Striker worth a look ?

Mark Ford, Weymouth, 21 year old fox in the box striker recommended by a contact down south.

Can he do it a division one level ?... certainly looks very sharp.

Even If he was signed Dickov wouldn't play him.......he didn't play Kelly ( who I thought was decent ) doesen't play Smith, and I can see the same happening with Taylor!

Mark Ford, Weymouth, 21 year old fox in the box striker recommended by a contact down south.

Can he do it a division one level ?... certainly looks very sharp.

I've heard good things about Ford before. What's his beef with corner flags?

Went to watch my other club Droylsden today and it was refreshing to see some slick passing and 5 goals from them.

However, one of their new signings took my eye, 19 year old right back Cliff Moyo. I understand he was an England schools under 18 international centre back.

Although appearing to be carrying an injury he showed some silky skills and lovely ball control, attacking with pace at every opportunity.

I'll keep a look out for him to see if he continues to impress..

http://www.newzimbab...spx?newsID=4896

Edited by BP1960

Went to watch my other club Droylsden today and it was refreshing to see some slick passing and 5 goals from them.

However, one of their new signings took my eye, 19 year old right back Cliff Moyo. I understand he was an England under 18 international centre back.

Although looking to be carrying an injury he showed some silky skills and lovely ball control, attacking with pace at every opportunity.

I'll keep an eye on him.

http://www.newzimbab...spx?newsID=4896

Moyo was on loan from Barrow last season and he was no more than average I thought from what I saw. However, I didn't know he was 19, maybe he has some promise then.

Moyo was on loan from Barrow last season and he was no more than average I thought from what I saw. However, I didn't know he was 19, maybe he has some promise then.

You never know in this game, some progress while others fade.

I hope this doesn't sound sarcastic or snide because that's absolutely not my intention, but given how many promising Droyslden players you've highlighted in the past, how are the team doing and how have they been doing with those players in the side? And for the ones you've mentioned who've moved on, what level are they now at and how are they doing?

I guess I have a track record of cynical responses to the many "worth a punt" threads on here, so am keen to balance it out by actually keeping an open mind for once.

By the way, on a non-league tangent: Medi Abalimba signed for Farnborough, bossed the midfield in pre-season and the first game or two, but is now out thanks to a deserved red card. Shooting himself in the foot there...

My only limited tip is pacy winger/striker Daniel Bennett. Formerly with Chertsey Town, stepped up to Blue Square South last season and has a current record of 7 goals in 29 games. Now aged 24, and has added workrate and tracking back to his flair and shooting. But, he'd be a risk as with flair comes inconsistency (at least last season).

Highlights of his best performance this season — he's the Farnborough number 7:

Edited by Crusoe

I hope this doesn't sound sarcastic or snide because that's absolutely not my intention, but given how many promising Droyslden players you've highlighted in the past, how are the team doing and how have they been doing with those players in the side? And for the ones you've mentioned who've moved on, what level are they now at and how are they doing?

I guess I have a track record of cynical responses to the many "worth a punt" threads on here, so am keen to balance it out by actually keeping an open mind for once.

Did I say Latics should sign Moyo or Ford ? I merely pointed out they appear to have potential.

However, I still have faith in Dan Gardner (now with Halifax, but injured for a couple of months) will come good, he's way above any midfield player at the Latics in ability, the fact league clubs haven't signed him means nothing to me, time is on his side and cream will eventually rise to the top.

IMO some of the players currently on the Latics books will be playing non league football before long - and won't be as good as many at that level.

Edited by BP1960

Did I say Latics should sign Moyo or Ford ? I merely pointed out they appear to have potential.

IMO some of the players currently on the Latics book will be playing non league football before long - and won't be as good as many at that level.

I interpreted that by highlighting them you thought they could make the step up to Latics, but fair enough, you did not say that.

And on the second point? Couldn't agree more. Sadly for them, but I reckon four or five of the first team squad could end up playing non-league.

I interpreted that by highlighting them you thought they could make the step up to Latics, but fair enough, you did not say that.

And on the second point? Couldn't agree more. Sadly for them, but I reckon four or five of the first team squad could end up playing non-league.

Football is a funny game Crusoe, players can move up from lower levels and go down from higher levels, players can improve or not depending on various reasons.

I am one of those who believes no one gets it right all the time, not even top flight football managers, you have to take a chance sometimes on unproven players, it may not pay off (as in the case of Kelly at the Latics), but imagine if Latics had taken a chance on Vardy when he was playing in the North West Counties league - a player who later reaped over £1 million for his club, the whole scene at BP could now be different.

My mates Dad scouts the lower leagues for many teams including Oldham and he watched Vardy for 3 months and begged Oldham to give him a chance and time..

Dickov and Taggart both watched him 3 times, to report back to my mates Dad "nothing out of the ordinary, wont make it"

However, I still have faith in Dan Gardner (now with Halifax, but injured for a couple of months) will come good, he's way above any midfield player at the Latics in ability, the fact league clubs haven't signed him means nothing to me, time is on his side and cream will eventually rise to the top.

IMO some of the players currently on the Latics books will be playing non league football before long - and won't be as good as many at that level.

Which players specifically, BP?

I'm with BP1960 here.

Dale Stephens and Adam Dugdale (now at Crewe) are players who have come from Droylsden in the last few years into the league. Smith obviously hasn't made as much as an impact yet but he's still a league player and another, Jody Banim went up to the league around 5 years ago, Rory Patterson was at Droylsden too. Jamie Maguire at Fleetwood is making news there as a good player and he was sold to Fleetwoodby the Bloods. There are talents there and Dave Pace knows a good footballer so ruling out these players BP1960 mentions could be something we rue.

Obviously not all of them will make it but there are gambles that could pay off, I would imagine their wages wouldn't be high and he fee's would be low. Some can make it.

I'm with BP1960 here.

Dale Stephens and Adam Dugdale (now at Crewe) are players who have come from Droylsden in the last few years into the league. Smith obviously hasn't made as much as an impact yet but he's still a league player and another, Jody Banim went up to the league around 5 years ago, Rory Patterson was at Droylsden too. Jamie Maguire at Fleetwood is making news there as a good player and he was sold to Fleetwoodby the Bloods. There are talents there and Dave Pace knows a good footballer so ruling out these players BP1960 mentions could be something we rue.

Obviously not all of them will make it but there are gambles that could pay off, I would imagine their wages wouldn't be high and he fee's would be low. Some can make it.

Also Droylsden's Sean Whalley,Tony Gray, Jake Speight and Danny Rowe moved up to the Conference and were all among that leagues leading goalscorers last season, could they do it at another level or two higher - who knows unless they get the chance ?

I have a feeling Cliff Moyo will attract a lot of interest, a very confident and classy display today for one so young.

Edited by BP1960

How did Rob Sissons play, 1960?

Played very well Lee, he has made a big difference to the team, scored a lovely goal with a run into the box after a 5 men passing move - and he was the defensive midfielder.

Edited by BP1960

My mates Dad scouts the lower leagues for many teams including Oldham and he watched Vardy for 3 months and begged Oldham to give him a chance and time..

Dickov and Taggart both watched him 3 times, to report back to my mates Dad "nothing out of the ordinary, wont make it"

FFS

Anyone else he's recommended who's still available?