Deane Smalley

On loan I think.

Fairly sure he was getting game time for Oxford too.

I can't remember which side he was playing for but there was a Football League Show where he put in two telling crosses both of which created goals.

Matching his "assists" record at Latics.

On loan I think.

Fairly sure he was getting game time for Oxford too.

I can't remember which side he was playing for but there was a Football League Show where he put in two telling crosses both of which created goals.

Matching his "assists" record at Latics.

I work with an Oxford fan, he was all gloating when they signed him, I warned him he generally can't be arsed and thus bobbins.

He slowly changed his mind, saying he's awful, one of the worst players he's seen in an Oxford shirt, and glad they've loaned him out!

I wikipedia'd him the other day, according to his page he made over a hundred appearances for us!? :shock:

An incredible amount of appearances considering he made literally no impact at all.

I think that's a measure of the potential he has. Fast, strong, decent in the air, good on the ball but very inconsistent and often very little effort or commitment. I think every manager that came in could see he had the ability and physicality to be a great player at this level but couldn't get it out of him, a waste.

I woudlnt say he was strong, but good pace and ability in the air. it was his lack of footballing ability that cost him and he wasnt "nasty" enough. h

There was a couple of games against northampton and stockpot where he looked really good and i thought hed cracked it but he didnt continue that good form

I woudlnt say he was strong, but good pace and ability in the air. it was his lack of footballing ability that cost him and he wasnt "nasty" enough. h

There was a couple of games against northampton and stockpot where he looked really good and i thought hed cracked it but he didnt continue that good form

Smalley's best game was against Everton; he was so good the he forced Moyes to take off future England international Leighton Baines. The Smalley of that day could have played in the Prem.

Smalley's best game was against Everton; he was so good the he forced Moyes to take off future England international Leighton Baines. The Smalley of that day could have played in the Prem.

Do you know what, I reckon he was that good apart from the fact he really couldn't be arsed. If he would have attacked defenders he would have been a nightmare but he could not be arsed and thats what frustrated me about him. Lazy but talented!!! Didn't want it ENOUGH!!!

See also Lewis Alessandra. From hat-trick hero to 3 goals in 37 games for Morecambe.

I was thinking about him reading about Smalley - what was the game where he dumped a big CB on his arse? Yet was then largely figured as a soft-arse. If it's not in the hard wiring there's only so much you can do about it I guess

That was Yeovil at BP, when Lee Hughes went off onjured very early on, and LEwis came on to replace him.

It was a Smalley / Lewis Alice strike partnership for the rest of the game and they were excellent.

The CB he dumped on his back was Skiverton IIRC?

Always rated Lewis. A real talent IMO but its nothing if you dont apply that talent properly.

I think he's been used out wide for Morecombe like he was for us earlyvlast season, so it might go as far as to explain the low goals total?

That was Yeovil at BP, when Lee Hughes went off onjured very early on, and LEwis came on to replace him.

It was a Smalley / Lewis Alice strike partnership for the rest of the game and they were excellent.

The CB he dumped on his back was Skiverton IIRC?

Always rated Lewis. A real talent IMO but its nothing if you dont apply that talent properly.

I think he's been used out wide for Morecombe like he was for us earlyvlast season, so it might go as far as to explain the low goals total?

The one time I can remember them playing up front together was a Tuesday night game at home to Carlisle where we won 2-0. Is that what you're thinking of? Some of their link up play was superb that night.

The one time I can remember them playing up front together was a Tuesday night game at home to Carlisle where we won 2-0. Is that what you're thinking of? Some of their link up play was superb that night.

ah, could be? I thought Lewis coming on & dumping a big-ass CB was Yeovil, and I could've sworn it was the same game as he came on to replace Hughes. Maybe I'm merging 2 games together here, I tend to do that sometimes!!

Point still stands though. Lewis had "it", he might still have "it"........'it' just hasn't been used properly.

Point still stands though. Lewis had "it", he might still have "it"........'it' just hasn't been used properly.

I still think we looked a better outfit, under Dickov, with Alessandra on the left and Jones on the right.

Neither of them the exciting players Marsh-Brown, Taylor, Morais etc can be. But just a little more solid in midfield. With the full backs doing a lot more overlapping.

I was never sure anout Smalley's footballing brain. But Alessandra? What he did off the ball (both as a striker and a wide player) created the space for others so many times.

ah, could be? I thought Lewis coming on & dumping a big-ass CB was Yeovil, and I could've sworn it was the same game as he came on to replace Hughes. Maybe I'm merging 2 games together here, I tend to do that sometimes!!

Agreed, always a fan of Alesandra. One of few players we've had recently who I actually feel truly understands the game.