Glen 'killer' Belezika

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought he was excellent, let the ball bounce a bit too much but good turn of pace and won plenty in the air - no nonsense and got rid

He was nowhere near excellent, not even close to good!

He was really poor in every aspect in the first half, he did ok in the second and seemed to grow in confidence as the game panned out. He'll be a lot better for the experience but looks a long way from the standard needed at this level.

could tell he was nervous first half, just needed to put his foot through it at times.

second half, Johnson and Byrne will have had a word with him, the more senior players were talking to him and he did well for me. Especially against one of the toughest strike pairings to have a debut against.

Thought he was excellent, let the ball bounce a bit too much but good turn of pace and won plenty in the air - no nonsense and got rid

Wow - excellent?

Hmmm.

Guess i'll file this under 'people see things differently' & just say I thought he was obviously very nervous; and it affected his game. I thought he was really quite poor and I was very worried pretty much everytime the ball went near him.

Hope he improves though; and i put it down to debut nerves.

I didn't really notice him much to be honest, which I'm going to class as a compliment. Few times I thought he should have put his foot through it but he ended up giving us a chance to retain possession.

Wow - excellent?

Hmmm.

Guess i'll file this under 'people see things differently' & just say I thought he was obviously very nervous; and it affected his game. I thought he was really quite poor and I was very worried pretty much everytime the ball went near him.

Hope he improves though; and i put it down to debut nerves.

From what I have seen in the reserves that wasn't his normal performance and it must have been nerves early on.

He looked much better in the second half and have to say two of the leagues top scorers hardly got a look in, particularly Hayter, who was virtually marked out of the game by the close attention of Belezika.

The lad is difficult to get past and has strength and pace on his side, hopefully he will be better for the outing.

He was nowhere near excellent, not even close to good!

He was really poor in every aspect in the first half, he did ok in the second and seemed to grow in confidence as the game panned out. He'll be a lot better for the experience but looks a long way from the standard needed at this level.

Agree with this.

Difficult to criticise the lad as he was clearly nervous and playing against a decent striker but also not right to say it was a great debut. Hopefully he can kick on from here.

I'm very much prepared to give him a chance.....and as i've said, I think debut nerves played a huge part tonight.

But I disagree; I thought for a small 'fox in the box' style striker; Hayter won far too much in the air; and in the tackle against him.

Considering Glenn is alot bigger than him; I was disappointed at that.

I saw the pace; disnt see the power and strength.

I thought his 1st 45mins were actually really; really poor. He settled in better 2nd half - but as debuts go; well - for me, he's got a lot of developing and improving to do quickly as that wasnt up to standard, at all IMO

I don't think we could have expected any more from him last night.

Really young, fourth choice centre-back having only played a few minutes of first-team football before, contributes to a vital win and had the job of marking the striker that always scores against us. He's probably not ready to start games yet, but injuries dictated he had to.

I was impressed. Of course it wasn't a faultless performance - no one should have expected it to be, but thought he looked like he has a lot of potential.

He was shaky, but I'd put this down to nerves. He did seem to settle as the game went on. He seems to have M'Voto's penchant for trying to do a little bit too much when under pressure, but we didn't pay for it so hat's OK for now. I'd be happy to see him play in a couple of our remaining games if the injuries persist.

FFS only Oldham fans would slate a young player on his debut playing against some of league ones top strikers, and we keep a clean sheet can't be bad.

As usual certain people only look at the negatives we got a massive three points last night and all people can do is slate players.

Shame on you.

Edited by Fervid

On the OS today:

Johnson said: "Glenn has only had four weeks to get into my mindset, but deserves his chance because asks me a million questions every day.

"I gave him a DVD about positioning and he hasn’t given it me back because he watches it twice a day.

"I am so pleased for him as well as for the other lads who took him on like a younger brother and looked after him, not that he needed looking after."

As I said last night, I thought he was poor - very shacky and obviously he let the nerves get the better of him which hugely affected his performace. But - This bodes well for him though, seems he's keen to learn; which is a key thing in a young player:

Johnson said: "Glenn has only had four weeks to get into my mindset, but deserves his chance because asks me a million questions every day.

"I gave him a DVD about positioning and he hasn’t given it me back because he watches it twice a day.

"I am so pleased for him as well as for the other lads who took him on like a younger brother and looked after him, not that he needed looking after."

Seems Belezika asks al lot of questions and is wanting to learn, he also hasn't retuned a DVD on positioning that LJ has given him as he's watching it twice a day! That sounds great, it's key for young players that they basically become 'sponges' in training every day, learning as much as they can to develop. It's good to hear that Belezika seems to be one of the keen one's - but on last night's showing, he's still very, very raw and does indeed have a lot of developing to do to get up to League One standard sharpish IMO.

Edited by slystallone

FFS only Oldham fans would slate a young player on his debut playing against some of league ones top strikers, and we keep a clean sheet can't be bad.

As usual certain people only look at the negatives we got a massive three points last night and all people can do is slate players.

Shame on you.

I don't think anybody is slating him at all. The original poster asked how he did and all I see is people giving their varying but honest opinions. Isn't that what this place is for?

For what it's worth I thought he did ok bearing in mind his age, lack of experience, and that he was chucked in at the deep end in such a vital game.

Wasn't Bezzie just playing football on the street a couple of years ago when we gave him a trial in the youths because one of the other youth team players recomended him?

Correct me if I am wrong with the above, if that is the case though he won't have had all the coaching (positional play, basics, etc) that the other lads who have been in youth teams since they were 10/11 may have.

Wasn't Bezzie just playing football on the street a couple of years ago when we gave him a trial in the youths because one of the other youth team players recomended him?

Correct me if I am wrong with the above, if that is the case though he won't have had all the coaching (positional play, basics, etc) that the other lads who have been in youth teams since they were 10/11 may have.

Rings a bell - Djeny Bembo-Lita I think was the player to recommend him IIRC

It was not Great as somebody said, Fitz Halls debut against Hudds was great ! for me he was very shaky(as id expect) but the most worrying thing for me was or even is, he doesnt seem to have the correct technique of basic kicking of a football. Was this nerves ? or can somebody who has seen him in reserves tell me is that how he kicks a ball ? As somebody else said its amazing how we all see the game differently as i thought he needed more help and talking form JYM , especially in the first half. You might say JYM is only young but hes played an awful lot of first team games and you would expect has had excellent coaching from Sunderland. To me it looked as if it was only Cliff Byrne talking to him throughout . I think its great that the lad clearly has a great attitude and willingness to learn ,i just dont think he is even nearly ready, that said you could say he kept us all three points in the end. Good luck Glenn i hope you can have a future in the game

Shame on you.

Am certainly not about to slate the young lad but other's may want to know how he did, here it is. As said by many,shaky to say the less and needs time for last nights level. Needs must last night and we got away with it.

Edited by Lags