How does Dickov take us forward?

So 18 players out of contract, at 4.45pm next Saturday Paul Dickov starts his third pre-season as manager of Oldham Athletic. What will he do to ensure he can begin to deliver signs of improvement next season?

Can he deliver more than one way of playing?

Can he deliver tempo?

Can he deliver goals in the box?

Can he deliver creativity in both midfield and out wide?

Can he deliver a defence that doesn't make the same mistakes on the back post every week?

Can he deliver a team that is at it from the off and from the moment the second half begins?

Will he deliver a dour second half to a season for the third successive year?

Will he learn from his mistakes?

The ship was steadied in the first half of 2010-11, but we have stagnated since Christmas and have begin to move backwards. I expected relegation last August so to a degree the fact we have survived is a modicum of success, but long winless runs builds a losing momentum. He's a hell of a job on his hands this summer as it will be all change again, is he up to the job? I'm sorry to say I don't think he is.

Edited by oafcprozac

What can he realistically do differently next season?

1. Try to sign players that fit in with his style. We've seen some of that, we need more.

2. Keep trying out triallists. Kelly didn't work, Diallo's looking unlikely, Mchangama's looking promising. It's a cheap option to find talent.

3. Change formation during matches. Most of his subs seem predictable — like for like or an extra striker. He could try changing the shape in games.

4. Along with that, try out different formations in pre-season. If 4-4-1-1 isn't delivering goals, try something else when points aren't at stake.

5. Rest or drop non-performing players sooner. Loyalty is admirable and players need runs to establish themselves. But those runs could be shorter.

6. Try the youth players first, then loans. Absolutely no reason this will guarantee improvements, but it may help keep fans on side longer.

Edited by Crusoe

The first thing he needs to do is have a good look round the dressing room and see which players are just happy to accpet medicority and get rid and which ones are pushing to better themselves and build the team around them.

The problem with constantly sacking managers is that you don't build anything long term you just go round and round in circles which is what we have done for years, it also means giving a manager time and putting up with a certain level of crap in that time before he builds a team the way he wants too. However I think next season we need to see some progress and we need to see an end to this year on year scenario of the players accumulating just about enough points to stay up by Febuary and then giving up and going on holiday. It doesn't have to be genuine assault on promotion aslong as we are playing in a 3 sided dump infront of dwindling crowds and no sugar daddy we are going to struggle even at this level. The squad we have was good enough if the players put their minds to it to be in the top ten this season too many points have been thrown away. So while I don't think we should entertain the idea of sacking Paul Dickov we are at a stage in his tenure as manager where we will want to see somekind of progress next year. If we put an end to the febuary fall out that will be enough to extend his tenure beyond that,

Latics have a decent base for producing a good side.

IF we could keep Lee , Taylor , Weso and maybe Simpson , along with others like Cisak , M'Voto , Diamond , Furman ,Morais ,

Charabang etc we just need some firepower up front .

I would like to see next season a team of -

Cisak

Lee , M'Voto , Diamond , LB (Taylor from Sheff U would be good)

Furman , Weso , Charabang

Taylor/or Morais ?????? ?????

Problem is the ?????? bit .

They could turn a very average season into a play off potential one.

It's upto PD to find the right players for it.

I know every team in the league is looking for the same but that's what differentiates good managers from average ones.

With back up players like Tarkowski , Winchester and maybe a few others thats a squad that wouldn't break the budget.

To have any chance of a decent season we have to go for quality rather than quantity and prey that the squad can keep away from injuries and suspensions.

I remember a few years ago in an interview with Colchester's manager after their promotion, "We have been lucky in that 9 of my players have played in over 40 games each.

That's the only way a small club like this can do well"

We have filled our squad this season with mediocre players taking us nowhere and we have to gamble a little if we wont success.

The first thing he needs to do is have a good look round the dressing room and see which players are just happy to accpet medicority and get rid and which ones are pushing to better themselves and build the team around them.

This is the very point I have been trying to make for months. Can't agree with this more.

This rubbish about us not having the money or the players to compete in a division with five or six budgets with the rest of mediocrity is a tired excuse. The myth being pushed that we have one of the lowest budgets is blinding some fans. The simple facts are that we have a manager who seems content with blocking all criticism of his players with some strange excuses and players with shocking attitudes, little character and yet some ability, certainly enough to match the sides on the fringes of the top-six.

A depleted squad has definitely hindered us, but has it caused that much chaos that we lose to Rochdale, Yeovil, Scunthorpe and Leyton Orient? Not for me it hasn't. We've shown no fight or spirit since January, and even before then we surrendered some matches. We have a manager who has failed to inspire or motivate, or even show any talent in the tactical side of management, and we have players who won't push themselves.

What does Dickov do? Well, he's finally admitted his faults. He admits he need to improve, so that's certainly a little forward movement. as Glossip says a clear-out is warranted. If Kuqi wants to drag his contract renewal out then get rid. Free some space and bring in at least two experienced players, particularly in the spine of the side. If Dickov can work some magic and get Lee, Wesolowski and Simpson to sign, then excellent, but he then needs to add some depth.

The sad thing is that we have to start from scratch every single season. There appears to be so little longevity in the club's planning or any foresight, but there again Lee and Furman were useless under Penney so I sympathise with the Lee situation.

At times the squad has a decent skeleton, but it's fragile and with no substance to it. Quality goes out and an inexperienced kid replaces him. All I'd say is if he isn't one of the best players we have, don't hand the power of play, so to speak, to that player or agent and let them dictate the terms. If he doesn't sign before a certain date move on. Rushing and throwing together a squad will only replicate the current season.

A bit harsh on Lee saying he was useless under Penney.

He was being played in an unfamiliar position and effectively learning to be a footballer over again.

Furman sat deep because he was told to. I actually think he's a better player pushing forwards.

That's not to say you don't make some valid points.

Edited by opinions4u

A bit harsh on Lee saying he was useless under Penney.

He was being played in an unfamiliar position and effectively learning to be a footballer over again.

Furman sat deep because he was told to. I actually think he's a better player pushing forwards.

That's not to say you don't make some valid points.

No, I agree totally. What I'm saying is that under Penney those two were made awful by an awful manager. Dickov corrected that and now they're indispensable. I perhaps should have said that in those words. I wasn't criticising Lee as such, but the era in which he played.

PD must ditch the cautious 2 holding midfielders at home, one is suffice with the other being someone who can carry the ball forward, supply the goal poacher (assuming he will sign one) and is capable of having a dip himself from just outside the penalty area.

If he carries on with the same system at home as this season nothing will change I'm afraid.

Lets ditch the idea of inssiting we operate with attacking fullbacks, great for the premiership and europe but this is league 1.

We have been poor at the back, let in numerous balls at the far post. Let's get two solid defensive fullbacks to shore up the back and ease Lee back into midfield with Furman Wes and ANO. Might not be that pretty (has it been this year?) but would give us a strong defensive base and an experienced midfield. Would also be easier to source such fullbacks than the elusive Ashley Cole type at left back.

Bit old school I know but what do you think ~ do we really want one of our calmest players on the ball playing at full back?

Lets ditch the idea of inssiting we operate with attacking fullbacks, great for the premiership and europe but this is league 1.

We have been poor at the back, let in numerous balls at the far post. Let's get two solid defensive fullbacks to shore up the back and ease Lee back into midfield with Furman Wes and ANO. Might not be that pretty (has it been this year?) but would give us a strong defensive base and an experienced midfield. Would also be easier to source such fullbacks than the elusive Ashley Cole type at left back.

Bit old school I know but what do you think ~ do we really want one of our calmest players on the ball playing at full back?

2 Problems with this

1 Kieran Lee getting forward is one of our best outlets we will lose that if he goes into midfield.

2 If full backs are just full backs then the danger is we start to play in straight lines and become too rigid and too easy to play against as you become a 4-4-2 where players just stay in their positions. Nice and easy to setup against as you just play 2 banks of 4 and it becomes very comfortable. Lee breaking forward from the back breaks the lines. If your an opposition coach and you have a flair player on your left wing say someone like Marsh-Brown how comfortable will someone like that be chasing back against a marauding full back like Kieran Lee.? If they don't then we have a full back and a winger going 2 on 1 against the left back.

When you have a player breaking forward like that you do need a defensive midfielder who will not get beyond the ball this is where we've missed wesolowski who can come across and cover when Lee breaks forwards We've played our best football this season when Wes and Furman have been in the centre of the park as it gives us a solid defensive base and allows the full backs to break forward overlap and break the lines..

While we don't always like Dickov's post match interviews Steve Kean has just said " I think as far as effort it was poor but not in terms of work ethic ".

Really.

If i was a blackburn fan tonight i'd be devastated with that pitiful showing earlier.

I accept that Glossop but even my primarily defensive fullbacks will inevitably be drawn into attacking positions and I would expect them to be able to contribute. I suppose what I am saying is that I think we need players who are better defenders than they are going forward and not the other way round (Lee I think is just that and he does get found out being 'relatively' new to the defensive aspects of the position).

At league 1 level I think it needs to be defensive ability first (solid, dependable, 'always been a fullback' types) and then coach the attacking aspects. I still see Lee as a calm, controlling midfielder potentially (Scholes/Sheridan), able to play the 'clever ball' that is missing at the moment ~ not a player who has been 'shoved' into the full back position in times of need and, as he's done a good job, is stuck with it.