• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's fairly clear that he is.

There just isn't much demand for :censored: football clubs in :censored: towns where what fanbase there once was has desserted and (many of) what fans are left can't be arsed renewing their season ticket.

Christ, Stockport got a crowd of 4,000 the other day against Lincoln with no cheap tickets on sale. We moan about our poor fortune and our :censored: owners, players and managers, but a football club 20 miles away has had an infinitely worse time than Latics fans have had to deal with in recent years and yet they still turn out in numbers week in week out.

Say what you like about ground, owners, players and managers being :censored:. Many of our so called fans are infinitely :censored:ter at the moment.

Rant over.

I do agree with this, there is a lot of excuses banded around on here saying things like "oh the supporters would come back if there was a better product on the pitch" but at the end of the day there are plenty of teams in the country serving up much :censored:ter offerings which are still pulling in much bigger crowds.

It worries me that people say if we get relegated it is going to be the death of the club. Why? Is big old Oldham too big for League 2? Didnt seem to do Blackpool any harm, or Swansea, or Cardiff, the list goes on!

I wish more of our fans would have a more positive attitude. Something along the lines of ":censored: the pinch me seasons thats ancient history. OK we are :censored: at the moment but :censored: it I will get down to BP and show my support for the team rather than moaning about how bad everything is." Maybe if a few more people could do that we could have a bigger crowds, better atmosphere and a bigger budget which could help us get out of this division.

I hear what you are saying but ultimately the product on the pitch is still the most important factor why the fans are deserting the club.

But there are other aspects that can be addressed that will start to improve the attendances:

It has been posted elsewhere - what seems to be dieing is the heart of the club - sure the performances out on the park are dire and they are being served up in a decrepit three sided stadium - but what we need to rediscover is the sense of a real club that is part of the town.

I've said it before but a social club (as Clayton Arms) would at least be a start - somewhere for fans to arrive early and enjoy the occasion - the day is not always all about the game.

Furthermore if the social club had facilities for games/competitions for the under 16 crowd then that would build on the season ticket initiative.

An earlier post suggested a 'Legends' initiative - something else that would only reinforce the feeling that the club has a heart and a tradition worth supporting.

Yes it requires investment and that is proving difficult to secure - but surely it is something to strive for.

However it is ultimately the success on the pitch that will allow these other initiatives to gain support and momentum. What an opportunity missed with the JPT - the feelgood factor that would have brought should not be underestimated.

I do agree with this, there is a lot of excuses banded around on here saying things like "oh the supporters would come back if there was a better product on the pitch" but at the end of the day there are plenty of teams in the country serving up much :censored:ter offerings which are still pulling in much bigger crowds.

It worries me that people say if we get relegated it is going to be the death of the club. Why? Is big old Oldham too big for League 2? Didnt seem to do Blackpool any harm, or Swansea, or Cardiff, the list goes on!

I wish more of our fans would have a more positive attitude. Something along the lines of ":censored: the pinch me seasons thats ancient history. OK we are :censored: at the moment but :censored: it I will get down to BP and show my support for the team rather than moaning about how bad everything is." Maybe if a few more people could do that we could have a bigger crowds, better atmosphere and a bigger budget which could help us get out of this division.

The problem is they had a core of fans who stuck with them, ours seem to be deserting in droves. Its either the manager, the crap ground, rubbish atmosphere, of lack of compensation for golden ticket people just seem to find it easy to walk away. im naffed off with the 2nd half of the season but ill berenwing my ticket when i can. There is just so much negativity around the club (and town) that we seem to be dieing a long protracted death

Edited by bluehobbit

if dickov was to go who do you think will do a better job. i dont think he's done a bad job considering the budget and injuries we got. OK i admit we are struggling in the league but we had 2 good cup runs which is something we havent had for a while.

its the question everyone will ask and we will probably end up with a no name.

Dickov has used his contacts well to bring in decent player either on load or long term, we need to get the balence right tho and that isnt easy with 0 budget. i think the Penny appointment has thought everyone a vaulable lesson we area struggling at the moment no question, but what if things went worse???

Let hope PD can turn this around starting tomorrow - i really do belive he is doing the best for the club he comes across well when interviewd.

if possible lets have some stability if we are only midtable next season lets except that and see if we can use it as springboard to better things

Edited by bluehobbit

If handled properly it could be a springboard, new teams, new grounds and a bit of sucess near the top, then promotion. Could spur the team on to bigger and better things. Though, those three clubs are one club towns, we of course are a three club town.

If handled properly it could be a springboard, new teams, new grounds and a bit of sucess near the top, then promotion. Could spur the team on to bigger and better things. Though, those three clubs are one club towns, we of course are a three club town.

I thought the same when we got relegated from what is now the championship,face it we'd struggle in league 2

Not a chance, we'll simply do what we did in '94 & '97 - namely downsize, get rid of the better players, blood yet more kids and cut our cloth accordingly. Relegation would kill the club completely. Then all it would need is crowds to drop further, Corney to walk (although him and his chums relinquishing control could give the club a chance of moving forward, I see Corney as the problem and not the solution) and we could be the next Luton, Wrexham or Stockport. It's not that far away. Tomorrow's game is huge but I expect Dickov to park the bus and go for the point we need. Survival is the name of the game both on and off the field and it will never get any better unless someone is willing to throw a :censored: load of money at it. Sadly, it can get a helluva lot worse…..

Harsh, but that is the reality of the club's existence….

Edited by oafcprozac

I think it's fairly clear that he is.

There just isn't much demand for :censored: football clubs in :censored: towns where what fanbase there once was has desserted and (many of) what fans are left can't be arsed renewing their season ticket.

Christ, Stockport got a crowd of 4,000 the other day against Lincoln with no cheap tickets on sale. We moan about our poor fortune and our :censored: owners, players and managers, but a football club 20 miles away has had an infinitely worse time than Latics fans have had to deal with in recent years and yet they still turn out in numbers week in week out.

Say what you like about ground, owners, players and managers being :censored:. Many of our so called fans are infinitely :censored:ter at the moment.

Rant over.

Could it be that when the reality of non-existence really strikes, our fans will come out?

The troubles Stockport have been through have been well documented. It's become a bit of a drama, and people like a drama!

Latics, on the other hand, have just become a bit dull. There's never really much of a story attached to them - just mid-table ordinariness. There was a bit of a story attached to us going to Liverpool and 6,000 turn out. A win-or-go-down game against Carlisle on the last day of the season and I reckon a good 6-7k would turn out.

I'd rather not find out, but if we started to drop down the leagues and the pleas came that the club will go bust unless people turn out "TOMORROW!!" I reckon the gates would go up, temporarily.

If Stockport are still in lower mid-table of the Conference in a few years time, I'd be surprised if they were still getting 4,000....

Dickov needs our support - He's worked well with the youngsters and has few options with the limited resources available. As for Corney, we should thank our lucky stars for his ongoing support and commitment. I am hopeful that we will avoid relegation, but if the worst comes to the worst, we should develop the youngsters and build foir the future. Above all, we should stick with the Club through thick and thin.