Coventry Game

Couldn't make it and haven't spoken to anyone who went.

Apart from being disappointed at being 0-0 on 90 mins. and then being extremely "p*ssed off" at going 1-0 down, I know nothing about how we played......did we hoof it to Derbyshire? Did we have any high points? Or just more of the :censored:e served up at Brentford?

Can someone kindly fill in the gaps please?

First half was awful with barely any opportunities made, lots of nothing. We didn't really hoof it, instead we looked most dangerous on the counter-attacks in the last half an hour with Baxter usually being the one to take the ball forward and link the play - he was MotM by a mile.

We had some chances when Derbyshire tried to do a flick and the keeper saved well, parrying it out to the line where Furman contested a challenge to try to prod it in but the ball was stopped and cleared. Baxter hit the post from a long shot and had numerous shots on target, a few that made the goalkeeper work. Derbyshire got in on goal and took it past the keeper who fouled him which would've prompted a penality but it was given offside which I've seen questioned on here (I was in the Chaddy so I couldn't tell).

Coventry were getting a bit of success down the wings, they had 3 or 4 crosses that their strikers narrowly missed, had they touched them they most probably would have been goals. Bouzanis pulled off a few great saves to stop them from getting ahead so it was a shaky defensive performance.

The first half was drivel with Montano and Wabara down the wings the only players to cause them any serious problems but the second half was quite open and we had our usual 5 minute spells of attacks that fizzled out, like usual but we couldn't convert even after being in the last 3rd for a surprising length of time.

Normal day at the office. Couldn't convert the chances and paid for it with Coventry scoring their goal having been the worse side throughout.

Did not get to the game on Saturday but apparently Coventry made 3 substitutions during the 90 minutes. We eventually made 2 on 90 minutes after going one nil down.

Any ideas on why this was? Were all the players doing so well no one deserved taking off. Were there no tired legs. Could we not have changed things tactically.

Perhaps we had nobody of any worth on the bench. Maybe Simpson didn,t want to turn one of his old clubs over?

Any ideas anyone.

Did not get to the game on Saturday but apparently Coventry made 3 substitutions during the 90 minutes. We eventually made 2 on 90 minutes after going one nil down.

Any ideas on why this was? Were all the players doing so well no one deserved taking off. Were there no tired legs. Could we not have changed things tactically.

Perhaps we had nobody of any worth on the bench. Maybe Simpson didn,t want to turn one of his old clubs over?

Any ideas anyone.

That idea about Simpson not wanting to turn one of his previous clubs over couldn't be further from what it looked like. He was so fidgity and enthusiastic on the sidelines; he warmed up for about an hour and kept trying to get Dickov's attention by the looks of it. He was desperate to get on.

And regarding the decision not to bring on some fresh legs, I was astonished the further we went through the game. Lee Croft was exhausted, he could hardly chase down the ball, we needed a change. Baxter and Derbyshire we lively still and threatening so they were rightfully kept, especially as we were mostly on the counter-attack near to the end so faster players suited us.

Montano was having a poor second half so he could have been replaced with no qualms.

But for me, the most frustrating part was not taking off Wes or Furman. Furman wasn't playing particularly well and he didn't provide anything attacking so he or Wes should have been replaced.

Dickov needed to make a sub and in the end I think it cost us. They had 3 new players with energy and we had non.

That idea about Simpson not wanting to turn one of his previous clubs over couldn't be further from what it looked like. He was so fidgity and enthusiastic on the sidelines; he warmed up for about an hour and kept trying to get Dickov's attention by the looks of it. He was desperate to get on.

And regarding the decision not to bring on some fresh legs, I was astonished the further we went through the game. Lee Croft was exhausted, he could hardly chase down the ball, we needed a change. Baxter and Derbyshire we lively still and threatening so they were rightfully kept, especially as we were mostly on the counter-attack near to the end so faster players suited us.

Montano was having a poor second half so he could have been replaced with no qualms.

But for me, the most frustrating part was not taking off Wes or Furman. Furman wasn't playing particularly well and he didn't provide anything attacking so he or Wes should have been replaced.

Dickov needed to make a sub and in the end I think it cost us. They had 3 new players with energy and we had non.

That is the most baffling thing from Saturday - it was obvious that Montano and Croft were struggling second half and yet Dickov did nothing until the 90th minute - fer chrissake PD, which game were you watching?

Three pieces of advice for tomorrow:

1. Get the team to play at a higher tempo
  2. Get more bodies into the box
  3. Change it early if it is not going well on the pitch

or the end could be well and truly nigh...

That is the most baffling thing from Saturday - it was obvious that Montano and Croft were struggling second half and yet Dickov did nothing until the 90th minute - fer chrissake PD, which game were you watching?

Three pieces of advice for tomorrow:

1. Get the team to play at a higher tempo
  2. Get more bodies into the box
  3. Change it early if it is not going well on the pitch

or the end could be well and truly nigh...

A question that must be asked is why did so many players fade after about an hour into the match (Wesolowski's legs in particular had gone) and why didn't the manager see and do anything about it ?

Looked to me like the Coventry management team spotted it early and took advantage.

It would be interesting to know how many times PD has made his first substitution before the oppostion, and how many times an opposition substitute has scored against us this season?

Edited by BP1960

Dickov must see things differently to everyone else - arms folded and chin down does not help - because he should have made changes at half time. Two defensive mid field players against a team that was so lacking in anything but no they were allowed to play themselves into the game and I felt were the only ones likely to score after we failed to turn our one good spell into a goal.

Wes or Furman should have been substituted with either Smith or Simpson allowing Baxter to attack from mid field. Someone should also tell Dickov that Derbyshire might look big to him but in fact he is not a long ball target man but needs the ball to his feet. If the long ball is what he wants then play Smith with Derbyshire.

On the question of fitness - Croft can do a great job for us but he needs to shed his spare tyre. My thought is that Dickov might be trying to pull things round by getting the players to work harder, to roll up their sleeves, with the result that they are leaving any sharpness and energy on the training ground.

I'm not really surprised that Wes' legs went in the last 20mins, he'd done the shift of 2 players for 70mins.

Furman had an extremely poor game on Sat; in a continuation of his season's form really.

I dont want this taken as player bashing; becuase that's not the purpose.

If i was manager, regardless of him being captain, i'd be giving Furman an ultimatum - improve massively or find yourself dropped for an extended period.

Wes can't do it all on his own. We all what he gives to the side; so that should in theory leave the other CM free to grab the game by the scruff of neck and look to stamp authority on it - demanding the ball, showing for it; and once in possession; driving forward with it - safe in the knowledge there's a workhorse behind to mop up and do the ugly stuff.

Furman isnt doing that. Wes is doing his part of the bargin, but the sides captain has been a massive let down all season. I would be bringing in David Mellor and pl aying him alongside Wes, as on current performances; Furman doesn't warrant a starting spot IMO.