That Was Hopeless

The Beeb says we had 31% possesion ..... we weren't playing Barcelona.

This was just like the rubbish that finally ended Dickov's reign.

All Sheff U had to do was the basics , yet again our centre half & keeper failed miserably to do the same.

I saw none of the enthusiasm , hard work & desire of the recent FA Cup games , we once again were the softest of soft touches.

Sky has as having 56% possession.

Edited by LaticsPete

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sky has as having 56% possession.

Which just goes to show, unless you are at the game you are relying on some number cruncher pushing a button, these people are being paid to create facts but some just turn up for the job and take the money, it happens in all walks of life. Personally i would say 50/50. (Have I got the job?)

I would play wes over furman any day.

and why o why didnt tp lay 2 up front.

there is absolutly no point playing smith up front on his own. It just doesnt work.

apart from his mistake tarki played well. great sliding challenge. brown croft and mvoto also good.

simpson should never put the shirt on again.

why isnt taylor being given a chance. he could have come on with 25 mins left to give us more pace up front and to play of smith

Guest Scratch2000uk

I would play wes over furman any day.

and why o why didnt tp lay 2 up front.

there is absolutly no point playing smith up front on his own. It just doesnt work.

apart from his mistake tarki played well. great sliding challenge. brown croft and mvoto also good.

simpson should never put the shirt on again.

why isnt taylor being given a chance. he could have come on with 25 mins left to give us more pace up front and to play of smith

Philliskirk has just carried on where Dickov left off. The rare upbeat performances, then crashing back down to earth with a bump. Deja vu anyone?

Which aspect don't you agree with?

All of it, when has Wes started or been involved in an attack? I'm not slating him cause his job is to help defensively but when chasing a game and change of tactic it had to be Wes coming off cause Furman, believe it or not offers us more going forward.

Seems like he is turning into the new boo boy. Watch the Everton game back and you will see a different side to his play and I thought he played really well.

Philliskirk has just carried on where Dickov left off. The rare upbeat performances, then crashing back down to earth with a bump. Deja vu anyone?

Who can blame TP for not wanting the job full time, We have just been beaten by the biggest team in our division, we made a couple of mistakes, a bit of luck and a decent ref we could have took a point. Doom and gloom merchants must be rubbing their hands.

All of it, when has Wes started or been involved in an attack? I'm not slating him cause his job is to help defensively but when chasing a game and change of tactic it had to be Wes coming off cause Furman, believe it or not offers us more going forward.

Seems like he is turning into the new boo boy. Watch the Everton game back and you will see a different side to his play and I thought he played really well.

I've not got a massive downer with Furman, just think we should expect more from him given he clearly has aspirations of playing at a higher level.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Who can blame TP for not wanting the job full time, We have just been beaten by the biggest team in our division, we made a couple of mistakes, a bit of luck and a decent ref we could have took a point. Doom and gloom merchants must be rubbing their hands.

Doom and :censored:ing gloom we are in the :censored: in a relegation spot and you expect me to come out with the we had some bad luck excuse? I'm sick of the :censored:ing bad luck stories/excuses, we are :censored:, and i'm not going to tell it any other way.

Philliskirk doesn't want the job because he knows he'll be :censored:ing sacked, eventually, nothing to do with doom and gloomers or as i like to call them realists.

I've not got a massive downer with Furman, just think we should expect more from him given he clearly has aspirations of playing at a higher level.

We probably should expect more from him, but his performances for SA and in the cup games and few league games shows he has it, i feel others are the ones who need to step up along with him.

After 3 wins over the teams as out of form as us , Pompey MK Dons & Stevenage , we played a team in form.

Who didn't think at half time that it was only a matter of time before our back 5 fell apart in front of a Rocky Road End with 2,000 plus away fans in ?

This time it was our hapless centre half & keeper who gave the presents .

Their keeper was a spectator until the late efforts of Smith.

Sheff U the latest of many to win league games here in a canter.

If any recent converts turned up today , I doubt they will be back.

The ref was poor , but not as poor as our team.

Never in my decades of watching can I recall as infuriating a squad as this lot.

it wasn't hopeless. Football is a competitive game and no one has a divine right to win. Today we were on the wrong end of a scrappy game against a team that push the boundaries of acceptable professionalism and some,dire refereeing decisions.

Rare upbeat performances? You mean 3 straight league wins & the Everton matches. We weren't even poor yesterday in the context that I've seen many games this season where we've not even worked the opposition keeper.

Have a opinion, yes, but try and base it around actual events.

It wasn't hopeless.

It was a solid performance against the "biggest" side in the league until Tarky had one of his moments.

I thought we could have been more creative and used more width, but we still created as many chances as they did.

Disappointed, but I wouldn't be over-critical of the players after that. They lost putting a shift in.

Agree that they worked hard but it was still disappointing for a number of reasons:

Both Tarkowski and M'Voto had tough opponents and both looked shaky - the Tarkowski mistake was just one of the many occasions when we were caught in possession by far quicker sharper opponents

Cisak was to blame for the second goal

Simpson just seems off the pace

Both Furman and Wesolowski sat too deep

Baxter was closed down quickly yet we persisted in trying to play the ball through him when width was needed

Smith was isolated and handled well by the centre backs

Grounds corners were poor

Strange tactics from TP

Having said the above... Sheffield Utd were a niggling and cynical side who were obviously under instructions to go down at every opportunity - Danny Wilson tactic? If so - shame on you pal

And as for the referee... worst in a long time at BP

And I know the players put a shift in but it needed far more from key players today and we did not get it - Only Croft and Brown emerged with any real credit in my opinion.

Tranmere next - let's hope Barnard is back and that TP sticks to what was working so well.

I don't think I've seen a bigger overreaction to a defeat. It's a game that could have gone either way but probably deserved a 0-0. We competed well but a couple of rebounds / penalty shouts went begging at one end and a couple of howlers at the other went against us.

Personally I'd have probably made different subs and would probably have started with Obita. But on the whole the biggest disappointment was losing a game we didn't really deserve to, not the overall performance.

Unless we are winning 3 or 4-0 every week. People will be disappointed. Why don't we give tony a chance. He's only been manager two minutes and managed to win 3 league games on the bounce.

It's not anti Philliskirk. He doesn't want the job or the chance. We've done alright recently but we're still in more of a relegation scrap than I've cared to admit in truth.

We were :censored: yesterday. Hope we just get the right man in asap and let TP get back to what he does best.

Edited by longtimeblue

Agree that they worked hard but it was still disappointing for a number of reasons:

Both Tarkowski and M'Voto had tough opponents and both looked shaky - the Tarkowski mistake was just one of the many occasions when we were caught in possession by far quicker sharper opponents

Cisak was to blame for the second goal

Simpson just seems off the pace

Both Furman and Wesolowski sat too deep

Baxter was closed down quickly yet we persisted in trying to play the ball through him when width was needed

Smith was isolated and handled well by the centre backs

Grounds corners were poor

Strange tactics from TP

Having said the above... Sheffield Utd were a niggling and cynical side who were obviously under instructions to go down at every opportunity - Danny Wilson tactic? If so - shame on you pal

And as for the referee... worst in a long time at BP

And I know the players put a shift in but it needed far more from key players today and we did not get it - Only Croft and Brown emerged with any real credit in my opinion.

Tranmere next - let's hope Barnard is back and that TP sticks to what was working so well.

Let's hope Bouzanis is back. They are probably fairly level on keeping ability (not too sure after today) but Cisak can't distribute the ball. It was back to all the players gathering in a clump for his kick outs.

I don't think I've seen a bigger overreaction to a defeat. It's a game that could have gone either way but probably deserved a 0-0. We competed well but a couple of rebounds / penalty shouts went begging at one end and a couple of howlers at the other went against us.

Personally I'd have probably made different subs and would probably have started with Obita. But on the whole the biggest disappointment was losing a game we didn't really deserve to, not the overall performance.

The problem is some people on here want a hanging after a defeat, lets just pick on the next unfortunate.

TP doesn't want the job and its gone quiet on the recruitment front.

So, who do you reckon will fill the hotseat?

Dowie isn't in the frame so that leaves Sammy Lee or Phil Brown unless we recruit from within other than TP.

Doesn't bode well as both Lee and Brown don't fill me with excitement and I doubt either will move the club forward. I think we'll just about scrape a place outside relegation positions but next season really concerns me. Yes the cup run put us briefly back on the map of awareness and interest but I seriously doubt well entice some of those extra fans if we don't keep the squad and we recruit a boring manager.

I seriously doubt well entice some of those extra fans if we don't keep the squad

The squad, as it stands, isn't enticing them anyway. Bringing in the likes of Derbyshire and Baxter didn't entice anybody either.

While I buy the line that the players have been misused tactically and have, as a result, under delivered I see little exciting about keeping the whole lot together.

Agreed

Guest Scratch2000uk

Rare upbeat performances? You mean 3 straight league wins & the Everton matches. We weren't even poor yesterday in the context that I've seen many games this season where we've not even worked the opposition keeper.

Have a opinion, yes, but try and base it around actual events.

I have the opinion that overall we are :censored:e. I base my opinion on the fact that we are in a relegation spot and that we haven't played that well the last two games. and that the games we won, were against under performing teams in the league. I may have phrased what i said wrongly " rare upbeat performances" that was a Dickov trait, and nothing to do with Philiskirk, fair enough. but i can see a similar pattern creeping back into the team.

Don't get the anti Phil Brown stuff, 99/100 of managers will have failures on the CV if they have been around a while, not many will have successes or will have managed for lengthy periods in the top two divisions.

Can we really expect someone with a better pedigree to be interested in us? If he's affordable and wants to come then get him in.