Try a little something new?

Right we are all agreed that we are desperate for a little creativity in midfield, aka ritchie wellens. we also know that we cant afford such a luxury.

Personally id like to see kieran lee given a chance in there. we signed him as a midfielder, i think if he is still here pre season he should be given a few games in there. he isnt scared of putting a foot in and is probably the one player capable of playing a decent thru ball.

im sure with our budget its much easier to find a half decent full back than the creative midfielder everyone is so desperate for.

i agree, but i would still be tempted to try him in the middle. he obviously possesses quality, and it sems wasteful to leave him languishing in his current position when he could have greater impact in the middle of the park.

i also seem to remember him saying he would love to play out his career in the middle of the park. this was when he first broke into the team at full back

........but he's a right back????

He is a footballer who has the ability to play in many positions, the most used being right back, but what would the harm be in using our most gifted footballer in central midfield?

Edited by philliggi

He is a footballer who has the ability to play in many positions, the most used being right back, but what would the harm be in using our most gifted footballer in central midfield?

He couldn't do any worse as a striker than the current lot.

It's not that I have a problem with trying Lee in midfield, but I don't agree that there are vast quantities of quality right backs around. When was the last really good right back we had before Lee?

And we certainly don't have anyone ready to step in right now. To make room for Lee to be tried in midfield we'd need to sign a right back to backfill him. And that really isn't where we should be spending our money.

It's not that I have a problem with trying Lee in midfield, but I don't agree that there are vast quantities of quality right backs around. When was the last really good right back we had before Lee?

And we certainly don't have anyone ready to step in right now. To make room for Lee to be tried in midfield we'd need to sign a right back to backfill him. And that really isn't where we should be spending our money.

Best right back we had before him was Neal Eardley him and Lee are the best in that position we've had in that position. You've nailed it with that second paragraph we might get to sign maximum 4 players in the summer and that will be with 3-4 leaving we should only contemplate a rightback if Kieran goes. If he stays and we sign a right back over a striker, winger, centre mid or left back I would be seriously disappointed.

Best right back we had before him was Neal Eardley him and Lee are the best in that position we've had in that position. You've nailed it with that second paragraph we might get to sign maximum 4 players in the summer and that will be with 3-4 leaving we should only contemplate a rightback if Kieran goes. If he stays and we sign a right back over a striker, winger, centre mid or left back I would be seriously disappointed.

thats my point tho. would we need to sign a central midfielder if lee played there? Lee Furman and Wes in a midfield 3 with simpson playing just behind a front 2 is a cracking midfield. it also eliminates the problem of replacing taylor. we have never been gifted with wingers who cross with both quality and quantity,

as for replacing lee at right back, thats what summer is for. if we were talking about left back then i agree that is a problem area and good left backs are hard to find, but right backs? i would say that is probably the easiest position on the pitch to fill.

GK Cisak

RB New signing

CB Diamond

CB Mvoto

LB New signing

CM Furman

CM Weslowski

CM Lee

AM Simpson

ST New signing

ST New signing

Using that as a backbone i reckon you have the basics of a cracking team, IF the new signings are much cop

If things arnt working we could always switch lee out wide, push simpson up and bring morais on to go to a 4-4-2.

Edited by philliggi

You planning narrowing the pitch with that formation because we are narrowing our team no width.

tbh when was the last time you saw latics successfully play with wingers? we are piss poor strength wise in the middle of the park, wingers cant cross, and when they do our strikers cant finish. we are much better playing the ball on the deck with sharp passing going forward and that is a much more balanced team to do it.

tbh when was the last time you saw latics successfully play with wingers? we are piss poor strength wise in the middle of the park, wingers cant cross, and when they do our strikers cant finish. we are much better playing the ball on the deck with sharp passing going forward and that is a much more balanced team to do it.

Eyres on the left wing and a young Taylor on the right, oh how we can dream of something like that again!

GK: Cisak

RB: Lee/New Signing

CB: M'Voto

CB: Diamond/new signing

LB: New signing

RM: New Signing/Marsh-Brown

CM: Furman

CM: Wesolowski

LM: Morais

CF: Simpson

ST: New signing

That's in an ideal world really, personally don't think Lee will be here next season as he'll probably find himself in the championship with Taylor... Simpson will hopefully re-sign so a LB, RB, RM and ST would be required... with the state of football at the moment, there may be some good players out if contract in summer who, fingers crossed we'll be able to snap up.

To add to new signings a few young players may also be brought through more next season - mainly Mellor and Tarkowski - failing us signing two full backs Mellor could fill the void. Connor Hughes is also another young kad that i would like to see more of, hopefully he can get a good pre-season under his belt and beef up abit over summer as he seems quite light-weight at the moment.

Anyhow, next season is probably going to be one if the hardest we've experienced with PD trying to find the right mix of Youngsters and Experience and if he gets it right, i think we may push for a mid-table, possibly play-off finish!

OWTB!

its so bloody predictable tho. if we did go with that, whats to say it wouldnt just be a carbon copy of this season? wheres the creativity in that side?

we are desperate for a playmaker in the middle of the park, and without one the same threads will be appearing on here in 12 months time. we aint made of money and as such any new signings are just going to be freebies as we see every year that do the rounds around these parts. it hasnt worked this season so why should it next? i would rather have lee in the middle and a bog standard right back, than our most gifted player at right back where he cant have a huge impact on the game.

All im looking for is something different. something to lift the doom around here. if it doesnt work pre season, fine, drop it, it was worth a shot. I still believe my team would be more entertaining, and provide more clear cut chances over any given 90 minutes. The team this season has been plain boring!

i think if we could keep furman, wes and m'changama with mellor and winchester as backup, the center of midfield isn't too bad....we've desperatly missed wes who both breaks up play and gambles on getting into the box - i think m'changama could really learn from him if they're both here next year.

I'm more concernced about full backs, wingers (exception:morais) and strikers to be honest. certainly wouldn't be moving one of the leagues best full backs into midfield (even though if he was originally a midfielder!) We just can't afford to lose another full back.

This /\

Furman is here next season. Hopefully Wes will re-sign. Hopefully we offer a deal to M'Changama as he looks a decent little player. Mellor and Winchester also. That's pretty much it for CM. We needed Adeyemi to play so many games this season due to injuries. Hopefully it's not as bad next season and M'Changama can be the 'next in line' to come in should Wes or Dean be injured.

It's at CB, and up front we need to focus.

I'm in the minority but I think LB is fine if Black re-signs.

I'd be happy with Nathan Clarke, but as there are going to be over 1200 players out of contract, there just might be scope for the odd surprise free signing at the back & up front.

Here's hoping

thats my point tho. would we need to sign a central midfielder if lee played there? Lee Furman and Wes in a midfield 3 with simpson playing just behind a front 2 is a cracking midfield. it also eliminates the problem of replacing taylor. we have never been gifted with wingers who cross with both quality and quantity,

as for replacing lee at right back, thats what summer is for. if we were talking about left back then i agree that is a problem area and good left backs are hard to find, but right backs? i would say that is probably the easiest position on the pitch to fill.

GK Cisak

RB New signing

CB Diamond

CB Mvoto

LB New signing

CM Furman

CM Weslowski

CM Lee

AM Simpson

ST New signing

ST New signing

Using that as a backbone i reckon you have the basics of a cracking team, IF the new signings are much cop

If things arnt working we could always switch lee out wide, push simpson up and bring morais on to go to a 4-4-2.

GK Cisak

CB Tarky/ a.n.other

CB Diamond

CB Mvoto

LM Morais

CM Furman

CM Weslowski

CM Lee

RM KMB Taylor

AM Simpson

ST A fit Reid

GK Cisak

CB Tarky/ a.n.other

CB Diamond

CB Mvoto

LM Morais

CM Furman

CM Weslowski

CM Lee

RM KMB Taylor

AM Simpson

ST A fit Reid

I worry that something like that would see us getting humped by any team with any width. Morais and Marsh-Brown can't defend.