Time for Corney to intervene?

There's no knives out, the purpose of the thread is to debate the fact whether Dickov is getting the right support and effective input from his colleagues and staff round him or would he benefit from an older head alongside him. I and others think he would. Others don't.....

-

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of the problems. Our record against the top 10.

Tranmere: Loss (h)

Brentford: Loss (a)

Sheff Utd: Draw (a)

Doncaster: Loss (a)

MK Dons: Loss (a)

Stevenage: Loss (h)

Swindon: Loss (h)

Notts County: Draw (h)

Bournemouth: Loss (a)

Crawley: Draw (a)

Maybe the players go into the matches with this mindset. Oh, they're in the top 10 so we're expected to lose, win against the lower teams and we'll be fine.

That's not good enough. 3 points from 30 is not good enough. That's why "the knives are out" and that's why Simon Corney would do a good job looking at this forum to see that the :censored: that is being produced in a lot of matches will drive more fans away.

Loosing to teams in the top 10 away from home is perfectly acceptable to me. What we have to do is turn most of those away defeats into home wins and pick up a few more points away from home from the home draw/defeats. Do that and this conversation is going to look stupid in a few months (unless we change the manager in the meantime).

It's actually 0 points from 30 if you substitute Sheff Utd, Notts County and Crawley for Coventry, Bury and Carlisle. Good point, Dickov out!

4 wins in 6 is what it actually is. There's no point in giving a manager time to turn things around if he starts winning games and then after a defeat the record before he starts turning it around is dredged up. That means the only way 'the end is nigh' stuff won't be spouted is after we've gone on a huge winning streak.

We evidently got done yesterday, but we can't win them all. You either give the manager time to turn things around and look how he's performed since that time was given or you just get rid. He's been given time by the chairman so his record should be looked at since that time was given. It's ridiculous to get the knives out when we lose a game following a good run in which the ship has been steadied and we've progressed in the Cup (notably by beating one of those top sides listed in the above post).

Maybe we could show some heart and ambition.

So you don't agree that picking up 3 from 30 points against the top 10 tells us that there is a defeatist mindset within the team?

We've seen it enough times. We think it's going to get better and another run of losses.

I think that an experienced assistant or whatever position you want to call it would be very beneficial to Dickov if we're to keep him. I want it to work out hence the reason this thread discusses giving a solution or support , we've given him 2 and a half years and we're stagnating and we need a change. Be it Dickov out or an advisor in to aid him.

At the end of the day if we stay up Dickov has done a great job FACT!

We have no money no fans and a three sided stadium and need some perspective.

That said we are crying out for fresh ideas with our squad and I dont think Dickov has that.

Sir Alex couldn't have got a win yesterday with the starting line up and the effort they put in, you can do all the work you want during the week but if the players dont show up on the pitch when its needed what do you do?

Corney cant afford to sack Dickov he's the headline act in our poxy show ATM and the only reason anyone comes here on loan or otherwise sad but true.

At the end of the day if we stay up Dickov has done a great job FACT!

We have no money no fans and a three sided stadium and need some perspective.

That said we are crying out for fresh ideas with our squad and I dont think Dickov has that.

Sir Alex couldn't have got a win yesterday with the starting line up and the effort they put in, you can do all the work you want during the week but if the players dont show up on the pitch when its needed what do you do?

Corney cant afford to sack Dickov he's the headline act in our poxy show ATM and the only reason anyone comes here on loan or otherwise sad but true.

#lostinterestinboundarypark

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40302&st=20#entry583196

Edited by Pine Villains

Guest Scratch2000uk

It's the dross inbetween the rare runs of good form that's the problem, it by far outweighs any good that's achieved. Hence the low crowds, Morale, and maybe the reason why some fans appear as being fickle. :shifty:

Looking at Barnsley's recent awful form Keith Hill might be looking for a new job soon. Wouldn't mind him here. I reckon he'd take the job, too. Hope they lose a few more and we might be able to get him.

So you would be happy to have a manager whose present team is in great danger of relegation with a -14 goal difference and18 pts from 22 games.

Stick with PD and no we don't need a DoF (a job invented for those who don't have the balls to sack the manger)

can someone please explain Butlers role at the club?

I was under the impression he came here as a fitness coach having had great success with the Aussie Olympic swimming team (is that right?)

if that is true then great - although some players dont seem fit enough to me, so begs the question...........

why is he involved in substitutes, giving said subs instructions about who to mark, where to run and genearlly what to do?

how much say does he have in general and what part does he play overall?

My mate made a good point that once a player steps over the line for this team at any age then he has had more experience as a proffesional footballer than this lad but he is telling them how to play the game while Dickov has a go at the 4th official and Taggert sits on his arse having a brew. (i appreciate exceptions to the rule but this lad does not come across like a Wenger or Mouriniho lol)

How has he gone from a fitness coach who has never worked at a football club to a fitness coach, to a football coach in a little over 18 months.

there may be a reasonable explaination to it all but I have not heard it so can anyone shed any light?

All his previous experience has come from short-term placements. Fantastic looking CV but nothing long-term...

So you would be happy to have a manager whose present team is in great danger of relegation with a -14 goal difference and18 pts from 22 games.

Stick with PD and no we don't need a DoF (a job invented for those who don't have the balls to sack the manger)

Well when that team is in a good quality league and they probably have a tiny budget compared to the other teams and they are still competing he's not doing a bad job.

And his record in League 2 and League 1 is very good with Rochdale.

Most managers out of work have been sacked for a reason. It's about choosing the best fit for the club.

It's actually 0 points from 30 if you substitute Sheff Utd, Notts County and Crawley for Coventry, Bury and Carlisle. Good point, Dickov out!

4 wins in 6 is what it actually is. There's no point in giving a manager time to turn things around if he starts winning games and then after a defeat the record before he starts turning it around is dredged up. That means the only way 'the end is nigh' stuff won't be spouted is after we've gone on a huge winning streak.

We evidently got done yesterday, but we can't win them all. You either give the manager time to turn things around and look how he's performed since that time was given or you just get rid. He's been given time by the chairman so his record should be looked at since that time was given. It's ridiculous to get the knives out when we lose a game following a good run in which the ship has been steadied and we've progressed in the Cup (notably by beating one of those top sides listed in the above post).

But we didn't "get done" really. Yep, they were OK - but we were God-awful, and made them have as easy an away win as they'll have all season.

For me, it's just the head-scratching crazy inconsistency of PD's team. He can get them playing as they did Vs Doncaster and then in the very next home game, let them serve up that utter dross. I mean, i'm not being a drama queen here - that was as bad a performance as anything I saw under Penney, Talbort, Wadsworth.....

He's said it before that the players don't listen to him - well, if that's the case, Corney needs to remove him asap - how can you have a manager who his team choose to ignore and not listen to?

I failed to understand the tactics yesterday - not for the 1st time either.

Where was the tempo? Where was the passing? Where was the high press?

.......and when it was clear the players were not playing in any semblance of order - where was the management? Where was the on the side of the pitch coaching? Instructions Change of shape / formations and tactics?

......and don't get me started on the sub of Wes - the only player who had turned up to play.

I want him to succeed. I just have reached the conclusion a good few weeks ago, that he just doesn't have the ability to do it. We're flogging a dead horse here. Corney does need to make a change.

Edited by slystallone

But we didn't "get done" really. Yep, they were OK - but we were God-awful, and made them have as easy an away win as they'll have all season.

......and don't get me started on the sub of Wes - the only player who had turned up to play.

If we had played like we did against Donny or Preston we'd have won that game. Although Dickov was totally out-managed yesterday some conference sides would have beaten us yesterday we were awful.

As for Wes I've heard it from my source that the management are worried about his disciplinary problems and his silly bookings for pulling players back which isn't going to do his bad shoulder any good.

Yes- Keith Hill got a fairly average Rochdale side to 8th on a poorer budget than Dickov who could only take us to 16th/17th in the same season. Barnsley are not going to have a massive budget for that league and Hill did quite well to keep them in it last season. Plus I doubt he is going to be on the same sort of wages as some others who get bandied about on here as Dickov's potential replacements.

It's all a bit moot anyway as Dickov has done enough over the last few months to keep his job.

This board makes me laugh. 4 wins in 5 and barely a couple of threads after the Colchester game other than to quibble over who scored the second goal. Lose to a side who will likely be in the play offs and the knives are out again.

I hope to heaven SC doesn't read what's spouted on here, or at least has a laugh at the fickleness of folk if he does and then gets back to the rest of his weekend.

Did u go? It is more the manner of the defeat. The manner being all to familiar.

Edited by welshgaz

PD needs help, he needs input instead he gets Gerry 'i'm 'avin a brew' Taggart and

The same man who has made our defence the joint 8th best in the league? Clearly what Taggart does on the training pitch does have some influence on whats happens on match day

We have over 1000 junior season ticket holders and still only scrape 3000 homies and that is after a decent run of performances. We have won only 3 games from 11 at home and average 1 goal per game........what chance do we have of retaining this support long term?

Corney has a decision to make pretty soon as it is blatantly obvious we will not prosper under the current regime. Dickov works hard, comes accross as a nice guy, and is pretty good with the media, however, this is the only reason he has managed to stay in charge for as long as he has.

Our home crowds will drop even further after the New Year especially if we go out of the cup and sub 3000 attendances will become the norm........something has to happen and quickly as this simply cannot continue.

Two guys next to me left at half time and by all accounts The Clayton Green was littered with supporters at 4.40am, whilst I don't think leaving that early is the action of a true fan they pay their money and are free to do as they please.

19 wins in 57 home games is an horrendous statistic.......do we carry on as we are or do we sack the manager?

Guest Scratch2000uk

How many years does he have to manage for to be "crap" rather than "inexperienced"?

I dare say some will say he deserves the "Crap" tag. I kinda like Dickov, and rather than firing him, and if he got help with someone with more experience to help with the tactical side of things, it may well save him, Taggart seems to do his job defensively, but during games, at times tends to look like he's on the beach supping sangria's!. although, fully clothed.

sly, I usually respect your opinions but not on this one.

Wes was :censored:ing awful yesterday, pure awful mate.

He is nowhere near the player we had last year and I would even go as far as to say that performance yesterday was Sunday league.

Granted there were a fair few others, Furman, Montano, Baxter and Croft but Wes was as bad as anyone!

All four midfielders were dire yesterday, as was JYM - Baxter had a serious off day too…. was the Christmas do this week? 'Cos it looked like they were still on it between 3pm and 4.57pm yesterday….

Totally agree Prozac, we said the same yesterday.

Derbyshire worked hard but didn't look like doing anything.

As much as I don't think he has the talent, Smith also worked hard as always aswell.

sly, I usually respect your opinions but not on this

Snip snip

It's fair enough Lancy; it's all about opinions and it'd be pretty dull if we all had the same.

Maybe i should explain what i mean. I'm not saying Wes was having a stormer. Far from it in fact. BUT - he was one of the few; heck - the only one at that stage who looked like giving a :censored:. After he misplaced a pass; he went to win it back. He didnt :censored: out of tackles or indiviudual battles.

How he went off & Furman stayed on i'll never know.

Again, credit where it's due - Matt Smith came on and put himself about a bit. Something i've levelled at him he doesnt do enough. At least he went into tackles with purpose.

Too many on sat had God-awful attitudes - and actively shat out of individual battles they should have been competing with.

IMO, Wes wasn't one of those.

Are we going to do the "Dickov out" dance every time we lose? It wasn't very good on Saturday, only a couple of players turned up and we deservedly lost the game. The difference between us and Swindon wasn't much, same as when we've played any of the better sides in this league but you can not get a result when so many of our team have the proverbial bad day at the office.

When we win it is just a stay of execution for the bloke and then when we lose the knives are out again. It it is to be the case I hope he does go so that we can all get stuck in to the new manager, the ineffectual cretin that he will be. We're stuck in some perverse routine of self-flagellation, not enjoying the wins and only enjoying the defeats so we can go through another blood letting.

When we win the other side are crap or have half their team out or it is due to a special player doing something out of the ordinary or luck. When we lose it is all the manager's fault, the other team were still crap but we were so much worse. It is boringly predictable now.

Are we going to do the "Dickov out" dance every time we lose? It wasn't very good on Saturday, only a couple of players turned up and we deservedly lost the game. The difference between us and Swindon wasn't much, same as when we've played any of the better sides in this league but you can not get a result when so many of our team have the proverbial bad day at the office.

When we win it is just a stay of execution for the bloke and then when we lose the knives are out again. It it is to be the case I hope he does go so that we can all get stuck in to the new manager, the ineffectual cretin that he will be. We're stuck in some perverse routine of self-flagellation, not enjoying the wins and only enjoying the defeats so we can go through another blood letting.

When we win the other side are crap or have half their team out or it is due to a special player doing something out of the ordinary or luck. When we lose it is all the manager's fault, the other team were still crap but we were so much worse. It is boringly predictable now.

Pretty much said the same last week.

It's a sad state of affairs when there are 5 times more threads started after a poor loss than for a good win.

Having said that, I think its sometimes the manner of defeat.

We were totally toothless on Saturday and looked like they had the Christmas party the night before.

I don't think PD is a bad manager, he just can't get the players to do what he tells them to do..................... he therefore needs to do something about it before he becomes another jobless manager.