Careful what we wish for

Firstly I would love to see TP given an opportunity to manage OAFC, however we all need to be very very careful what we wish for....

Question - Has anyone had a bigger impact on this football club than TP in the past 10 years??

In my opinion no....He not only has brought through good players for our first team but more importantly brought players through that have been sold for huge profits many not ever pulling on the first team jersey. Can we afford to risk losing the supply of good quality kids into the first team squad or kids that we sell...??

If we didnt have those profitable sales we would probably be a league 2 club, the FA Cup run like this year does not come around year in year out.

Thoughts?

I agree with the OP but my worry is that someone like PD didnt really use his youth which makes the post of looking after the youth pretty much not worth while

I have critised Tarky before but id rather have a Oldham player and a product of our youth playing than a premership kid with the same or even less exposure to 1st team football

Its a breath of fresh air having Tarky, and Winchester both starting in a league game Tuesday which we won

I disagree. The notion that TP as first team manager wouldn't have an active role in the way the youth set-up was working is well wide of the mark, in my opinion. I reckon TP would put people he trusted in place to manage the youth day-to-day but would take a much more active role in working with those people than other managers might. It's clear TP wouldn't allow the youth set up to slide under his management.

The question is, does he want the job? If he does, give it to him.

I anticipate the longer we pick up results the more inclined he will enjoy it and the greater chance of him taking the job.

I accept he may be wary at first but if he can be persuaded then he should be given the job. The first team is the priority and if he can get them winning then provided the youths aren't left to rot and ruin, and as Stevie points out I'm sure he'd take a hands on approach, then he should be given every encouragement to take the job. If he still doesn't want it then fine but that should not be for want of the club trying.

I disagree. The notion that TP as first team manager wouldn't have an active role in the way the youth set-up was working is well wide of the mark, in my opinion. I reckon TP would put people he trusted in place to manage the youth day-to-day but would take a much more active role in working with those people than other managers might. It's clear TP wouldn't allow the youth set up to slide under his management.

The question is, does he want the job? If he does, give it to him.

I agree. His experience within the youth set-up would provide the perfect bridge between the two camps and any youngsters making the step into the first team squad would, at the very least, be treated and nurtured as they should be and not subjected to the ham-fisted approach of previous managers. I should imagine that he would stay involved with the youth team at some level and that would also help with the transition for any up and coming players.

The club has to respect his wishes, though, and not try to coerce him into a role he does not wish to play.

Firstly I would love to see TP given an opportunity to manage OAFC, however we all need to be very very careful what we wish for....

Question - Has anyone had a bigger impact on this football club than TP in the past 10 years??

In my opinion no....He not only has brought through good players for our first team but more importantly brought players through that have been sold for huge profits many not ever pulling on the first team jersey. Can we afford to risk losing the supply of good quality kids into the first team squad or kids that we sell...??

If we didnt have those profitable sales we would probably be a league 2 club, the FA Cup run like this year does not come around year in year out.

Thoughts?

you say it has made huge sums for the club, but can someone more in the know than me add up just how much money these transfers of youth and former youth players have brought in?

taking the last ten years as a rough outline, how much have we made, compared to the £2million (£200,000 per year, estimated by the club) it costs us to run the youth set up over the same period.

not a dig at TP or the club, im just curious

you say it has made huge sums for the club, but can someone more in the know than me add up just how much money these transfers of youth and former youth players have brought in?

taking the last ten years as a rough outline, how much have we made, compared to the £2million (£200,000 per year, estimated by the club) it costs us to run the youth set up over the same period.

not a dig at TP or the club, im just curious

I think Eardley, Spencer, Eaves and Richards would give you north of £1million, with Richards' sell on clause having the potential to dwarf the cost of running the youth setup, if a transfer ever happens. Trotman's also worth mentioning as TP spotted him and brought him into our youth team from Burnley - he went for £500k.

The other benefit of course is the supply of players to the first team.

I could see him having a beefed up role overseeing coaching and development throughout the various teams. Just don' call it Director of Football! He wouldn't pose a threat to a new first team manager as he plainly doesn't fancy that job much. I recall keeping Shez involved was a condition of Ronnie coming on board?

He doesn't want the job anyway and keeps saying so.

In his post-match interview on TalkSport, Stan Collymore asked TP if he was offered the job, would he take it? TP said "I'd have to think long and hard about it. I'm also responsible for the EPPP (Elite Player Performance Programme) as well. Developing the youth at this Club is as important as the manager's job. We've sold so many young players over the years gone by. That's how we've survived.I think that's my strength, coaching and developing, and if that's my strength, maybe that's what I should continue to do."