Corney and Johnson on BBC Radio Manchester at 6pm

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who can't or aren't listening but want to know what is being said:.....

Corney: "It wasn't a question of whether we get him, it was a question of getting him before somebody else does!"

Lee: I want an athletic, hungry fit team with attacking intentions. I want to whip the crowds up, they seem down at the moment. We need to score 2 or 3 goals per game (mentions unlucky refereeing).

I will register as a player but only for a reserves, I'll only use it as a tool to coach the reserves, I've had some offers as a player.

Corney: I am convinced we'll stay in this division. We've had bad luck but we have the players, staff and the ethos to stay in the league. Next few years me and Lee are going to build something special for the club.

Lee: We need to raise belief of the players, their mentality. Get the fans on side, they haven't enjoyed recent performances, we'll start that tomorrow.

We've got a plan for the future. Recruitment of youngsters and detailed scouting of other players. We need continuations ; 60-70 players over a few years isn't right and not conducive to a developing team. (Knows his stuff about us).

Corney: I've not driven the managers in the past to ensure there's a long term plan. Lee had a plan instantly and it was so refreshing.

Lee: I know I'm a young manager and we're in a predicament but I think we'll stay up. For the record I'm hoping to stay here longer than 2 years (I'm delighted with that contract) and I guarantee I'll have a better team than we have now.

I'm nervous in front of the media but the players looked good and I had a good response from them.

Corney: We'll have a symbiotic relationship. All of my managers will agree with that. Lee knows we have limitations of budget but we can work well, we get along.

Edited by NewBlue

Questioner: Simon, you predicted a few weeks ago that if we went down you won't be at the club, will you if we go down?

Corney's Answer: I live and breathe the club, I still believe we'll make it to the Championship. (Evasive)

Questioner: Baxter's shambles of a penalty. What would your reaction be?

Lee's answer: I was watching and it was annoying (he's scored 2 before). Takes bravery. Made him take 10 penalties and none were allowed to be chipped (good lad!!!)

Questioner: What's your philosophy of football, how do you envisage Latics playing?

Lee's Answer: I've been in squads that win leagues. What they all do is to create more numbers in each position. I want high tempo, entertaining play that will whip the crowd up. I want that bedded down ASAP.

Systems are ways of creating numerical advantages. For me it's about getting our best players in the best areas of the pitch, create mismatches.

Backroom staff issue - Club given me full jurisdiction f budget and staff. TP has been here donkeys years. He's lifeline of the club and he's a big part of the future, bringing players in. It would be ideal to have an experienced coach but priority is good coach for youth players. I have 3 or 4 in mind. Some employed, all varying in age. It's a massive decision and I don't want to rush it.

Some assistants don't want to come to Oldham under a 31 year old manager.

Interviewer: Have you got to prove yourself to older players than yourselves?

Lee: I've got to touch their heart. Tell them that they will progress under me and make them believe in me and they should have the respect.

Questioner: Is it a financial reason for bringing in Lee?

Corney answer: Some candidates would've done it for free. 2 managers, 1 in our division said they'd take the job when we employed Dickov for free. We're paying Lee. He was the best out of 120 candidates.

It irks me as we're investing lots and we are building a £4.8m stand. We don't do things on the cheap. We back managers and get players that are needed. Many experienced managers applied for the job. I've put my neck on the block with this signing but I think it's right and it's not to do things on the cheap.

Lee: My voice has broke, believe it or not!!

Corney: Me and Dowie spoke. We are good friends so speak socially too and it wasn't quite right at the time. He wanted to keep options open at the time.

Questioner: Did your Dad help you to get the job?

Lee: I've gained lots of experience from him. I want to stay away from his networks, I have my own, and I'm proud to have travelled the world to learn a lot and be in the job I am in my own right.

Questioner: Paul Scholes to be assistant?

Corney: Paul's a friend of the club and we get lots of messages of support. Buys ST and doesn't want hospitality and he may be involved in the future but not at the moment.

Lee: Some players love being footballers more than playing football. If we had 11 of him then we'd be more committed.

We don't do things on the cheap. We back managers and get players that are needed. Many experienced managers applied for the job. I've put my neck on the block with this signing but I think it's right and it's not to do things on the cheap.

What? You're :censored:ing joking aren't you?

Website

Chaddy End Roof

Ground that's falling apart

A team chock-full of loanees every season

Six month contracts

Not locking down investments like Smith on longer contracts

Playing budget chopped and slashed season on season

No long-term strategy for the club

Still no stand

Backroom staff placed on gardening leave

Staff reduncies

NO marketing department.

It's all PR bull:censored: at its finest. I completely reserve judgement to see what happens in the summer. Do we actually sign 8-10 players on reasonable contracts, actually build a side that is going to compete? Or do we do as we normally do which is sign 2 or 3, and then go well into pre-season before we start getting players in?

But that "we don't do things on the cheap" comment? :censored: off Simon. Just :censored: off with that crap. YOU'VE BEEN DOING THINGS ON THE CHEAP FOR 4 :censored:ING SEASONS NOW.

Lee: Get agents in Room 101!!!

Corney: Get Richard Scudamore in Room 101 with me!!! hahaha

Questioner: Welcome to Latics, TP said we've had players that can play well in the cup but don't in the league. What will you do to change this?

Lee: Fantastic in training today. Bought into my methodology very quickly. I wondered/despaired how we would get this back afloat. The loss hurt the players and I do genuinely believe that you will see a big change in their attitude. I want to bring out the kid in them that WANTS to play football. A mental shift can make an average player to a worldy. We have some quality players and if we change that mentality we will do well.

Questioner: Have you any players in mind and will the funds be there?

Lee: Yes.

Corney: Money from the cup is available to spend and we will have time for loan moves. Lee made the recommendation for Korey Smith.

Questioner: Will the youth academy be essential to your plans with a small budget?

Lee: Yes. We want to attract young players for the club and for the team. We need a blend of experience. Some dressing room leaders. Oldham will always sell players as the size of the club forces us to but I would love to have a youth team XI.

Questioner: Will our team be radically different in August?

Lee: Depends on results.

Questioner: All the best, you've watched 5 or 6 games will you pick the team Tuesday night?

Lee: Yeah, I've already picked the team. Some will be disappointed but it's important they absorb the comments I made when we had 1-to-1's.

Questioner: What are your thoughts on players using Twitter, ours talk :censored:e?

Lee: It's psychologically important. You can get abuse and you can get too much praise and make you big headed. I'll be monitoring them on Twitter. I want to have a group where players are a collective and make a system where players can lead within and police it themselves.

Corney: Fans have criticised me a lot but I have good instincts but if this was to fail they would hate me for it! "We will get promoted if we go down" With a good manager.

Lee: Clubs nearby are useful because we can get loans. *Tradition speak* Blah blah blah...

Questioner: Good luck, Lee. With us struggling to get the gate receipts before the cup run have you any initiatives to get fans back?

Corney: I would love to do a promotion for the last 4 games but I have to be careful as the ST holders are valuable and I could get a lot of grief. There could be something there if we had some positive feedback. I want to get fans in whatever it takes.