On this rate of inflation we are fine if we sell Baxter

He chats rank BUT he's gotta point, Ince is just as good a player as Zaha, one is valued at £15m the other £6m (And Liverpool offered £4m)

Latics should only entertain high offers for Baxter, in line with what other lower league clubs have done, Powell at Crewe only made what 30+ appearances but went Man U for £3m+.

There's been countless others that have gone for a ridiculously high figure who don't have the talent to match Baxter, what would you say would be a reasonable fee for Baxter?, i'd say £1m+ with add on's, if no one matches it, fine he's still under contract.

Edited by alex_balls

I don't particularly want to entertain the selling of Baxter.

It's vital we keep him next season and hopefully LJ can add quality to the squad to help us to challenge next season. Without Baxter's goals and play this season we wouldn't even be 5 from bottom.

He's the type of player who can have a team built around, letting him go would be starting again from the bottom and I doubt we'd be able to attract a player of his ability to replace him.

I'm sure a fee for him would be towards £1m at the moment but lets try to build a good side next year with Baxter having had a years experience as the focal point and some quality players around him.

That's what I'd prefer.

I presume that the contract he signed in January included a clause that he could leave if a club offers a certain amount. I would guess that the amount is not as high as the figures being banded about here.

I don't know this to be the case but I'd be amazed if it isn't. Before people criticise the club for lack of ambition etc. it clearly made more sense for us to agree a deal whereby he played for us for the rest of the season and then we got say £500k for him rather than he left for nothing in January.

I presume that the contract he signed in January included a clause that he could leave if a club offers a certain amount. I would guess that the amount is not as high as the figures being banded about here.

I don't know this to be the case but I'd be amazed if it isn't. Before people criticise the club for lack of ambition etc. it clearly made more sense for us to agree a deal whereby he played for us for the rest of the season and then we got say £500k for him rather than he left for nothing in January.

Totally agree, getting him to sign on any basis amazed most of us. Whatever else we get out of Jose, be it appearances or a fee, PD and the club did brilliantly.

What he said.

Baxter is a quality player and there is no way he would agree to a 2.5 yr contract without a minimum fee release clause. its obvious if your doing comparisons with others at this level that he is worth 1 mill plus, but:

we havent had him develop at the club from being a kid

we didnt blood him into the first team, he was basically guaranteed football anywhere at this level.

compare that with powell who crewe developed and the fact we will get much less is obvious. id be amazed if its anywhere above, or even approaching £500,000. and unless the club can basically guarentee him a promotion push (highly doubtful) with a team built around him, he wont be here next season.

Call me skeptical..but I believe that if anybody had already given Baxter a seriously good offer, he would have gone.

The thing is, we all know what he is/should be capable of but let's be honest, he hasn't exactly been ripping teams apart and scoring goals for fun..you know, the kind of football that gets a lower-league player in the limelight and courts attention from bigger clubs.

Either he won't be going anywhere or there is already a 'done-deal' in the pipeline and we, the fans, know zippety about it.

Just my opinion.

Baxter is only 21 so we would get a compensation fee for him anyways should his contract be up. I don't think there's any rush to sell him unless we get a stupid offer. I think Jose would like to give it longer here as well, establish himself at a club before moving on.

Baxter is only 21 so we would get a compensation fee for him anyways should his contract be up. I don't think there's any rush to sell him unless we get a stupid offer. I think Jose would like to give it longer here as well, establish himself at a club before moving on.

Provided he stays in the English league, he'll be 23 when his contract expires, so we will get compensation if it isn't a cross-border transfer.

Provided he stays in the English league, he'll be 23 when his contract expires, so we will get compensation if it isn't a cross-border transfer.

Some people from round here an hour away can't understand him.

Imagine him trying to speak with that accent abroad...

As long as we don't get ripped off like we have in the past EG Stephens. If we was a big club at this level we would be asking for 5 million young English like Delph who went for 7 million but we are oldham. We should go for 1 million plus appearance fee.

We could be Real Madrid he still isn't worth £5 million.