Time for Corney to intervene?

Supposedly Corney and PD have a good working relationship, but yesterday yet again highlighted the short-comings within the backroom staff and coaches at BP. At 2-0 down there should have been an immediate substitution and a slight change of system. Swindon were controlling the game at a canter and it was so infuriating that the team in 8th and on a bad run were made to look so effective by our shrinking violets in midfield that refused to get stuck in or cross the halfway line.

PD needs help, he needs input instead he gets Gerry 'i'm 'avin a brew' Taggart and Paul 'FM2010' Butler alongside him. Time to intervene Simon, tell him to bin the two clowns he trusts so much and fund an experienced Director of Football, Brian Horton would be my number one choice, Peter Reid or even beg Joe to come back in some capacity. This tactical ineptness cannot continue. If you want to stand by Dickov so steadfastly, make him accept the support he so desperately needs.

And just for the record, the moment that 2nd went in either one of the CM's would have been hauled off. Jose moved back into CM and Simpson to play off Derbyshire. The Smith substitution when it came simply encouraged more of the hoof we had played all afternoon and allowed Swindon to get the cigars out. Not once did we cause them any sort of drama. Even more laughable was him bringing Simpson on to play left-wing. We might as well have stuck him in goal right away, instead of waiting for Alex's unfortunate injury.

And I am so pissed off that 2 1/2 years on Plan A, B, C, D and feckin' E is to stick M'Voto up front…….

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Corney starts telling him to sack Taggart and Butler, then he should be sacking Dickov and just take the job himself. It's Dickov who is in charge of that side of things not Corney. It's up to Dickov who to bring in as an assistant.

I always find it odd when people blame the assistants. Surely if they are crap then it's a the manager's fault for employing them?

If Corney starts telling him to sack Taggart and Butler, then he should be sacking Dickov and just take the job himself. It's Dickov who is in charge of that side of things not Corney. It's up to Dickov who to bring in as an assistant.

I always find it odd when people blame the assistants. Surely if they are crap then it's a the manager's fault for employing them?

Whatever Butler and Taggart do on the training pitch, there is simply no pro-activity and transfer of that influence onto the touchline during Match-Day that's why I believe they are part of the problem. In an ideal world Dickov would have been sacked after the Coventry defeat, he clung on and got results when he really needed them. Same as over the last couple of weeks. I think if we are to be stuck with him then let's have a coach or two with tactical nouse and proper experience of influencing a game with tactical ability.

Correct Prozac.

We've been crying out for a "supervisor" to Dickov for ages. Somebody who can teach him how to manage whilst in the job and when he cocks up can have a word so that the same error isn't repeated next time, like usually happens

Unfortunately, he's too aloof for that which means he'll try to stay alone for as long as possible which leads to the problem for me that when I do start to sway towards the idea of him being sacked we go on a decent run and show some potential and it changes.

I don't care who comes in as long as they give him a bit of support and advice, the mistakes are blatantly obvious so it doesn't even take a genius to do the job.

Yes, it is Dickov's fault for employing them........Taggart is his mate and he probably feels a sense of loyalty towards him, he ain't going to sack him unless it comes from above. Dickov should have been the No 2 or got a more experienced number two to help him in his first management role.

It was embarrasing watching the two of them on the touchline yesterday. The players just don't seem to know what their roles are yet according to Dickov this is the best squad we have had since his arrival......so why, in a deteriorating division are we no higher up the league?

The loan players are probably the reason we are not in the bottom 4, if they don't return in the new year we will struggle to stay up......without the goals from Baxter and Derbyshire we would be well adrift at the bottom.

We are going backwards under this regime and unless there is, at the very least, a change in the backroom staff, I can see only one outcome.

I'm not saying Dickov doesn't need help or wouldn't benefit, but for me as soon as Corney starts meddling then he should just sack dickov. At that point he is then in charge in a footballing capacity. What happens if that doesn't work? Who gets the sack then? Dickov? Horton? Corney?

I'm not saying Dickov doesn't need help or wouldn't benefit, but for me as soon as Corney starts meddling then he should just sack dickov. At that point he is then in charge in a footballing capacity. What happens if that doesn't work? Who gets the sack then? Dickov? Horton? Corney?

This

If your going to employ a director of football, to tell the manager what team team to pick, tactics to use and players to sign whats the point of the manager as the director of football is doing the managers job.

If Corney feels the need to intervene it should be to change the management team not to pay money to bring someone in to tell them what to do which is what they should know already.

What an utter nonsense thread. Lets get a Director of Football to do the managers job? Why not just sack the manager ?

Also does this DoF only work after we lose? I don't see anyone calling for a DoF when we win.

I'm not pro Dickov at all but if corney is to intervene it should be to get rid of the management team not add to it!

What an utter nonsense thread. Lets get a Director of Football to do the managers job? Why not just sack the manager ?

It's not a nonsense to consider. Dickov does show some promise at times and perhaps an experienced voice alongside could build effectively on the promise shown.

But, ultimately, we're a small club with limited funds and introducing another tier of management really is OTT. So if he needs support like that then he should pack his bags and go and coach at a bigger club.

if corney is to intervene it should be to get rid of the management team not add to it!

A logical outcome.

Edited by opinions4u

We have over 1000 junior season ticket holders and still only scrape 3000 homies and that is after a decent run of performances. We have won only 3 games from 11 at home and average 1 goal per game........what chance do we have of retaining this support long term?

Corney has a decision to make pretty soon as it is blatantly obvious we will not prosper under the current regime. Dickov works hard, comes accross as a nice guy, and is pretty good with the media, however, this is the only reason he has managed to stay in charge for as long as he has.

Our home crowds will drop even further after the New Year especially if we go out of the cup and sub 3000 attendances will become the norm........something has to happen and quickly as this simply cannot continue.

Two guys next to me left at half time and by all accounts The Clayton Green was littered with supporters at 4.40am, whilst I don't think leaving that early is the action of a true fan they pay their money and are free to do as they please.

19 wins in 57 home games is an horrendous statistic.......do we carry on as we are or do we sack the manager?

We have over 1000 junior season ticket holders and still only scrape 3000 homies and that is after a decent run of performances. We have won only 3 games from 11 at home and average 1 goal per game........what chance do we have of retaining this support long term?

Corney has a decision to make pretty soon as it is blatantly obvious we will not prosper under the current regime. Dickov works hard, comes accross as a nice guy, and is pretty good with the media, however, this is the only reason he has managed to stay in charge for as long as he has.

Our home crowds will drop even further after the New Year especially if we go out of the cup and sub 3000 attendances will become the norm........something has to happen and quickly as this simply cannot continue.

Two guys next to me left at half time and by all accounts The Clayton Green was littered with supporters at 4.40am, whilst I don't think leaving that early is the action of a true fan they pay their money and are free to do as they please.

19 wins in 57 home games is an horrendous statistic.......do we carry on as we are or do we sack the manager?

Agree, you've helped to convince me.

Billy Davies, Steve Cotterill potential candidates for the job if Corney does the right thing..... :behead:

Looking at Barnsley's recent awful form Keith Hill might be looking for a new job soon. Wouldn't mind him here. I reckon he'd take the job, too. Hope they lose a few more and we might be able to get him.

can someone please explain Butlers role at the club?

I was under the impression he came here as a fitness coach having had great success with the Aussie Olympic swimming team (is that right?)

if that is true then great - although some players dont seem fit enough to me, so begs the question...........

why is he involved in substitutes, giving said subs instructions about who to mark, where to run and genearlly what to do?

how much say does he have in general and what part does he play overall?

My mate made a good point that once a player steps over the line for this team at any age then he has had more experience as a proffesional footballer than this lad but he is telling them how to play the game while Dickov has a go at the 4th official and Taggert sits on his arse having a brew. (i appreciate exceptions to the rule but this lad does not come across like a Wenger or Mouriniho lol)

How has he gone from a fitness coach who has never worked at a football club to a fitness coach, to a football coach in a little over 18 months.

there may be a reasonable explaination to it all but I have not heard it so can anyone shed any light?

Edited by palmer1

This board makes me laugh. 4 wins in 5 and barely a couple of threads after the Colchester game other than to quibble over who scored the second goal. Lose to a side who will likely be in the play offs and the knives are out again.

I hope to heaven SC doesn't read what's spouted on here, or at least has a laugh at the fickleness of folk if he does and then gets back to the rest of his weekend.

its not the fact that we lost, we are always going to lose games

its the way we played, the lack of heart, the lack of effort, the lack of tactics, the lack of football being played, the lack of managment....the way we lost.....without any clue and without any fight and its not the first time unfortuantly

This board makes me laugh. 4 wins in 5 and barely a couple of threads after the Colchester game other than to quibble over who scored the second goal. Lose to a side who will likely be in the play offs and the knives are out again.

I hope to heaven SC doesn't read what's spouted on here, or at least has a laugh at the fickleness of folk if he does and then gets back to the rest of his weekend.

This is one of the problems. Our record against the top 10.

Tranmere: Loss

Brentford: Loss

Sheff Utd: Draw

Doncaster: Loss

MK Dons: Loss

Stevenage: Loss

Swindon: Loss

Notts County: Draw

Bournemouth: Loss

Crawley: Draw

Maybe the players go into the matches with this mindset. Oh, they're in the top 10 so we're expected to lose, win against the lower teams and we'll be fine.

That's not good enough. 3 points from 30 is not good enough. That's why "the knives are out" and that's why Simon Corney would do a good job looking at this forum to see that the :censored: that is being produced in a lot of matches will drive more fans away.

Butler's doing his badges thus involved more in coaching we're his guinea pigs - personally I'd like to shove his clipboard where the sun don't shine and simply allow the sub to enter the fray. Everyone knows your average footballer is as thick as pig :censored: so why baffle them with page after page of diagrams?

-

For me, I simply don't understand how a side can play as badly at home as Latics did yesterday - after two first class performances.

I get how the opposition can outplay us. I get how their manager can be a superior tactician. I get how you can play well and lose to a fluke. I get how you can put a shift in and your opponents can better it.

I don't get the :censored:e served up yesterday.

Edited by opinions4u

It's actually 0 points from 30 if you substitute Sheff Utd, Notts County and Crawley for Coventry, Bury and Carlisle. Good point, Dickov out!

4 wins in 6 is what it actually is. There's no point in giving a manager time to turn things around if he starts winning games and then after a defeat the record before he starts turning it around is dredged up. That means the only way 'the end is nigh' stuff won't be spouted is after we've gone on a huge winning streak.

We evidently got done yesterday, but we can't win them all. You either give the manager time to turn things around and look how he's performed since that time was given or you just get rid. He's been given time by the chairman so his record should be looked at since that time was given. It's ridiculous to get the knives out when we lose a game following a good run in which the ship has been steadied and we've progressed in the Cup (notably by beating one of those top sides listed in the above post).