If Corney goes...

I'd love to think it's possible but do we really have the backing of the fans before we go talking "fan-owned club"? St. Pauli have a big financial backing (as well as having them most ST holders in the Bundesliga) and FC United have a large, very dedicated following through thick and thin.

I'm all for it. Speaking of which...

meet_the_owners_2-medium.jpg?1352733365

I'd love to think it's possible but do we really have the backing of the fans before we go talking "fan-owned club"? St. Pauli have a big financial backing (as well as having them most ST holders in the Bundesliga) and FC United have a large, very dedicated following through thick and thin.

I'm all for it. Speaking of which...

meet_the_owners_2-medium.jpg?1352733365

The issue in the UK at least, is if you had a small number of large financial backers, they would still be pulling the strings.

FCUM have a big rep but are non-league so not sure why we would want to compare ourselves with them too much.

I dont think it will work myself for many reasons.

1. Fans are skint some struggling as it is, look at Port Vale where took over by there fans and ended up in administration, Brentford where run by there trust but sold there shares. Also you got to remember with AFC Wimbledon and FC United, Exeter to an extent they where took over while in non league. Having bigger fanbases than most non league club and fact costs, wages are alot cheaper ment extra money.

2. As seen on this board there is far to much in fighting and negativity among are supporters personally if we where to elect a board i could see fans being elected because they maybe seen as being popular person rather than having anything constructive to offer. Far to much infighting among fans and little groups.

3. Heavans forbid but if the club did go under and reform if the current trust or current persons invovled in the running of the club would fans really want them onboard a new team? Worse scenario is look at Scarborough went under and now have two clubs.

As far as I know Exeter are fairly well run and have their finances in order but last year they proved the problem with the ownership model. In 10/11 they finished 8th in League One playing some very good football but they did it with some talented players they signed from their non-league days who had stuck around because they fitted in to the manager's system very well. At the end of the year however those players and a few of the other better players (e.g. Cureton) left for teams at the same level or above for better money. Being fan owned they HAVE to be financially prudent to survive which meant that the replacements that could fit into their budget were nowhere near good enough for League One, hence their relegation. They might be doing well this year but I know a lot of fans are concerned that if they go up that they won't be able to compete again due to their budget and probably having to rebuild a decent but aging bulk of the squad.

Although Stockport's demise was more dramatic the situation was similar for them. The only way they could compete at this level was by relying on talented players that they had got on the cheap and had brought them up to the division, as soon as those players leave it is very difficult to rebuild a team like these two examples, especially without the money. Barring something exceptional the fan-owned club's ceiling is League One and even then it's unlikely to be sustainable.

So while our club might be in the hands of people with the best of intentions, we'll have to settle for even lower league football than now without even the hope of progression. I doubt the club would survive long if that happened.