Do we back Corney?

200 members have voted

1. 1. Do we Back Corney

• Yes
    • No

The opening poster got lambasted a bit on here, but whilst Corney I think is a decent person, he isn't beyond questioning. I'm very worried about the overall constant stripping of the club, the year-on-year budget slashing which has seen us each season fighting to stay up. This season is panning out in a similar style to the one where we got relegated in 1997.

Corney repeatedly states that the club is up for sale. But is it really up for sale? Has he not stuck a fairly high price tag on it just to stop any investment? is it all lip service to keep us fans happy? Because as a fan, I'm certainly not happy at the procession of bad decisions they've taken with managers. I'm not happy with the downright unprofessional way the club appears to other fans, to outsiders and to us fans who want to look at a reasonably well-written and well-edited website. I'm not happy at budgets being slashed when we're not investing in other areas.

I'm not anti-Corney. But I'm not 100% sure about the promise of 'after he's gone we'll have a legacy'. I suspect after he's gone we'll have a spanking new stand, a falling-to-bits 2 stands and club at the arse end of the 4th division fighting to stay in the league. I don't think I'd be happy with that.

Maybe the way I worded it wasnt the clearest, BUT THATS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED TO SAY. finally someone who can see past the smoke and mirrors.

you dont have to believe everything that comes out of the club. as much as everyone slates the club for how bad it is at pr and playing the media, i feel that corney is actually the complete opposite and has used it to pull the wool over everyones eyes.

There will always be buyers for football clubs, Its how attractive you make the proposition.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone against a man who saved the club, pumped massive amounts of his own money into the club and stuck around when his mates left us is a massive bellend.

All very well and good but that is living off past glories. its what happens in the now that really matters.

very rare i post on here but ive had my doubts about Corney for some time

ive thought this for sometime, but when your in the minority you tend to keep your gob shut. but the situation is getting beyond a joke.

to be honest i actually thought the votes for no would be much smaller. to see that a quarter of the fanbase (admittedly only on owtb but its a fair indication) dont back him is something in itsself.

Edited by Atric

24 votes on OWTB does not constitute a fair representation of the wider fanbase's views.

Of course we're right to question but a better starting point for discussion would be looking at his decisions such as knocking the Lookers down, sacking Moore, appointing PD, signing Baxter etc. Lets focus on the facts and not speculation and conjecture. We really have no idea what his true intentions are regarding the future of the club.

He's sunk enough money into OAFC that I'm prepared to cut him some slack.

To the people who are questioning him, what could he do to win you over? Would you like a playing budget increase (to improve our league chances)? A cut in season ticket prices (to improve attendances)? These would require his personal financing. Would you be prepared to do that in his position?

I'm not anti-Corney. But I'm not 100% sure about the promise of 'after he's gone we'll have a legacy'. I suspect after he's gone we'll have a spanking new stand, a falling-to-bits 2 stands and club at the arse end of the 4th division fighting to stay in the league. I don't think I'd be happy with that.

With no land left to build/improve for new owners/investors. I'm not really sure how attractive we'll be after they've left. I do think it's going to end badly in the long term. Not anti myself but o think the escape plot is well under way.

78% happy to back the status quo Dear God! 10 years of zero progress of which the last 5 has seen us go further and further backwards - the club is being downsized and is in effect already in administration by running to the bare minimum at every turn. How much worse could it get without Corney?

I'm willing to take to chance! I used to blame the stay aways now I think they are the ones with sense. It's like watching an old pet on its last legs at the moment even 2003/04 was more fun - we had hope then. Under the present regime there's none. And before someone mentions the stand - it remains nothing more than a pretty picture. Ill believe when I see it.

Nothing will convince me that Corney is nothing but an administrator for Blitz. As for him putting his own money in? Bollocks!

24 votes on OWTB does not constitute a fair representation of the wider fanbase's views.

Of course we're right to question but a better starting point for discussion would be looking at his decisions such as knocking the Lookers down, sacking Moore, appointing PD, signing Baxter etc. Lets focus on the facts and not speculation and conjecture. We really have no idea what his true intentions are regarding the future of the club.

He's sunk enough money into OAFC that I'm prepared to cut him some slack.

To the people who are questioning him, what could he do to win you over? Would you like a playing budget increase (to improve our league chances)? A cut in season ticket prices (to improve attendances)? These would require his personal financing. Would you be prepared to do that in his position?

For me Too many things are wrong with the club at present.

Derelict ground - Lack of investment. not only has the lookers gone but the main stand gutters are falling off, the chaddy roof is an eyesore, and the whole ground generally looks like a throw back to 1960

Budget cuts year on year meaning even if we survive this year, its highly likely we will fall through the trap door at some point in the near future.

Dwindling crowds - coupled with the point above - leaves us in a vicious circle, which left unchecked is a serious threat to the future of the football club

A complete lack of action in the respect of the poor management of this team. It has been clear for 4 or 5 games Dickov has to go, but we are not seeing the bullet.

Its all very well and good saying we have no money, look at the economical climate etc etc, i wouldnt mind that if He and the club actually looked like they gave a :censored: about the situation. We have heard countless times we need the new stand to break even, etc. but what happens when the new stand comes? what are they gunna blame our downward spiral on then? Im sorry but anyone who believes the new stand is our saviour is living in dreamland.

You have to speculate to accumulate, and it seems to me all corney is interested in is penny pinching.

If we had gone out of the cup at the first attempt both this year and last year, what would have happened? the money earned certainly hasnt gone on improving the club, playing staff or management. its easy to say we wouldnt have signed baxter, but im sorry, signing him is a no brainer. we will make a profit on that deal even if he is on ten grand a week. im not buying that one.

Im not asking for miracles. all im asking for is a decent wage budget, so anything outside our first 11 isnt an untried kid from the (failing) youth system. Im asking for a bit of pride in our surroundings, instead of letting the ground go to wrack and ruin. Im asking for action regarding the dickov/coaching staff situation.

You ask would i be prepared to put my hand in my pocket in the same situation. well personally, If it was my business, I wouldn't be letting it simply evaporate in the way Oldham Athletic is currently doing. I would either invest money to make it successful again, Seeking investors to help my business become successful again, or be advertising the hell out of it to cut my losses and run. I certainly wouldnt be sitting on my hands waiting for miracles.

Lets get a bit of pride back around our club

I used to blame the stay aways now I think they are the ones with sense.

The ones with sense who will be there on Sunday, with the rest of us, who have no sense, who have had to put up with all the insipid performances (or listen to them).

I'm glad I'm not one of the ones with sense. The only sense I would have is guilt!

In terms of ground - no

In terms of crowd - no

Management - no

Team - I'd argue no

Fan consensus/togetherness - No

League Position - No

Match day Experience - no

Cost of product - No

Hope for the future - No

Club communication - No

Marketing of the club -no

Commercial Dept - No

Media Dept - No

How can you not back Corney ? I personally feel sorry for the bloke and I take my hat off to him for sticking around. He could of quite easily of jumped ship years ago with his pals but dident and in the process saved the club from liquidation, He has pumped money into this club season after season he has backed countless managers by bringing in THEIR players not his, He has been unlucky with his last two appointments of managers but hopefully the next one will be the right one. ! Nobody will invest in this club so thank god for Simon Corney no Simon Corney = No Latics so he gets my upmost respect as he should from every fan.

Do i back the man who saved our club from going out of existence and in the 9 years he's been here tried his hardest to secure a new stadium and to pump money into the playing side, even when circumstances outside of football have gone against us.

Yes I do.

Anyone who doesn't is a moron.

In terms of ground - no - but has been badly affected by circumstance - world economic slump and the incompetant council - seemingly getting somewhere now...

In terms of crowd - no - he can't control whether people want to watch the games - insentives tried and seemingly failed, but there has been honest attempts

Management - no - Arguably right on this one Prozac, has chosen some bad managers but that seems to happen to OAFC - look at Penneys record pre-Latics

Team - I'd argue no - Pumped money into the side every year he has been here and has not had the return he is due - just look at Baxter signing and previous years

Fan consensus/togetherness - No - Can he control this? i'm unsure

League Position - No - We've not gone down have we? arguably, this is a good thing - we have some sense of stability at least

Match day Experience - no - Attempts have been made at this - however ALOT more needs to be done

Cost of product - No - We need to charge what we do to survive, simple as, if we charged considerably less then we'd have been in the :censored: long ago

Hope for the future - No - Glimmers of hope exist, the new stand will bring in relative income which will contribute towards the re-building of the club

Club communication - No - Again i agree with you Prozac, communication with fans is relatively poor at times - although his LP videos are a definite improvement

Marketing of the club -no - has improved since Broady and Jenny were brought onto the scene, more could be done

Commercial Dept - No - Agree

Media Dept - No - Shockingly bad - partly due to the :censored: new website and then more to do with whoever does it - was better with Ackey on board to be brutally honest

I think you're very harsh on Corney in my opinion Prozac - there are shortcomings and failings in his running of the club and these are plain to see and i think Simon himself probably recognises these areas - hence why we have seen different changes in the past few seasons.

Fair Play to Simon Corney for sticking round at a club where most would have jumped ship!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/21188916

"Town have been in talks with several interested parties and they hope to conclude a deal by the end of January."

Potential investors are out there.

And Oldham Athletic isn't an attractive enough business to invest in.

the land surrounding the ground is, but the football club isn't.

Guest Scratch2000uk

I do wonder if an investor were to come to Oldham, Would the three amigo fans, the non Bellends and Morons of OWTB , Would they be saying, thanks and close the door behind you?

I don't think anyone hasn't appreciated what they did, or questioned their initial intentions, What's happened since makes some of us wonder what their intentions are for the future, looking at the way the club is being run both on and off the pitch isn't inspiring at all.

Edited by Scratch2000uk

I do wonder if an investor were to come to Oldham, Would the three amigo fans, the non Bellends and Morons of OWTB , Would they be saying, thanks and close the door behind you?

I don't think anyone hasn't appreciated what they did, or questioned their initial intentions, What's happened since makes some of us wonder what their intentions are for the future, looking at the way the club is being run both on and off the pitch isn't inspiring at all.

Darlington.

Portsmouth.

Stockport.

What do they all have in common? They've all been into administration and 2 of them have dropped into non-league, whilst the other is fighting for it's football league status if it can't get out of administration by August.

Let's all be a little bit thankful.. we're struggling on, but we're still alive and kicking.