LANZAC - Latics Australia & New Zealand Appreciation Club

G' Day!

I left Oldham for New Zealand in July 2011 to start a new life with my missus & kids.

So far so good but the one thing I do miss is watching Latics, I would have loved to have seen how badly we played against Bury.

As I type this I am sat at work wearing the new home shirt (Friday dress down day) much to the bewilderment of the Rugby loving lot I work with.

I started watching Latics as a kid in the 70's when my Dad & my Grandad used to take me and my brother.

My first hero was Alan Groves, Simon Stainrod and Andy Ritchie being the others.

I have watched through thick & thin (mainly thin) and so it felt like I had a part of me ripped out when I left.

Along with Paul Dickov MK Mongs at home was my last appearance, thankfully I have happier memories than that game to look back on.

The t'internet makes it easier to find out what is going on especially OWTB & the Chron, not so much the OS (whats that all about?).

Its difficult trying to see goal highlights on websites such as the BBC or Sky Sports as we cannot always view them here so any help there would be appreciated,

if some kind person could put them on YouTube or on OWTB somewhere after each game?

I was wondering how many other Latics fans there are exiled down under in Australia or New Zealand?

With that in mind and whilst playing around with PaintShop I decided to form LANZAC - Latics Australia & New Zealand Appreciation Club (catchy eh?)

Maybe if there are enough of us we could make it more official? or be a sub branch of OASIS or something?

If anyone has any ideas let us know, that would be Awesome! as they say here.

You're a long way from home brother. I am sure you're not alone though. I know Tony Wood is in Australia right now and he does post on here from time to time. So there's a start for you. Also every saturday or night game as the case maybe ( well most providing the facility is running) you can go into the chat room on here, you'll get running commentary of the match from member's who are also in there.

Hey mate,

You are certainly not alone. I came here in February 2009 (I'm now 33) and have been here since. In fact, I take the blame for our ongoing problems, as on the day I left we were playing Leeds in the pink kit and knocking on the door of the play-offs. Then our form nosedived, then Shez got sacked, then David Penney and...well, you know the rest.

I agree with your comments re: the fishal website. to be honest, I barely check it now. I log straight on here to see what people are talking about.

I came home for three weeks last month and saw the Scunthorpe and Coventry games. It was nice to be back at BP again but both games (the Coventry match in particular) were just spectacularly awful. I miss going to the matches a lot but I always have memories of the Sheffield Wednesday match, beating Man U etc.

More people have heard of Oldham Athletic out here than I thought would have, which is quite nice. I find it a bit bizarre that a couple of people have said things like "Oh, but you must go for a Premier League team as well." Erm, no! I don't think following a team through thick and thin is burnt into their DNA like ours.

One thing I definitely miss is the whole match day experience. I still get the urge at 1.30pm every Saturday afternoon to pull on my jacket and Oldham scarf and head off to catch the 409. I miss going to the matches, or else plonking down in front of Soccer Saturday or taking a walk with GMR on the headphones Again, I think that's something that's lacking here - the whole routine and build up to matches (definitely in New South Wales - maybe it's a bit more fanatical In Victoria with the AFL).

Anyway mate, I think LANZAC sounds like a champion idea - count me in!

Continuing with the Latics theme, I see our ex-loanee Fabio Ferreira has been playing for Adelaide United in the A-League this season. I see Harry Kewell has pitched up here and looks like he might be getting a game with Perth Glory. And how about the boy Del Piero? Finally these Aussies are realising what the beautiful game really is.

Edited by perfectOzblue

Great idea.

I visited NZ last Christmas for a month, travelled round a bit and saw some of the sights (stunningly beautiful country) but I missed the Liverpool cup game! I remember being sat in McDonalds (Nelson I think - only place I could get wifi), 9am Saturday morning getting the text updates on BBC's website.

I went mental when Simmo scored - lots of shouting "COME ON!!" and some other incomprehensible noises. Got a few funny looks from the hungover locals buying their breakfast!

I never made it to Hamilton but would love to back there so its on my list of places to visit. I'm semi-seriously considering trying to get out there longer term but Latics is playing a bigger part in my decision making than it probably should. You'd think I'd be more bothered about being 11,000 miles away from my family but I've currently got that down as both a pro and a con!!

Subscribing to Latics Player is an ok idea but staying up until 5am on Sunday morning to listen to a game might not be your idea of a good time!

Edited by bossrocks

If you do join us exiles (some more than others) in the OWTB Matchday Chat (link at top of all OWTB pages) you will most likely meet another potential LANZAC member, BlueinAus. Most of us in the matchday chat are listening and reacting to the Latics Player commentary, some of the more "famous" chat regulars even get the odd mention, so you will kept well informed on all the action as it happens or lack of it.

Edited by laticsrblue

You're a long way from home brother. I am sure you're not alone though. I know Tony Wood is in Australia right now and he does post on here from time to time. So there's a start for you. Also every saturday or night game as the case maybe ( well most providing the facility is running) you can go into the chat room on here, you'll get running commentary of the match from member's who are also in there.

Yep, i'm here (cheers Lags)....count me in. Never thought about the matchday chatroom.....might give it a go later!

Matchday chat is a bugger for me to do now the time difference is 11 hours to sunny old Oldham, but I do try every Saturday/Sunday. It would be even harder for you guys in NZ.

About once a year we get a match shown on Setanta Australia, and ESPN are showing the FA Cup, so the boys have to keep progressing in that comp <!-- Start of dream --> and hopefully we will get televised when we beat the red scum in the semi this time! Win the final, and we're in Europe next season. Easy, so easy. I did it in Fifa 13 - without Baxter, so I think that more than qualifies me to have a go when PD moves on.<!-- End of dream -->

I would be willing to be a member of LANZAC, as long as the initiation is not too bad! :censored: :censored: :grin:

I don't know exactly what we can do as a group, but........ count me in!

I have already pinched the logo to put on my computer at work. (that will get a few comments). Unfortunately I have not seen the Latics play live since the 85/86 season (even then I did not live in Oldham). Being in Melbourne OWTB and Latics player are my only link to to club.

Saturdays in our winter time, kick off is midnight so I listen to LP and check the chat room. When we change to summer time getting up at 2am is too much for me (only a fair weather supporter?), but because Kettering was the FA cup, I made a special effort.

Evening games in our summertime mean I have to get up early to listen to the first half, then shoot off to work. Last season I could listen to the 2nd half at work, but the new IT maggots have stopped that. Listening to an evening match in NZ would be difficult as KO would be 9.45am local time.

I would join LANZAC, but I wonder what we could do. A Barbie at 2am listening to LP blasting out in the back garden may not be ideal.

Awesome! By my reckoning that's 7 of us so far? I'm not sure how we could make this work either? Maybe a Facebook page to start with? Dont ask me how you do that though I'm a techno phobe.

I know there are other Latics fans in NZ (well another one) there are quite a few ex players too who might sign up....Dougie Hodgson, Les Pogliacombover, Chris Killen, Neil Kilkenny plus all 3 Latics Aussie keepers, maybe we could sponsor one of the Aussie keepers' gloves or something? Anyway it's good to know that we are not alone, even if we just show that our support is there in spirit then that can only be a good thing.

We are 12 hours in front here so I didn't get up at 3am to listen to yesterday's game. It's easier for midweek games as its early morning then. I managed to watch the Liverpool game last season on Setanta on the Internet, I was still jumping round the room when they equalised, Doh!

Right that's me done for now, work in the morning so it's goodnight from me!

I am neither in Melbourne, or Sydney....... but somehwere in between. (Albury to be precise)

Ohhhhh "The Deck"....live music venue out the back of an Irish bar just off Dean St......also managed to get a pint of Tetley's on draft at "The Bended Elbow". Like Albury a lot.....not so keen on Wodonga though.

I usually spend a couple of months or so of the season in Christchurch. This year it may add up to 5 months. It is not continuous though so usually I am at least partially on UK Time and so I can get up and listen to Latics Player. I have been told I have to go back to Christchurch as they were winning whilst I was there and now thy are losing. If it is my fault then rest easy as after Christmas I will only be in England for 1 month till the end of the season. Watching goals on Latics Player is the only way to keep in touch,