GROUNDHOG DAY !

Watching Crewe, go up in the play offs, just drilled it home to me what a bloody bore it is being an Oldham fan, they are like us, although a better ground but similar amount of fans, and skint to boot.

But their fans have a much more exciting time than us, yes they actually change divisions! sometimes up and sometimes down, but at least something happens, not us no, I've watched Oldham for over 40 years and during that time i've seen 2 promotions and 2 relegations, jesus what i'd give for something to happen.

But they have a better template than us, they havent a lot of money, and so they have to use the kids, those kids like this season have gelled together because they havent had a choice, whilst us with a good youth set up will bring in a load of players on loan rather than use our own kids, players who dont give a :censored: about latics, and even less about where we go.

Some of the best football I saw this season was the 2nd half of the final game, when the youth came in, and actually played some cracking football, and i dont care about people saying you cant put em in they are too young, they will get better as they play more together, they are hungry and not just waiting for the end of the season to see where there agent has got them a move too, (and in Latics case it would be a free move as well), as we dont seem to have the first idea about contracts at this club, if that kid who scored the wonder goal for Crewe was an Oldham player he'd be out of contract now, not helping to rake in the reported 4 million that the club will now utilise to re build and bring in some more expierienced players for the up coming season whilst still keeping the formula working.

They might go down, they could stay up but at least in the next few years something will happen, better than this boring ooh what might have been season repeating itself like groundhog day every year.

When Corney said how much the loan players had cost us for season the ineptitude just beggered belief, If PD wants loans, tell him to :censored: off and see what Philliskirk has got for him, if he doesnt like it, tell him where to go and stick Philliskirk in the job, or somebody like him, some of the football I saw last year was as bad a Penny's, some games I only needed one hand to count the shots never mind goals.

And thats why the Zebra Finance forms remain on the fireplace, filled in but not being posted anytime soon !!

I've been working in Huddersfield today and not far from the Galpharm. They've had an open top bus parade around the town.

OK, they went up via the Play-Offs whilst coming 4th in the league but damn I was envious.

I've been an Oldham fan now for 25 years and 15 of those years in this league. I'd rather be at this level then out of business or non-league but it's about time lady luck shone on us. I'm sure we've been at this level the longest than any other League One club but a number of seasons.

Crewe seem to be good at bouncing back straight away, as do Wolves. Generally, though, clubs that go down stay down - Evidence from the last 18 years suggests we'd be one of them.

Fair point about the loan signings though - if we are now less likely to make much money on the rare occasion a quality player comes through the youth system and the majority arn't good enough to ever get into our first team, what exactly is the point in having the youth team? There must be someone in either the reserves or the youth team that can do as good a job as Tom Adeyemi, say...

I've been working in Huddersfield today and not far from the Galpharm. They've had an open top bus parade around the town.

OK, they went up via the Play-Offs whilst coming 4th in the league but damn I was envious.

I've been an Oldham fan now for 25 years and 15 of those years in this league. I'd rather be at this level then out of business or non-league but it's about time lady luck shone on us. I'm sure we've been at this level the longest than any other League One club but a number of seasons.

We've been at this level longer than any club has been at any level (premier league disregarded)

Playing devil's advocate a bit, is our youth set up that good? How many players have established themselves in the first team? How many have gone elsewhere for really significant fees?

I'm certainly not casting any aspersions on what Philiskirk does and I'm not saying it doesn't have some value; the transfers of Trotman (not strictly one our youth products), Eardley, Spencer and Eaves have helped to keep the club afloat. But how many players have become a real success? Eardley is, no question. Latics can't take any real credit for Tierney's progression though. Spencer is a massive flop, as was Trotman after leaving Boundary Park. No sign of Eaves coming through at Bolton. Philiskirk Jnr didn't make it at Chelsea either and is struggling to get into a side in our division.

That, of course, means we cashed in at the right time on most of them. But it also shows we haven't produced many great talents in recent years. I understand that financial constraints must make life difficult for Philiskirk but other clubs in our position produce, from time to time, a player who attracts a meatier fee than the £500k paid for Trotman.

I suppose all I'm really saying is that this notion that we have a great youth setup is a myth and, in fact, it's pretty bloody average.

Crewe seem to be good at bouncing back straight away, as do Wolves. Generally, though, clubs that go down stay down - Evidence from the last 18 years suggests we'd be one of them.

Fair point about the loan signings though - if we are now less likely to make much money on the rare occasion a quality player comes through the youth system and the majority arn't good enough to ever get into our first team, what exactly is the point in having the youth team? There must be someone in either the reserves or the youth team that can do as good a job as Tom Adeyemi, say...

Is there? Winchester. Millar, Mellor, Hughes? Would any of them have lasted over 30 matches and done as much? no.

Oh, forgot to add that there was a strong rumour over here today that Grayson will be signing Taylor. Grayson's a fan of Taylor and once the news about Millwall came out, Grayson asked Taylor to hold fire until this week when Huddersfield will offer him a two-year deal but in Championship rather than League One. There's interest from Leeds too but they're offering just the one year same as Millwall.

Crossing paths with Taylor could be Roberts coming t'other way across the hill but the stumbling block is wage demands even though Huddersfield are offering him reduced terms.

Oh, forgot to add that there was a strong rumour over here today that Grayson will be signing Taylor. Grayson's a fan of Taylor and once the news about Millwall came out, Grayson asked Taylor to hold fire until this week when Huddersfield will offer him a two-year deal but in Championship rather than League One. There's interest from Leeds too but they're offering just the one year same as Millwall.

Crossing paths with Taylor could be Roberts coming t'other way across the hill but the stumbling block is wage demands even though Huddersfield are offering him reduced terms.

It seems a pretty likely destination for him.

I would definately give them some game time. who knows what would have happened if we had played them from january onwards. they might have flopped, but they certainly wouldnt have done any worse than what we actually played.

if i were gaffer id be getting an experienced backbone in and pad out the team with youth players. on a reduced budget as we are id be putting the majority into experience in the right areas. keeper, 2 central defenders, 2 centre mids and a striker. the rest i would play youth. rather that than some third rate loanee or has been.