• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While not enjoying the current run did anybody really expect us to do Charlton at BP and nip over the hills to pick up a dramatic win at Wednesday?

Big game next week. Let's not overreact this evening.

I think the ' golden ticket ' run of games hurt us far more.......in more ways than one.

Just need to get a few more experienced players in. Sacking Dickov won't improve anything. Players are letting us down.

i disagree.

this is what's so strange about all this to me - to a man the players seem to be giving 100%.

they're not being drilled properly, if at all.

Where does the Oldham Athletic manager merry go round stop then?

Don't get me wrong, can fully understand the frustration, especially considering there is a good chance the team will do worse than Penney did in 2009/2010 if the team finishes on less than 52 points.

But how long do you give the next guy, or the guy after that? Or the guy after that? On what will probably be a descending budget each time?

i'm not saying where this has come from for obvious reasons, but....

the players have no respect for Taggart but seem to have a lot for "The Gaffer" but he needs help on the coaching side (whether this means more/new coaches or he's no good at it I'm not sure)

certain players have no confidence in our forwards and are reluctant to give the ball to them! they themselves don't see where the next goal is coming from.

we have some players who, surprisingly, really do give a :censored: & are passionate and I think with a bit of restructuring of the staff (and avoiding relegation) the future could be bright.

Where does the Oldham Athletic manager merry go round stop then?

Don't get me wrong, can fully understand the frustration, especially considering there is a good chance the team will do worse than Penney did in 2009/2010 if the team finishes on less than 52 points.

But how long do you give the next guy, or the guy after that? Or the guy after that? On what will probably be a descending budget each time?

i don't think the majority of fans or Corney have got the appetite for getting rid. and rightly so.

i even think in the (now) unlikely event we go down he'll keep his job.

however, whereas a month or two back he would have had another full season to go at he'll surely need to be firmly in the top half come Christmas to keep his job now.

if I were Corney i'd be telling him he's got til the end of October to show us something.

It has been terrible for months now. Absolutely dreadful. Even the last two games against the top 2 in the League was toss. Both of them were there for the taking and looked poor and we couldn't take advantage.

Like I said when I had my rant at PD at Brentford, if it was a one off or a rarity that we were so bad then I could accept it, but it's been constantly :censored:e.

My away record this season has been 10 losses from 10 away trips. Scoring only 4 goals, two of which were in the same game and I, for one, am fed up with it and Dickov.

My away record this season has been 10 losses from 10 away trips. Scoring only 4 goals, two of which were in the same game and I, for one, am fed up with it and Dickov.

It's like Bono saying that every time he claps his hands a child dies in Africa.

Stop clapping!

i'm not saying where this has come from for obvious reasons, but....

the players have no respect for Taggart but seem to have a lot for "The Gaffer" but he needs help on the coaching side (whether this means more/new coaches or he's no good at it I'm not sure)

certain players have no confidence in our forwards and are reluctant to give the ball to them! they themselves don't see where the next goal is coming from.

we have some players who, surprisingly, really do give a :censored: & are passionate and I think with a bit of restructuring of the staff (and avoiding relegation) the future could be bright.

If this true then I can see Dickov leaving either by his own wish or the club's, Paul Simpson at Rochdale had a similar situation. The players went to the board and asked them to get rid of the Assistant, they spoke to Simpson who walked. He hasn't hired the guy since though.

It has been terrible for months now. Absolutely dreadful. Even the last two games against the top 2 in the League was toss. Both of them were there for the taking and looked poor and we couldn't take advantage.

Like I said when I had my rant at PD at Brentford, if it was a one off or a rarity that we were so bad then I could accept it, but it's been constantly :censored:e.

What a record - respect that after the first nine you still went to game number ten. :lol:

My away record is 5 games - 1 win, 2 draws, 2 defeats. So we are due a win on Saturday (last away game planned) just to even it up ...

Dickov is trying to get us to play decent football but doesn't have the personnel in key areas.

Diallo is shocking; too slow and was a liability today.

We're weak in midfield and missing Wes. I can't see why we persevere with Adeyemi.

Up front Kuqi plays too deep and were toothless then up front. Bunn couldn't do everything on his own and needs someone alongside him as a front two.

Pruning is needed come the summer and review the backroom team too - what value does Taggart add and what does Butler do?

I think well stay up but next season we need a boost as I seriously think it'll be the last throw of the dice. Crowds will dwindle again anyway but more dross on the pitch then well be playing to sub 2000 crowds and Dickov will move on.

I have seen no evidence of this at all, we play a simple game of hoof it up to the big man and it's crap to watch. Every now and again we get it down and we look good and then we go back to hoofing it again. Also when we do take the lead, we always drop deep and try to defend rather than pushing on for a second.

I have seen no evidence of this at all, we play a simple game of hoof it up to the big man and it's crap to watch. Every now and again we get it down and we look good and then we go back to hoofing it again. Also when we do take the lead, we always drop deep and try to defend rather than pushing on for a second.

We only try and play nice football when Furman drops deep to pick the ball up from the defenders. M'changama did it a bit, but not as much as Furman. But when no one does it, we just hoof it upfront.

I just wanted progress this season. A better fist at the league; and a real mentality of going for it in all the cup competitions; especially the JPT. To that end, it's been pretty much the season I expected - though I hoped a 'better fist' in the league would mean 10th to 14th; not 18th and in the throes of relegation admittedly!

I think where the frustration is coming from, mine is firmly in with this, is that we haven't progressed on the pitch; even though we're told we've a higher standard of player at the club than last season; and certainly than under Dangerous Dave.

For me, my confusion and puzzlement is that the tactics and organisation of the side seems to have gone backwards; not forwards. I've posted on this before.

Basically, For what, 3 bordering on 4 months at the start of last season; the football was great - short quick passing game; with a high press; high tempo attitude and a real nasty side as & when needed too. We scored some cracking goals and really took the fight to the opposition both home & away. Since then, well - it's gone backwards and is now; quite frankly feckin' crap; devoid of creativity, organisation and ideas. It's :censored:; let's not beat about the bush with it.

I don't understand why this has happened. I just don't.

There is (allegedly) a higher calibre of player here this season than last - yet the football isn't as good. The higher standard of players seem to have less idea of what they should be doing than the lot last season. There is only so much that you place at the feet of the players; individual mistakes you to a degree can't account for - but the mistakes recently aren't merely individual errors - they appear to be players who just don't know what they are supposed to be doing, who to mark, how to mark and where to be positionally. And, as for our attacking mistakes; all our players seems devoid of ideas of what to do; where they should run, how to pass it & where to and what set plays to use or what route to go…..

It's all pretty damming stuff really towards to the coaching team & manager. When you throw in favouritism of selection; of persiverence of players playing game after game no matter how :censored:e they been; it's starts to snowball.

I'm worried we're close to another managerial departure. I don't want that; but I'm worried it's around the corner. The natives are restless; there are more & more threads on here questioning PD and his position.

I think, regardless of what may happen in the last 4 games he should be given until Christmas 2012 - but if at that stage; the same mistakes in recruitment, selection, tactics, organisation and the like are still in evidence - then I think we'd be better to sever ties and look for another manager. I like Paul Dickov and I hope he starts to learn, to progress himself and the team as a result. I'm just worried that can't & won't. The start of last season just might have been a complete fluke; a purple patch as a result of PD being the exact opposite of Dave Penney; rather than a marker of standard bearer of what was to follow.

I just wanted progress this season. A better fist at the league; and a real mentality of going for it in all the cup competitions; especially the JPT. To that end, it's been pretty much the season I expected - though I hoped a 'better fist' in the league would mean 10th to 14th; not 18th and in the throes of relegation admittedly!

I think where the frustration is coming from, mine is firmly in with this, is that we haven't progressed on the pitch; even though we're told we've a higher standard of player at the club than last season; and certainly than under Dangerous Dave.

And yet there is a very real possibility that this team could end up doing worse than the 16th position finish of 52 points and -18 goal difference that was achieved by the squad assembled by Dangerous dave in a Leauge 1 which contained far more quality teams than this years table does (as in Norwich, Leeds, Saints, Millwall, Charlton)

:unsure:

Edited by Lookers_Carl

And yet there is a very real possibility that this team could end up doing worse than the 16th position finish of 52 points and -18 goal difference that was achieved by the squad assembled by Dangerous dave in a Leauge 1 which contained far more quality teams than this years table does (as in Norwich, Leeds, Saints, Millwall, Charlton)

:unsure:

It could, although Dave's team would have finished 17th, had it not been for Hartlepool fielding an ineligible player. And I get tired of hearing how every season we've only stayed up because the league is so much weaker than in previous seasons. The point is to be better and finish higher than at least four other teams; if you do that, you're safe. And where 2009/10 had Norwich, Leeds, Saints, Millwall and Charlton, this season has a far better Charlton, both Sheffield clubs, Huddersfield (with a 35+ goals striker) and MK Dons - I don't see much difference really. At the other end, 2009/10 had a shocking Stockport side, who finished with a -60 goal difference and three other sides who were no better than those that will drop this time.

unsure.gif

You also need to bare in mind that Penney had a much bigger budget to work with, he spent £80k.......... yes £80k on Joe Colbeck alone - I could have paid my fooking mortgage off with that!!!

Agree with SlyStallone post - only thing you do not take into account is the injuries to key individuals - not an excuse but definitely added to the challenge - still does not explan why the team cannot seem to do the basics though :omg:

Edited by TheBigDog

Personally I dont believe any one of us could do a much better job than Dickov has done. My gripe isnt with Dickov (i dont know about his backroom team so i cant really comment), He had 2 choices. spread his budget thinly and get a squad of quantity, which realistically would have meant a squad without Diamond, Mvoto, Kuqi and Weslowski, But with probably 4 extra proffessionals on top of the current numbers. the other alternative is what he did. Personally think it was a risk, but the injuries since January have been ridiculous.

My gripe is with the business side of the club. Quite frankly the budget is dwindling year on year, and the decisions that are being made to attract numbers are laughable. Until the budget increases the club will continue on its downward spiral no matter who is in charge.

I don't buy into this "Corney is the savior of the club and keeps us afloat year on year" He is the captain of a sinking ship and needs to actively offload us sharpish. Is he actively trying to sell the club, and if not why not? One thing is for sure i will not be happy if we go bust and he turns round and says i tried my best.

I think injuries have played a massive part in us being pants for the 2nd half of the season. Loosing your first choice midfield for so long is going to hurt anyone. Throw in Taylor who has been dire for most of the season. The left back slot that has been a problem since Evina left and then injuries to the central defenders and you have gaping holes and real weakness in the side.

I still dont understand why we have resigned Tonks and not given him a proper run on the glimpses ive seen he looks fresh and ready to go lets have him on the pitch!!

What slystalone has said is pretty much bang on what i was thinking at the start of the season, with an upturn in form we could jump a few places in the league it just doesnt seem likely to happen at the moment.

If we stay up leave PD in charge see if he can get us going again next season if at Christmas we are still stuggling at the bottom of the league with athreat of going down maybe its time to part ways, and strangely he would be the 1st manager in a long time i would be sorry to see leave

Is he actively trying to sell the club?

I think it's fairly clear that he is.

There just isn't much demand for :censored: football clubs in :censored: towns where what fanbase there once was has desserted and (many of) what fans are left can't be arsed renewing their season ticket.

Christ, Stockport got a crowd of 4,000 the other day against Lincoln with no cheap tickets on sale. We moan about our poor fortune and our :censored: owners, players and managers, but a football club 20 miles away has had an infinitely worse time than Latics fans have had to deal with in recent years and yet they still turn out in numbers week in week out.

Say what you like about ground, owners, players and managers being :censored:. Many of our so called fans are infinitely :censored:ter at the moment.

Rant over.