New Simon Corney Interview on LP

Simon Corney’s latest LP Interview

Paul Black – Difficult as he is one of SC’s favourite players, not a financial decision, purely manager’s decision. Looked at one or two options for LB next season but can definitely say that Ben Parker won’t be coming next season, he was the one where we had agreed with Leeds, Warnock had sanctioned his wages to be paid in full and gave the lad an opportunity to play football instead he declined and decided to do nothing. Thought it disgraceful. Interesting to see where he ends up.

The kids released – Down to the manager and the staff, not purely TP. Have to stick by PD’s decisions.

Final League Table Position – Was hopeful for a top half finish, hopeful of a Play Off place at one stage. Disappointed, but reckons the finish is indicative of the crowds coming through the door. Football 365 has us at 16/17 in the Average Crowd Table, same as the team.

Open door policy still current.

Expecting a big crowd on Saturday from Carlisle, not the 4,000 Carlisle stated – nearer 2,000. Helpful to finances.

ST Deadline – not long to go, slowed down in sales. Slightly concerned. If they (fans) come out and buy so be it. We’ll see what happens.

Way Forward Next Year – Changes in paying players. Difficult to understand why players get paid the amount they do, even if they play poorly or they win 5-0. Would like to implement £6-700 basic then £6/700 win bonus if they play crap and lose no bonus – would love to implement a plan like this instead of paying £1400/1500 resents high wages they get paid. Performance related pay? Would take a brave man to implement it.

Loss of TV revenue? Not as bad as originally anticipated, everyone else is in same boat, made some TV money £10k Sheff Wed, £30k MK Dons, No JPT money as already included in FL package. Liverpool reckons we received no money despite being live on Setanta. (Not sure why???) No mention of how much we made in gate receipts from Liverpool.

Thinks the club is holding their own, despite small crowds.

Wants fans to stick with them, only as good as the fan base, if can commit to ST’s will be helping the club.

Edited by oafcprozac

Just wanted to add, The Liverpool game wasn't on live TV, however it had re-run shows on Liverpool TV which is free to air on Sky. It was shown online from foreign channels, but because it wasn't shown in the UK on TV live, we wouldn't get any money from it

:OASISscarf:

It was live in Ireland on Setanta, i've got it on DVD, not sure why we wouldn't get any money. Our players and club crest are our intellectual property. Doesn't surprise me though, given that Sentanta are a bunch of Irish Pikey Cowboys…..

It was live in Ireland on Setanta, i've got it on DVD, not sure why we wouldn't get any money. Our players and club crest are our intellectual property. Doesn't surprise me though, given that Sentanta are a bunch of Irish Pikey Cowboys…..

When half the pubs in England are showing the German version of Sky Sports?

What are people's thoughts on the half pay basic half pay bonus (or full pay basic double pay bonus depending on your outlook)?

I think it could work but you would have to be very bold! I do like the idea though. Apart from getting players to agree the other issue would be players going gung ho for a win when we're on the verge of a precious point on the promise of a massive bonus...

What are people's thoughts on the half pay basic half pay bonus (or full pay basic double pay bonus depending on your outlook)?

I think it could work but you would have to be very bold! I do like the idea though. Apart from getting players to agree the other issue would be players going gung ho for a win when we're on the verge of a precious point on the promise of a massive bonus...

Would work out fine if we are looking at kids, however someone who has the chance of coming to Latics on £700 basic with a possible win bonus of £700 would easily choose another club, who is offering say £1000 to £1200 guaranteed.

While I think its a good idea, I can't see it working! Hope I'm wrong!

It would be great to implment, and if the players were too gung ho and did not win then they loset he bonus so should cover that.

I think we can also assume that the average players is on £1,500 per week

The lower ones £1,000 and higher on £2,000.

With some exceptions of course.

I agree with the bonus scheme. i'm sure we used to have a scheme which gave so much for an away win, so much for a home win and so much for an away draw, but nothing for any other result (including a home draw). I think that might have been a long time (25 years?) ago.

Vague recollections of it being on Kick Off!

Decent points from SC there.

I knew it Ben Parker who had turned us down, a Leeds mate told me - Warnock was not impressed with him over that; and his contract was settled up pretty soon afterwards so, the reality for Parker was it was a pretty stupid decision as he's now club-less whereas he could have been playing games; whilst still being paid by Leeds, putting himself in the shop window in the process. Stupid Boy eh?

In terms of the players being released, Diamond apart, it is good to hear that it's essentially PD's decisions. As long as he's manager; so it should be too.

As for the wages point - whilst I do agree with it, we would be foolish to go that route alone. For it to work; it would need every club to adhere to it; otherwise you'll always be fighting against the clubs who merely offer a higher basic wage; than the combined wage we would be offering with the basic + bonus.

Its a good idea but big flawes, if a club offer say £1500 basic the team would have to win every single game to make about the same money, simply wont happen

I suggested a similar scheme to this in a thread a few weeks back and think its a great idea.

Re the dickovarmy's point, yes it would need thinking about. The way to do it would be to decide in advance what would constitute an acceptable number of wins and base the standard, "expected" pay around this in line with our budget. Get more wins, we pay more but finish higher up and hopefully offset the additional cost with bigger crowds, playoffs etc. Get fewer wins, we finish lower down but the players get paid less.

I'd extend it to lower basic pay with higher goal and clean sheet bonuses. It would need to be fair to all players (so strikers and defenders weren't unfairly advantaged) but I think it could work.

And I agree with Sly, its unfortunatly unlikely to work unless other clubs were doing it. Would a player be interested in potentially earning £2k per week with us (say on the basis we finished top 10) rather than guaranteed £1.5k per week somewhere else? I'd certainly be interested if a similar scheme applied where I work!

Edited by bossrocks

Ha, I saw the Dickov video a few weeks ago - couldn't understand why he raised a programme everytime he said "£10".

On the subject of pay-per-win. How would it work for players who are injured, not selected, unused subs etc..?

Tough tits innit? If you work in sales and don't sell owt you earn no commission. If you work in sales and are off sick you'll get your basic pay etc… if you're not being selected that's tough tits too….

The difference being though that in football whether you play or not is not directly in your own hands, its down to the manager. and there are occasions where a very talented player will be working his arse off in training, but still not get in the team, and even losing out to a player less talented than him. The buck stops with the manager.

In sales, the buck will stop with you. If you can sell, you get your commission. If you can't then you dont, regardless of whether your manager rates you or not.

In sales, the buck will stop with you. If you can sell, you get your commission. If you can't then you dont, regardless of whether your manager rates you or not.

Unless your manager passes you poorer leads than those he passes to the large chested blonde.