Glen 'killer' Belezika

Wasn't Bezzie just playing football on the street a couple of years ago when we gave him a trial in the youths because one of the other youth team players recomended him?

Correct me if I am wrong with the above, if that is the case though he won't have had all the coaching (positional play, basics, etc) that the other lads who have been in youth teams since they were 10/11 may have.

BIRTHPLACE: CAMDEN, LONDON: 24TH DEC, 1994

Glenn Belezika is a teenage defender who was recommended to Latics by former player Djeny Bembo-Leta after the pair used to have kick abouts together in the park in Manchester.

Latics invited Belezika, whose parents originate from the Democratic Republic of Congo, to Boundary Park for trials and he was subsequently offered a pro contract.

Belezika made his first-team debut for Latics as a second-half substitute at Sheffield Wednesday in April 2012 aged just 17.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was not Great as somebody said, Fitz Halls debut against Hudds was great ! for me he was very shaky(as id expect) but the most worrying thing for me was or even is, he doesnt seem to have the correct technique of basic kicking of a football. Was this nerves ? or can somebody who has seen him in reserves tell me is that how he kicks a ball ? As somebody else said its amazing how we all see the game differently as i thought he needed more help and talking form JYM , especially in the first half. You might say JYM is only young but hes played an awful lot of first team games and you would expect has had excellent coaching from Sunderland. To me it looked as if it was only Cliff Byrne talking to him throughout . I think its great that the lad clearly has a great attitude and willingness to learn ,i just dont think he is even nearly ready, that said you could say he kept us all three points in the end. Good luck Glenn i hope you can have a future in the game

He's usually quite precise with his distribution, keeping it simple by passing to the nearest unmarked player.

I think he found the tempo a bit too quick early on and a fear of making a big mistake may have led him to some hurried clearances. Once he found his 'sea legs' in the second half I thought he did well.

I don't think his debut can be compared with Fitz Hall's, Fitz was 4 years older and more experienced football wise.

Edited by BP1960

Was he shaky or just unorthodox?

I too thought shaky at first but then that he might actually be incredibly calm/laid back.

What, exactly, did he do wrong that had Hayter or Madden in with a chance of scoring?

Some of his early attempts to clear the ball was school boy, in fact it looked like he couldn't kick a ball. Fortunately these never resulted in a run on goal. Like I said no way am I going to slate him, but no way am I going to avoid the truth.

He is some way off being ready for first team level. Whilst I'll admit Hayter is a seasoned striker who has bagged against us with experienced centre half's playing, he aint brilliant with long balls played in the air, yet Glenn didn't always get himself in the correct position to win the header against him. I'll listen to what LJ said in his LW interview that the lad has taken a dvd home to study about field positioning and wants to learn.

I think it was a case Lags of him being outfoxed by Hayter, he won't have come across anyone like him before, he's usually quite composed in the reserves and I guess anxiety took over in the early stages.

I agree he's not ready yet, but he has been thrown into the deep end and managed to swim rather than sink in the end.

Edited by BP1960

I think it was a case Lags of him being outfoxed by Hayter, he won't have come anyone like him before, he's usually quite composed in the reserves and I guess anxiety took over in the early stages.

I agree he's not ready yet, but he has been thrown into the deep end and managed to swim rather than sink in the end.

Am sure an element of that came into it to. Also I've no doubt Yeovil would have wanted to 'get at him'.

To say he is our 4th choice centre back and he performed like is an absolute credit to him. People need to realise that he will be nowhere near ready yet, filling in with that was a fantastic performance. With a fully fit squad he wouldn't even be on the bench yet. This was his debut Vs 1 striker who is one of the best in the league at the moment and one who is very experienced and always has a knack of undoing us. His face at the end of the game showed what that meant to him on Tuesday.

People need to stop assessing him like he is a player we have just signed expecting him to be brilliant. He's an 18 year old lad making his debut.

Or we could just dip into the loan market if that makes the doubters happy. Lord Ndiwa Kangana anyone?