There's only one Paul Dickov

Deserves credit when he's doing it right, sure there'd be a thread or two saying he was doing things wrong if we'd lost. Neck was on the line pre-Hartlepool and we've posted four wins from five.

Spot on jss.

The whole reason for the post was a bit of a pisstake really.

We could go on a 10 match winning run and then lose and you can guarantee there would be at least 7 or 8 threads started about "why we should get rid" and "enough is enough".........

I have to hold my hand up 5 or 6 games ago, I started to wonder if I had got it wrong.

Let's hope now for a strong second half of the season!

Dissatisfaction has its place. The four wins from five has in my view proved the point that most of the 'moaners' were making. The team was better than their results and a change of tactics was needed. We have seen that change - without it we would not be winning and we would be suicidal.

Spot on jss.

The whole reason for the post was a bit of a pisstake really.

We could go on a 10 match winning run and then lose and you can guarantee there would be at least 7 or 8 threads started about "why we should get rid" and "enough is enough".........

I have to hold my hand up 5 or 6 games ago, I started to wonder if I had got it wrong.

Let's hope now for a strong second half of the season!

I share the hope and the optimism.

But we've beaten Hartlepool and Shrewsbury ugly. They're not very good.

We've beaten Colchester in freefall. And Donaster reserves.

I'll take 4 wins in 5 like that all the time. I'll take the astute[/] bleedin' obvious tactical change 20 minutes into the Doncaster game.

It goes some way to convincing me that the belief we have a decent set of players is accurate. It reinforces my belief that Dickov works hard and can motivate.

It will take more to convince me that the manager is able to make successful and timely tactical decisions game after game.

But I'm enjoying it at the moment!

Edited by opinions4u

Credit too him, he's FINALLY made a few tactical changes and it looks to have started to pay off, but lets not get too ahead of ourselves

as has been said, we won ugly against hartlepool and shrewsbury who are two poor teams, colchester aren't great albeit it the performance sounded good and doncaster after the first 20 again sounded like a great performance.

The players we have are good enough to push this team higher and I don't think its exactly wrong that people "moaned" about the situation when we were losing with dire performances when our squad was capable of so much more. I was certainly one of those who just didn't know if Dickov had it in him too turn it round. credit too him, he's made changes, its going the right way and I hold my hands up, well done mr dickov.

BUT he needs too keep it going, keep the players playing how they are and have a really good run over Christmas before he proves himself completely. I think our next loss will be a big factor, more the response too it. If we go on another losing/winless skid then, too me, he's not improved too much. if he manages to turn it round sharpish and stop us sliding down the league, again, ill hold my hands up

Yes we beat hartlepool and shrewsbury ugly and colchester in freefall, doncaster reserves? - nah dont agree they only had a couple of players missing - lets give credit where its due.... Last season we lost a bunch of home games to ' poor' teams like orient and others i cant remember...at least we have won these games this time! Usually colchester away is a defeat regardless of form- we look to be finally growing a pair.......:)

That Doncaster comment really annoyed me. Why would you discredit that fantastic performance?

It wasn't a Doncaster reserve team. They had a few players out. 3 players out doesn't make it a crap side.

Their defence remained the same for both game, the BEST defence in the league, and we scored 3 goals against them.

The BEST away performing team in the league and we beat them at home.

Give them the credit they deserve.

That Doncaster comment really annoyed me. Why would you discredit that fantastic performance?

It wasn't a Doncaster reserve team. They had a few players out. 3 players out doesn't make it a crap side.

Fair enough, perhaps it was a bit throwaway.

Their defence remained the same for both game, the BEST defence in the league, and we scored 3 goals against them.

The BEST away performing team in the league and we beat them at home.

Give them the credit they deserve.

You will find more than enough positive comments about that performance from me on these pages.

I was simply trying to articulate why our manager doesn't become the Messiah for a decent three weeks.

I'll take 4 wins in 5 like that all the time. I'll take the astute[/] bleedin' obvious tactical change 20 minutes into the Doncaster game.

It goes some way to convincing me that the belief we have a decent set of players is accurate. It reinforces my belief that Dickov works hard and can motivate.

It will take more to convince me that the manager is able to make successful and timely tactical decisions game after game.

He has annoyed the feck out of me sometimes this season, he makes silly tactical errors.

He is still learning though.

Even the most experienced managers get it wrong sometimes.

We need more fire power because when Derbyshire goes back, we will fall short again.

I certainly dont think Dickov is the finished article by any stretch chaps.

I am certainly not trying to put him on a huge pedestal.

I just get a little pissed off that there are 4 or 5 times more threads when we lose than when we get a great away result like yesterday.

Unfortunately it seems like its a sign of the times on OWTB these days?

Normally agree with you O4U, but if that was Donny reservs, then it was our reserves too, we had just as many out as they did.

Ling way to go Messiah status, but the gun was at the head and we have had some good performances since.

It gives hope that he can motivate when needed. He's just got t do it for longer as I agree , 3 or 4 swallows do not make a summer.

Edited by singe

I just get a little pissed off that there are 4 or 5 times more threads when we lose than when we get a great away result like yesterday.

its much easier too criticize than praise someone and i think quite a few of those are "reactionary" from straight after a game, but he does deserve credit for how he's redeemed what could have been a very bad situation

While not Dickov's number one fan, I was first to post in appreciation of yesterday's win. It's easier to moan than praise and four wins in five is worthy of praise.

But we were here last year. Beating fourth division sides and thrashing a poor Chesterfield twelve months ago - decent FA Cup draw too. The scalps in this run aren't much better (accepting the arguments made about my Doncaster comment). Dickov and February aren't friends when it comes to football management. It will be tough again if certain players aren't still here.

I'm also a believer that a great motivator can outperform a great tactician. If Dickov is to succeed as a manager he needs to be consistently good with his motivation of players - because his "feel good" spin is a likely strength.

Where we are now is a start. I'd have been less patient than Corney but there is an opportunity to build on the pitch by using players to their strengths. Ugly wins followed by some pretty convincing performances is a good place to be. The remaining games in December provide a real challenge to step it up further.

Edited by opinions4u

Before message boards, it was the pub. There was always more noise and talk in the pub after a defeat than there was after a win.

There's usually more to debate / moan / discuss after a defeat too......

That said, we also have more than our fair share of moaning depressive types on here; who just seem to like it when we lose, so they can bash the manager and players

Edited by slystallone

While not Dickov's number one fan, I was first to post in appreciation of yesterday's win.

Not having a go at you or anyone else who vents their anger / dissappointment AND show their appreciation when its deserved.

There are several :censored: stirrers and thread starters on this board, who dont post on here when we win!

They only come on here to spout doom and gloom.

People taking pride in doing it whenever we have lost against sides in the top 6.

Dissatisfaction has its place. The four wins from five has in my view proved the point that most of the 'moaners' were making. The team was better than their results and a change of tactics was needed. We have seen that change - without it we would not be winning and we would be suicidal.

Good comment - also it's not just about a tactical change - there has been a change in attitude from the team - more confident in their approach and we all know that wins breed confidence.