corney goes on the attack- again.

not arsed if Corney has a rant because he's employing them and he's keeping the club alive.

but £4000 in appearance money? seems a bit much ontop of wages as well? no doubt this will be low for this league too but appearance money should be given if the players choose to turn up, doesnt seem right that Montano got paid extra for tuesday

If I was paying out that sort of money I would be getting rather annoyed aswell!! Corney clearly doesn't feel dickov is being hard enough on the players otherwise he wouldn't find it necessary to keep doing it. Only one way this is going end dickov on a fine line now. wouldn't surprise me if corney has already been in contact with potential new gaffers.

not arsed if Corney has a rant because he's employing them and he's keeping the club alive.

but £4000 in appearance money? seems a bit much ontop of wages as well? no doubt this will be low for this league too but appearance money should be given if the players choose to turn up, doesnt seem right that Montano got paid extra for tuesday

thats the thing that sticks in my throat the most.....£4K per game? That equals out at around 300 quid extra per person for "attempting" to do a job they've already been paid to do. Do i get extra for making sure i made an appearance in work at 10:30pm tuesday night after that shambles? No....

Yes....ok....they're in contracts but this is another reason why footballers don't turn up...they get paid whatever happens.

thats the thing that sticks in my throat the most.....£4K per game? That equals out at around 300 quid extra per person for "attempting" to do a job they've already been paid to do. Do i get extra for making sure i made an appearance in work at 10:30pm tuesday night after that shambles? No....

Yes....ok....they're in contracts but this is another reason why footballers don't turn up...they get paid whatever happens.

Maybe its a way around the salary cap?

If I got the salary that the players get for having most afternoons off and having to perform my job for an hour and a half, sometimes three hours per week, then I would expect to get a rollicking if I failed to do it to my utmost efficiency.

Yes, players do have "off days", as someone said, but those "off days" should not be on a match-day and they shouldn't involve most of the bloody players on the pitch. They should all donate their appearance fees to charity (and let's face it, 'appear' is just about all they managed to achieve).

I totally agree with Corney.

Your point isn't bad, but the anaolgy is poor. In most people's job.....the majority of the week is 'mundane' at best. For some, there is routine and the occasional opportunity to 'shine'...as, for example in a sales role...or as a professional footballer. The notion that a professional footballer in League 1 only has to work for 90 or 180 minutes per week is at best, naive. Fact is, no matter how well (or poorly) an individual may play.....the team game can make the efforts of the same individual look less, or more fullsome than the individual would like. I don't believe that any player (except for the odd, toally demotivated and disenfranchised oddball) ever sets out to achieve less than his best. I haven't seen Latics play this season, but i can't readily remember seeing this type of individual pull on a blue shirt in over 40 years of watching Oldham Athletic.

It's the collective that matters. Sometimes, the players can influence (either postively or negatively) over and above their collective ability......sometimes, the management team likewise, but for the majority of teams......season in, season out.........they finish where their collective ability determines. From afar, Latics may be slightly under-achieving.........but championship material, they are not......with or without some talented loanees.

Your point isn't bad, but the anaolgy is poor. In most people's job.....the majority of the week is 'mundane' at best. For some, there is routine and the occasional opportunity to 'shine'...as, for example in a sales role...or as a professional footballer. The notion that a professional footballer in League 1 only has to work for 90 or 180 minutes per week is at best, naive. Fact is, no matter how well (or poorly) an individual may play.....the team game can make the efforts of the same individual look less, or more fullsome than the individual would like. I don't believe that any player (except for the odd, toally demotivated and disenfranchised oddball) ever sets out to achieve less than his best. I haven't seen Latics play this season, but i can't readily remember seeing this type of individual pull on a blue shirt in over 40 years of watching Oldham Athletic.

It's the collective that matters. Sometimes, the players can influence (either postively or negatively) over and above their collective ability......sometimes, the management team likewise, but for the majority of teams......season in, season out.........they finish where their collective ability determines. From afar, Latics may be slightly under-achieving.........but championship material, they are not......with or without some talented loanees.

As you're commenting from afar you won't have seen how piss poor this division is this season. We're under achieving big style, this squad is more than capable of being around the top 6 imo.

As you're commenting from afar you won't have seen how piss poor this division is this season. We're under achieving big style, this squad is more than capable of being around the top 6 imo.

Fair enough Steve......my point being......that over the course of the season, if they are currently better than their current performances or league position suggest.......they are likely to finish there or thereabouts.....where they deserve, belong, should be and likely should remain. Mid table, League 1.

Fair enough Steve......my point being......that over the course of the season, if they are currently better than their current performances or league position suggest.......they are likely to finish there or thereabouts.....where they deserve, belong, should be and likely should remain. Mid table, League 1.

That's true. It just seems a good opportunity to progress this season, but inconsistency is blighting us again.

We put in a few very good performances recently, but have now reverted to the mundane......it's so frustrating.

Whilst I can agree with your point of view, it must be difficult to fully appreciate what is going on from the other side of the World. You have to be at BP to witness and sense the total lack of 'professionalism', in my opinion, that was on display. To me, playing professional football is a lifestyle that a relative handful of people are lucky enough to achieve. The players are looked after health-wise. From what I have seen, they train in the mornings and go home in the afternoons and then, they have to apply their professional skills in a competitive 'work-place' for a matter of a few hours a week.

Of course there is mundaneness in the life of an average professional footballer, as there is in everybody's, but real work pressure is having to travel several hours a day to and from the office by public transport, working in a crappy environment for eight hours under consistent stress and then attempting to relieve that stress at the weekends by watching a bunch of well-paid 'professionals' put in a collectively abysmal shift at the 'office'.

PD can come out with all the excuses he likes.

I am getting pretty pi**ed off with it, now.

Whilst I can agree with your point of view, it must be difficult to fully appreciate what is going on from the other side of the World. You have to be at BP to witness and sense the total lack of 'professionalism', in my opinion, that was on display. To me, playing professional football is a lifestyle that a relative handful of people are lucky enough to achieve. The players are looked after health-wise. From what I have seen, they train in the mornings and go home in the afternoons and then, they have to apply their professional skills in a competitive 'work-place' for a matter of a few hours a week.

Of course there is mundaneness in the life of an average professional footballer, as there is in everybody's, but real work pressure is having to travel several hours a day to and from the office by public transport, working in a crappy environment for eight hours under consistent stress and then attempting to relieve that stress at the weekends by watching a bunch of well-paid 'professionals' put in a collectively abysmal shift at the 'office'.

PD can come out with all the excuses he likes.

I am getting pretty pi**ed off with it, now.

While displaced overseas, i'm not likely to argue with what you and the ever dwindling number of regular attendees witness each and every week. I do though, call upon an ever dwindling memory from the ups and downs of many a previous false dawn and the odd bizarre overachievement that fortunately saw us mix it with the best.

Regardless, at last count, there were 92 league clubs in the various enities that now make up English professional Football. I think it's fair to say that for the vast majority......the average of the last five years league placings represents where a team truly (currently) belongs. Not necessarilly where a team belongs by tradition or by 'size' of club or by history.....but where current performance, current stature, current collective ability determines. Honestly, Latics are where they belong. Tranmere are over achieving in the way that we all hoped we might. Sheffield United are under achieving on a scale probably ten times worse then we are. Stevenage and Crawley are over achieving (they are relatively new entities at this level and carry the 'surprise' factor). Frankly, i'm always a little surprised at how much 'over expectation' there is at Latics.