Barton Banned For 12 Matches

He was almost guaranteed to get at least 7 games, 4 for the sending off (he got an extra game as he had been sent off already) and then another 3 for the Aguero kick, which he admitted to. If they found him guilty of the Kompany butt that was always going to add another 3 games too. If he could have done the three things in different games in one season he would have gotten more than 12 games.

Edited by rudemedic

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16233757 ,it should have been for 12months not 12games

You can always be relied on to keep things in proportion, Bob. Cantona didn't get that long for attacking a fan in the stands.

I can't stand Barton but think this has been blown out of all proportion. I think a seven game ban would have been sufficient. I bet if Djibril Cisse had done the same, having two red cards to his name already, he wouldn't have got such a hefty ban. Barton's reputation has played a part, in my opinion.

Saying all that, I have no sympathy for the hideous little bastard.

7 games for the knee and attempted (though weak attempt) headbutt compared to eight games for Suarez and Thatcher for their respective offences is a joke.

That said, Suarez and Thatcher's should have been a lot longer. Fine with this ban provided it's a sign the FA are going to toughen up across the board. I doubt it is however and therefore it is a disproportionate ban.

Not really. Got more games than suarez.

I think thats harsh

FFS. Perspective.

Barton, it can be argued, is lucky to get away with 12 games for his disgraceful behaviour after already being sent off, and the fact that he a repeat offender. No OTT about it.

Suarez said some offensive words, and he deserves more time on the sides than this violent thug?

Edited by PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

If you said it in work, you would get the sack. Some might argue a year long ban doesn't equate. (but I don't think any longer is warranted).

PC police - I'm hardly that. I find racism offensive,you don't.

I don't find what barton did to be too much of a problem to be honest, I'd say you are very much part of the PC brigade on that - and a bandwaggon jumper.

Edited by pukka

PC police - I'm hardly that. I find racism offensive,you don't.

Don't accuse me of sentiments I do not hold. I do find racism offensive. I simply don't find "offence" itself to be that big a deal.

I don't find what barton did to be too much of a problem to be honest, I'd say you are very much part of the PC brigade on that - and a bandwaggon jumper.

I'm PC because I find violent thugary to be a far worse crime than a racial slur???? And what bandwaggon are you referring to? I honestly don't know or care what the general public opinion is on this. I have only read what is on this thread.

"I do find racism offensive. I simply don't find "offence" itself to be that big a deal" - so you don't find the fact someone has been racist a big deal, but you find racism offensive. Er... ok.

What you are saying is "Violent Thuggery" - I say is something quite minor. I'd say yes, thats an OTT reaction.

That video I posted is in my opinion violent conduct - I'm not sure what bans will be given for that. (Hock from wigan has previous too)

Edited by pukka

That video I posted is in my opinion violent conduct - I'm not sure what bans will be given for that. (Hock from wigan has previous too)

3, 2 and 1 game plus £300

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/mobile/rugby-league/18235546

Seems about right.

There is a bit of a fallacy to compare punishments across sports. However, someone else was found guilty of the same offence as Suarez and originally got the same sort of ban. As for Barton, like I said earlier, he was found guilty of 3 different bits of violent conduct, so the best he could have hoped for was a 10 game ban, considering he had already been sent off once previously last season.

Edited by rudemedic

so you don't find the fact someone has been racist a big deal, but you find racism offensive. Er... ok.

What words or attitudes I find offensive and what words or attitudes Joe Bloggs finds offensive should in no way be regulated publicly and on the grand scheme of things is wholly insignifant when compared to physical actions, eg Violence.

Finding something personally offensive should not give me the right to insist that the law punishes that offense. If you want the law bringing into it, you should have a better excuse than "I was offended".

3, 2 and 1 game plus £300

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/mobile/rugby-league/18235546

Seems about right.

There is a bit of a fallacy to compare punishments across sports. However, someone else was found guilty of the same offence as Suarez and originally got the same sort of ban. As for Barton, like I said earlier, he was found guilty of 3 different bits of violent conduct, so the best he could have hoped for was a 10 game ban, considering he had already been sent off once previously last season.

Thing is, though, without his reputation, would have been charged with three counts? I'm not so sure.

What words or attitudes I find offensive and what words or attitudes Joe Bloggs finds offensive should in no way be regulated publicly and on the grand scheme of things is wholly insignifant when compared to physical actions, eg Violence.

Finding something personally offensive should not give me the right to insist that the law punishes that offense. If you want the law bringing into it, you should have a better excuse than "I was offended".

So racism shouldn't be classed as an offence at all?

"Finding something personally offensive should not give me the right to insist that the law punishes that offense. If you want the law bringing into it, you should have a better excuse than "I was offended".

My excuse (as you put it) isn't - "I'm offended" - John Terry is due to appear in court for alledged racism. I'm not saying that should have been the case for suarez, personally I find that harsh - but if Terry is and Suarez didn't have to, I don't see why that is the case.

However much of a tool Joey Barton might be, I'm not going to applaud 2 bellends for attacking someone outside a gay club, whoever it happened to have been. If Joey Barton hadn't been there, they probably would have attacked someone else.