• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 questions for you. I guess you're an avid watcher of college football.

I hear that defences in college football are really poor, what do you think about the quality of them?

Why is there such a huge hype about college football, crowds exceeding those of NFL teams?

Poor isn't the correct word, perhaps diluted. This is what I think; the college game is used for recruitment into the NFL where the training and coaching for the raw talent is stepped up dramatically due to massive budgets - the players hone their skills. I consider that there are 120ish division 1 college football teams and the NFL drafts only draft an average 250 eligible players from the college game - arguably the top 32 are some of the best, however this isn't always the case, sometimes a rookie player might have an outstanding first NFL season, sometimes it takes a few seasons to get going. So I suppose there is only so much talent to go around 32 NFL teams, and therefore that small pocket of 'uneducated' talent is spread throughout the NCAAF divisions.

As for the way the best BCS teams are supported, I'm not sure - LSU is in Baton Rouge who's fans might not want to support the Saints in New Orleans, as the State NFL team. Perhaps it's a city/regional thing...

I think it is down to a number of reasons.

Distance being one of them. You'll support your local team and in the main you are a million miles from an NFL team. In relative terms high school teams are just as manic, I'd point you towards the new Allen Eagle Stadium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Eagle_Stadium.jpg) on that one (in Texas of course)

You have students, parents and alumni supporting the teams at the games, which is a substantial number in the crowd.

When I've been over there, there is pride in their local university teams (Pittsburgh and Cincinnati immediately come to mind - even though they have NFL teams and not very good college teams).

The defences often lack discipline (well the whole teams do - it just shows up in the defensive side of things as one missed play is very detrimental). What you do notice about the college game is momentum. You can have a team getting slaughtered one second, then a dropped punt and all of a sudden they are romping it. Plus, dominant teams will rack up scores to get up the BSC list - so scores can get daft.

Sanchez with a 4 QBR and 3 INTs this weekend!

Looks like the year of the new QBs. McElroy presumabley for Sanchez, Kapaernick for Smith, Foles for Vick. RGIII with so many TDs and so few INTs, Luck with the excellent record, Wilson with a good record and QBR, Tannehill is getting wins and even Weeden, with his poor recieving core is doing pretty well - 13TDs and INTs.

I read a stat saying that this season has on average the youngest QBs.

Also, if you didn't know, like I didn't until this week. BBC have put their weekly match, Monday Night Football, onto BBC HD so that it is recordable instead of having to watch it on iPlayer the night after.

They've also replaced the intervals whilst there are adverts and breaks on US TV from graphics and short videos to a studio with Darren Fletcher (the commentator) and a guest, this week being Superbowl winning Colt, Rocky Boiman.

Much improved, well done BBC, well worth a watch!

Sanchez with a 4 QBR and 3 INTs this weekend!

Looks like the year of the new QBs. McElroy presumabley for Sanchez, Kapaernick for Smith, Foles for Vick...

Also, if you didn't know, like I didn't until this week. BBC have put their weekly match, Monday Night Football, onto BBC HD so that it is recordable instead of having to watch it on iPlayer the night after.

They've also replaced the intervals whilst there are adverts and breaks on US TV from graphics and short videos to a studio with Darren Fletcher (the commentator) and a guest, this week being Superbowl winning Colt, Rocky Boiman.

Much improved, well done BBC, well worth a watch!

Think the Jets might opt for Tebow to take more snaps at QB before they go for a rookie. Foles isn't going to be a permanent replacement for Vick and once Vick is healthy again he is probably going to be first choice once more. Though I suppose it depends on what the presumably new coach is going to do next season. As a 49ers fan wasn't all that impressed with Kapaernick when I saw him, he looked like he has potential but think Smith is currently the better QB. I suppose Kapaernick gives the 49ers a little bit more towards the run at QB but Smith is the better passer and the 49ers don't need their QB to run much, but need a good passer.

Never managed to find the MNF on iplayer unless it's live. Still not convinced by its format but it's not like they had a budget and Fletch obviously knows his stuff and is less wooden than the Sky guys. The guy they had on last week was quite good despite his lack of pedigree- he'd played 1 year in the Redskins squad and now plays in Poland.

Never managed to find the MNF on iplayer unless it's live. Still not convinced by its format but it's not like they had a budget and Fletch obviously knows his stuff and is less wooden than the Sky guys. The guy they had on last week was quite good despite his lack of pedigree- he'd played 1 year in the Redskins squad and now plays in Poland.

You could say the same about Cecil Martin really. Played about 5 games, got 1 TD and an award for overcoming great difficulty (he has Bells Palsy). There are weeks when nobodies are on the show eg. Bradlee Van Pelt, David Tuckman and that WR for the London Monarchs but I have to admit I was very impressed when Troy Brown was on there. He's an absolute legend in the NFL.

As for the new BBC show, Fletch is very good I think and Boiman complimented him well, I don't know if they will change guests weekly or stick with them 2. And the studio is far cosier too, Sky's studio can be horrible to look at, too bright and massive screens etc.

If you do want to watch MNF on BBC iPlayer then type "American Football" into the searchbar on iPlayer's website and it's come up every week so far for me.

As an Eagles fan, I'm hoping that Vick is released next year, we're going backwards with him there. Our O-line has let him down badly but we will never be successful, too injury and mistake prone. Depending on Foles' performances before the end of the season I would draft a new QB, we'll probably be near to the top of the draft too. We could do with new cornerbacks and a few more O-liners as well. Lively draft next year for us..

I don't know what to do with Reid, 12 years in charge, 5 Championship games, it's tough to know what to do.

He's pulled off another blinder this year drafting Bryce Brown, even with his fumbling issues, and our O-Line, the major reason that we've been so bad, was obliterated with injuries. Peters, Kelce and Harremans.

With a new pair of cornerbacks, a fit, reinforced O-line and a decent QB we'd be complete I genuinelly think.

And if the we get Norv Turner, Lincoln Financial Field will be empty in protest.

Cecil Martin

Makes a hash of the Thanksgiving turkey every year. I like him though.

I remember Nicky Horne on C4 back in 1984 - my Dad picked Marino's Miami to support and I took Pittsburgh at the time not knowing both would be in the AFC Championship game - great times.

You think Philly fans are the type to moan and complain?...

We have things to moan about. 4 turnovers in 5 possessions v Bengals.

Everything that could go wrong, is going wrong.

Need a complete overhaul of the team. Vick, Jackson, half of the O-line, Nnamdi, Rogers-Cromartie and many more don't cut it. Some have the talent but temprement and consistency is abysmal.

I'm also astounded we released Babin. 2nd top sacks last season and we get rid of him half half way through the season. Fortunately, DE and Linebackers are 2 of the strongest positions we have other than RB so we have good replacements.

The prospect of next season, with a bad draft, terrifies me. Superstar team, my arse.

And this is why people can't watch college football. Arizona clocking up 49 points against Nevada is just daft.

That's probably the best game since the Texas-USC Rose Bowl*.

*I don't include the Cardinals v Packers playoff game as I have no idea how good that was due to dying a thousand deaths.

I literally cannot believe the Jets were still in with a shout at the playoffs until last night. How?!

Because they've beaten the poor teams. Bills, Dolphins, Colts (before Luck started motoring), Rams, Cardinals, and Jags.

They've lost to the Steelers, 49ers, Texans, Patriots and Seahawks so anybody decent they lose to.

They won't get anywhere with Sanchez or Tebow. McElroy might be there starting QB next season if they don't draft one.

Sanchez has been replaced as the starter by McElroy (not surprising, predictable in fact)!

Completely ignored Tebow which brings into question the reasoning for bringing him in, adds to the NYJ circus and surely can't have helped Sanchez.

Rex Ryan is an appalling coach.

Whatever happens this season, we've won the right games. :shakeit:

Up yours. :lol:

It's been an awful season for me, tempered slightly by being on the verge of winning my (Ackey's) Fantasy championship. Hopefully CJ can break Jerry Rice's single-season receiving yards record as well.

• 2 weeks later...