

So why did we easily sell out over 6000 tickets to go to Anfield a game which we were pretty much guaranteed to lose which cost between £20 and £25? we won't get that on saturday against Yeovil a game which will cost £14.

Secondly the catergorisation is distinguished by how big the away following will be surely if you have 4000 fans from sheffield coming over you need to cash in on them?

Edited by GlossopLatic

So why did we easily sell out over 6000 tickets to go to Anfield a game which we were pretty much guaranteed to lose which cost between £20 and £25? we won't get that on saturday against Yeovil a game which will cost £14.

Secondly the catergorisation is distinguished by how big the away following will be surely if you have 4000 fans from sheffield coming over you need to cash in on them?

because we were going to watch oldham at anfield, one of the best grounds in the country and not a 3 sided shed thats falling down

secondly, we should cash in on the away fans when they come but why should we punish home fans by over pricing the product?