Latics player again

Hi all, Gordon here....the reason there was no commentary on the ISDN line was because the visitors line at the Ricoh is on the front row of the stand, the area was submerged in water and obviously water and electrics do not go together. The Coventry team were situated at the back the off the stand in a nice warm area. We asked to be moved and received the usual responce. We were trying to solve the problem from 1. 45 onwards. What listeners do not realise is the host club are not at all co-operative to visitors, they never are. They want you to switch on to there commentary...think about it...do ITV co-operate with the BBC on football?

I returned home wet and cold with shoes ruined at 8pm...then had to go and put player film up finishing at 10.15pm...we are as pissed off as you are when this happens...sometimes I wish I had not bothered, you never see good posts on here just negatives and I have used 90 minutes of my phone package for this month just to receive abuse ...thanks everyone.

yours truly pissed off .

Gordon.

I think every one is a little down due to the lack of success on the pitch and are inclined to moan about everything (even Robbie Simpson for saying Latics won't win the FA Cup!!!). There a lot of fans who listen Gordon, don't take too much notice of an ill informed few.

Gordon :censored: happens sorry about your bad day but people do pay for LP and receive a very inferior service compared to similar sized clubs. What we get whether you like it or not is below the minimum in terms of highlights etc

And it's not just away games the home commentary can be just as unreliable

Some of us even pay for this poor product despite attending most of the games.

Yours a pissed off subscriber and equally unappreciated fan.

Edited by oafcprozac

The commentary by Gordon and Roy is excellent and much appreciated, but subscribers have been let down many times by the poor service in the past.

If some home clubs are providing inferior facilities for away commentary teams they should be reported to the Football League.

Coventry have no excuses as it's a newish stadium.

If reporting such clubs doesn't work ban their board and staff from freebie meals and seats in the directors box at Boundary Park.

Gordan sounded devastated at the end of the game, it's probably as well most of us aren't live on air when that sort of thing happens! I think on this occasion our guys deserve praise for making what they could out of a difficult situation not of their making.

As usual, the people who go the extra mile get the grief and little appreciation or praise.

Fans sometimes overestimate the size/ resources of our club and underestimate the shear effort and commitment exacted by the few...

Thank you Gordon and Roy for your efforts and I hope Gordon has some allowances left for the rest of the month on your mobile contract!

Gordon did sound devastated and emotional at the end of the game yesterday. I felt for him.

Edited by dazlatic

Gordon, Roy and Mike, IMHO, do a cracking job on LP. Let's not forget that none of them are professional commentators. Gordon has worked his nuts off for the club for, I think, over 40 years and Roy for about the same length of time. They both have other duties at BP, but get stuck into the commentaries as real fans. Mike doesn't even get paid, he does it voluntarily. I wonder how many of us would like to be perched on the very back row of the main stand, barely enough space to wield a pencil and main stand pundits surrounding you.

As for away games, I'm pretty sure that Gordy and Roy drive themselves there and back in the day. They can't nip in the pub for a couple of hours beforehand, either. Think about it. Somewhere like Colchester on a wet Tuesday night and you've got to drive home after the host club, as Gordy says, don't treat you that well. That's not a dig at Colchester, just an example of distance.

A fair bit of work was done at BP to improve the equipment for the commentary service this season and most problems stem, I believe, not from the club, but Premium TV. If I'm wrong with that, I apologise. I've not had a problem with it since.

As for yesterday, I really felt for Gordon and Roy, working in atrocious conditions that were well described during commentary. I think Gordon was as close to tears at the end as he's ever been. Remember also, that the Coventry commentary was coming from the BBC, and they're not the only club to have that facility. I guess that makes a fair bit of difference

For me, LP is a Godsend, given that I can only get to BP 2 or 3 times a season and can only average a dozen or so away games. I won't miss the commentaries for anything, but I'd sure as hell miss them if they weren't there. OK, maybe the highlights could be longer, but none of us know what may be involved to produce that.

As far as I'm concerned, LP is worth every penny to me and Gordy, Roy and Mike will always be a part of my Saturday afternoons and Tuesday nights when I can't get to see my beloved Latics. Thanks guys.

Edited by Bristolatic