86/87 Playoffs

Don't think I've seen this before:

Anyone have the vid of the home leg? I remember listening to the radio, and also hearing the crowd in the back garden (my mum lives on Broadway opposite Clayton playing fields).

Yeah spotted this a while back, on the Thursday night I remember waiting for North West Tonight after the nine o'clock news to come on only to hear we'd lost to a last-minute Edwards winner. Same as you for the second leg I listened to it on the radio. I remember going to my grandmas in Shaw that day and remember just coach after coach parked along Broadway, Leeds must've brought thousands. In typical Latics fashion, pure elation was replaced by despair within 30 seconds! Their goalscorer has always been referred as Keith 'The Bastard' Edwards, ever since. I was listening to the Sheffield derby a few weeks back and he was their Blades summariser, oh how I enjoyed hearing him squirm when (tenuous) former Latic Chris O'Grady nicked a late winner for Wednesday.

86/87 was my first season supporting Latics and pretty much summed up the following 25 seasons, moments of hope, expectation, followed by disappointment then despair!

Yeah spotted this a while back, on the Thursday night I remember waiting for North West Tonight after the nine o'clock news to come on only to hear we'd lost to a last-minute Edwards winner. Same as you for the second leg I listened to it on the radio. I remember going to my grandmas in Shaw that day and remember just coach after coach parked along Broadway, Leeds must've brought thousands. In typical Latics fashion, pure elation was replaced by despair within 30 seconds! Their goalscorer has always been referred as Keith 'The Bastard' Edwards, ever since. I was listening to the Sheffield derby a few weeks back and he was their Blades summariser, oh how I enjoyed hearing him squirm when (tenuous) former Latic Chris O'Grady nicked a late winner for Wednesday.

86/87 was my first season supporting Latics and pretty much summed up the following 25 seasons, moments of hope, expectation, followed by disappointment then despair!

I blame Kevin Moore who was the captain, after Ces had left Aspin for dead to plant his header beyond Day he, Linegan, Wright and Irwin were dancing around the dugout. Leedw put the ball down kicked off with Latics players out of shape and Edwards scored, cant blame Edwards, it was given to him on a plate.

As I was only 10 at the time, and I wasn't there - was it really that much of a shambles?

Yeah, I was with my dad and my late grandad sat in the Main Stand closest to the Chaddy were Edwards scored the killer away goal.

Got to blame the bench also, Donachie was equally at fault utter shambles, remember it being a scuffed shot and the ball bouncing about 5 times on its way into the net.

Remember like it was yesterday.

he's a blades legend, my current accomodation is 100 meters down the road from the ground, there is a brick wall in the main stadn with each brick having a players name on and I remembered the name Keith Edwards but wasn't sure where I remembered it from. I was only 1 year old when we lost in the play offs btw

he's a blades legend, my current accomodation is 100 meters down the road from the ground, there is a brick wall in the main stadn with each brick having a players name on and I remembered the name Keith Edwards but wasn't sure where I remembered it from. I was only 1 year old when we lost in the play offs btw

He's a :censored:! Always scored against us for Sheff Utd, including a hat-trick in a 5-1 win at BP one year, then he went to Leeds for a year or two and carried on scoring against us. Even as an old man he went on loan to Plymouth during our championship season and scored at BP that year, ok we won 5-3 that night but it still hurt!

Keith 'The Bastard' Edwards….. we've had many tormentors over the years, Simon Garner, Bernie Slaven, one of our own Mick Quinn, Gordon Watson, Tommy Tynan, Ian Rush, Jimmy Quinn, Duncan Shearer, Hector Sam, Brian McClair, David White, etc, etc…. but I hate none more than Keith 'The Bastard' Edwards…..

He's a :censored:! Always scored against us for Sheff Utd, including a hat-trick in a 5-1 win at BP one year, then he went to Leeds for a year or two and carried on scoring against us. Even as an old man he went on loan to Plymouth during our championship season and scored at BP that year, ok we won 5-3 that night but it still hurt!

Keith 'The Bastard' Edwards….. we've had many tormentors over the years, Simon Garner, Bernie Slaven, one of our own Mick Quinn, Gordon Watson, Tommy Tynan, Ian Rush, Jimmy Quinn, Duncan Shearer, Hector Sam, Brian McClair, David White, etc, etc…. but I hate none more than Keith 'The Bastard' Edwards…..

How could you miss off Steve Agnew during his Barnsley days. I liked Tommy Tyan, believe it or not he now owns a pub!!

Bloody hell, I remember the 1.5 game against Sheffield, Palmer gave us the lead with a bullet header in the chaddy end.

We had grass..

Edited by Lukers1

Wasn't Palmer sent off? Think TP Scored for them too...

I cant remember the full game, just remember my dad and his mate giving Donkey Donachie a hard time as nearly all goals game from the left.

Must have been 85-86 cause I had the Spall top with my 84-85 Le Coq Sportif one underneath it....

Yeah before I started attending games, but I remember reading an article on the game the season after. Palmer sent-off Edwards shat all over us after being 1-0 up...

Sounds about right, just remember whoever player right wing ripped Donachie a new one, which wasnt that hard to do.

Sounds about right, just remember whoever player right wing ripped Donachie a new one, which wasnt that hard to do.

Not Donachie's biggest fan at LB?

Thought he was very good when Joe moved him into midfield though

Edited by oafcprozac

It was about 14 seconds after the ball was in thier net , that it was in ours . They hoofed it down the park , went under our captains foot (he had been immaculate since we bought him ) and Edwards slid it under Goram ......or that is how I recall it .

Of course nowdays it would have gone to pens. For Leeds to win on away goals when we had 7 more points was ludicriously unfair.

Not Donachie's biggest fan at LB?

Thought he was very good when Joe moved him into midfield though

He got ripped a few times, the other was when Bradford whipped us 5.1 in the FA Cup replay at VP, 4 of the 5 goals came from the left.

The other great moment was when we played away at Villa, ( I think) ball rebounds off the cross bar and super Willie managed to head in the rebound ( in his own net).

Your right about midfield, he played ok when he was switched,

It was about 14 seconds after the ball was in thier net , that it was in ours . They hoofed it down the park , went under our captains foot (he had been immaculate since we bought him ) and Edwards slid it under Goram ......or that is how I recall it .

Of course nowdays it would have gone to pens. For Leeds to win on away goals when we had 7 more points was ludicriously unfair.

A captain shouldnt allow the team to lose thier shape so easily, shame really as that was his last game as he went to Saints after,

Keith 'The Bastard' Edwards….. I hate none more than Keith 'The Bastard' Edwards…..

It felt a little bit sweeter when I continued to watch that clip and see those dirty raggy bastards throw a lead away and be denied promotion thanks to a couple of late Charlton Athletic goals. Mind you, they eventually swapped places a season or two after when Leeds went up and Chalrton eventually succumbed to the drop.

A captain shouldnt allow the team to lose thier shape so easily, shame really as that was his last game as he went to Saints after,

He was brilliant in the first leg at Elland Rd. Don't know if it's common knowledge but he has advanced dementia and requires 24 hour care.

He was brilliant in the first leg at Elland Rd. Don't know if it's common knowledge but he has advanced dementia and requires 24 hour care.

He had been ace all season, it was mentioned on here about his recent plight.

Believe it or not his brother was a better player.

Andy the Pisstaker Payton...Barnsley,Hull, Burnley....Haunted us!

Were you still a ball boy then?

If i was still one. I wasn't one at that game!! I was with my owd man, cousin and Uncle iirc - I think i'd either just finished or took a 'day off' - can't remember, though either way, it hurt, even being fairly youthful at the time.

Where you a 'ball boy' around that time then?

Edited by futchers briefs

I think Donachie's OG was Barnsley away? Good days out at Barnsley - over the moors to the Lord Nelson for lunch and a bevvy then into their social club - always refused entry at first then let in to find it full of Latics fans - same every year!!