Big day tomorrow for Latics Scholars - Pro day

I believe that tomorrow is the day when the second year scholars are either offered a pro-contract or told they are going to be released.

Tony Philiskirk has done a fine job again bringing on a group schoolboys, learning them the ropes and watching them change along the way.

I've watched 95% of their games these last two years and I have enjoyed every minute of it.

Kyle Riley, Ryan Burns, Glen Belezika, Sam Fitzgerald, Danny Bell, Dale Connor, Alex Parkes and Jack Laird whatever the future holds, Thank you and good luck.

I believe that tomorrow is the day when the second year scholars are either offered a pro-contract or told they are going to be released.

Tony Philiskirk has done a fine job again bringing on a group schoolboys, learning them the ropes and watching them change along the way.

I've watched 95% of their games these last two years and I have enjoyed every minute of it.

Kyle Riley, Ryan Burns, Glen Belezika, Sam Fitzgerald, Danny Bell, Dale Connor, Alex Parkes and Jack Laird whatever the future holds, Thank you and good luck.

Those are the ones that I reckon will get a deal. Maybe Kyle too

Edited by oafcprozac

Which ones do you think will be taken on Gary? Seems, only from people's judgements on here, that Riley, Belezika and Burns are the most highly rated. Riley is quite amusing on twitter but I'm not sure that's going to help or hinder his cause...

Ryan Burns has changed from a winger to central midfield this season and struggled early on but has looked good and solid since christmas.

Kyle Riley had a injury that really hampered development after the youth cup game at Norwich in December. Has really struggled to make any impact after coming back.

Glen Belezika very raw and nervous on the ball. Makes lots of mistakes but last few games since he returned from lengthly layoff has looked a lot better.

Danny Bell dont know if injured but not seen him around for a few weeks.

Jack Laird diminutive forward with a very short temper. Not as bad a Andrew Crompton last season though. Excellent striker of a dead ball. Thought he would kick on after he bacame a dad in December but just hasnt happened for him.

Sam Fitzgerald solid midfielder who does his job quietly.

Dale Connor looked good last season but injuries and lack of reserve games this time have hampered. Some excellent keepers behind him.

Alex Parkes appeared to put a lot of weight on closed season but a lot of that had turned to muscle. Guess that happens with kids. A lot of the time had two mens work to do havng to cover for Glen and he struggled until Glen was injured. For that period he was outstanding at the back. Composed on the ball and distributed well. Again not Glen is back looks nervous.

A brief look at the 8 scholars. I think we gave 5 pro's last season. This year Ryan Burns and Alex Parkes would be my bet.

Judging by Twitter it's been a bit of a cull. Sounds like Belezika was offered a deal, and maybe one other. Parkes and Riley are definitely on their way. Hopefully all of those on their way can get themselves fixed up soon enough. Good luck to them all.

I'm hearing the same, only Belezika got a deal. In my opinion he has been given a deal due to his size - having seen him a few times this season he looks like a poor man’s M'Voto. He is not the best on the ball and switches off at key moments. I hope I'm proved wrong.

I feel sorry for Burns and Parkes they both looked promising and poor Danny Bell has never been injured before this season and has hardly kicked a ball this one.

I'm hearing the same, only Belezika got a deal. In my opinion he has been given a deal due to his size - having seen him a few times this season he looks like a poor man’s M'Voto. He is not the best on the ball and switches off at key moments. I hope I'm proved wrong.

I feel sorry for Burns and Parkes they both looked promising and poor Danny Bell has never been injured before this season and has hardly kicked a ball this one.

It's ridiculous that Burns and Parkes haven't been offered deals.

Is it? Philliskirk's previously been fairly good with the decisions - none of our recent youngsters have yet come back to haunt the league. Burns is the only one that I thought might have been a bit unlucky.

I agree about Phillis but didn't we let Will Buckley go a few years back? There will always be those you decide against who make it elsewhere, of course.

To be fair TP works with them day in day out. They might not have the attitude or physique to make it when money is tight they will only give deals with those players they can work with as none of them are the finished article.

If Belezika has got the frame and raw talent maybe they see more to work with in him.

Watched Belezika recently and been impressed with his performances. Fact we already got three centre backs means he has got quite a bit of work to do.

I agree about Phillis but didn't we let Will Buckley go a few years back? There will always be those you decide against who make it elsewhere, of course.

Just watching Barnsley v West Ham and I suppose, to a lesser extent, you could add Kallum Higginbotham too. Both picked up by Keith Hill.

Is it really though?

Neither has broken through this year - and we've had massive issues in both the positions they play in. PD & GT; with advice from TP no doubt have looked to play other players out of position or have dipped into the loan market...the 2 of them have only recently made the bench; neither of them getting on. By that; is it really that surprising; and such an outrage that they appear to not have been offered deals????

I believe Glen B has been out injured for the same period where Parkes has overlooked at CB, if he's the 'chosen one' then TP, PD and the others must rate him higher than others. They see them all every day; have trained them for 2 years + and will know a heck of a lot more about them than fans who merely watch them from time to time.

I trust their judgement.

The club, with TP as the constant throughout, have made very few mistakes in the transition from youth to pro contracts down the years, i see no reasons here for that to have changed; reduced budget or not.

All that said, good luck to those not retained - hope they're successful in their next career choices.

Tarky, Winchester and Mellor have all been involved this season, with mixed success. It shows that the kids do have a chance, but if the current crop aren't rated at the same level as the above then what's the point? Hopefully they get a chance somewhere else and good luck to them if they prove Latics wrong.

Pretty much what LL said.

Of course we've made mistakes and a couple perhaps have slipped through the net. You could name dozens more we haven't heard of since they left though.

If they were good enough I'm confident they'd have been offered deals. They're on peanuts initially anyway.