Another reduced budget next season according to the Chron

I am probably going against the grain here but I don't think a slightly smaller budget (assuming that is what it is) is a big issue.

As Prozac has said, the club have had to spend more this year otherwise they would have been planning for League 2 a long time ago. Whilst I certainly don't think Simon Corney is daft enough to expect LJ to get promotion with a weaker budget, I certainly do not blame him for looking to the likes of Tranmere, Yeovil etc and thinking that the club needs to get more out of the money it's spending.

And regarding the cut in the playing budget, I think too many people are putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5. Could half understand if the language was along the lines of 'Playing budget slashed'. But nobody knows for certain how much it is cut by. Maybe it is referring to total money spent over the course of the season rather than the initial budget, e.g. Initial budget is the same but if we are up :censored: creek there will be no money to bring in a Korey Smith, Shefki Kuqi, Lee Barnard or Jose Baxter mid season, you make do with what you have and you dip into the youth team rather than the loan market in the event of injuries.

Whilst it is by no means guaranteed, if LJ is as thorough as he says he is with his checks before he signs players, gets the fitness up to the standard he wants, then who is to say he won't be able to get a bit more out of what he has at his disposal.

I think arguably the biggest signings he will make over the summer will be his backroom staff.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Few thoughts re: building a team over a number of years

Isn't that what we have said we are going to try and do from now, with a manager wanting to integrate TP and his kids through into the squad?

None of us want to keep :censored: players for the sake of continuity. Not many have done much to attract higher wages than they were happy to take from us last season. Those that have done are gone. Those that haven't but who LJ wants to work with may well need to take a pay cut.

More kids, regulars on less costs less. Good job as income is falling

Hopefully leaves money for a sprinkling of quality additions. It's still a signer's market and if we have to wait until the final day to get an Andy Lidds in I'd rather than than blowing half the budget bidding for someone 5 other clubs are after.

Isn't that what we have said we are going to try and do from now, with a manager wanting to integrate TP and his kids through into the squad?

None of us want to keep :censored: players for the sake of continuity. Not many have done much to attract higher wages than they were happy to take from us last season. Those that have done are gone. Those that haven't but who LJ wants to work with may well need to take a pay cut.

Hopefully leaves money for a sprinkling of quality additions. It's still a signer's market and if we have to wait until the final day to get an Andy Lidds in I'd rather than than blowing half the budget bidding for someone 5 other clubs are after.

I agree with this in the main BUT we have been playing catch-up on deadline day over the last 3 or 4 seasons - even this season the penny only dropped in mid-September that we needed goals and pace, then hey presto Wabara, Baxter and Derbyshire sign. We're in deep :censored:, and hey presto Barney, Big Chris and Obita arrive. I'd like to have a squad in place with a sprinkling of quality in by the opening day. Not simply suddenly deciding there's money available to try and arrest a slide, caused in the first place by a team that is short in most departments...

I think most of us on here have realistic expectations of where the club is at, we're not able to splash out 500k for a new winger or whatever and nor are we likely to be romping away with the league anytime soon.

What is disappointing and driving away even hardcore fans is the constant drip-drip of negativity from the top and the bizarre timing of announcements - can't think of many other clubs that actively seek to reveal they will be spending less than last year, certainly not one that is surviving relegation by the skin of its teeth.

I think most of us on here have realistic expectations of where the club is at, we're not able to splash out 500k for a new winger or whatever and nor are we likely to be romping away with the league anytime soon.

What is disappointing and driving away even hardcore fans is the constant drip-drip of negativity from the top and the bizarre timing of announcements - can't think of many other clubs that actively seek to reveal they will be spending less than last year, certainly not one that is surviving relegation by the skin of its teeth.

Certainly not before season tickets have gone on sale, our board make Gerald Ratner look like a :censored:ing PR genius at times….

I would reckon the big wages are Furman, Baxter, M'Voto, Simpson, Croft and Wesolowski. That's probably 50% of the playing budget.

One player off that list might be 10% off the budget. There's two there I'd not be upset to see leave.

I'm not losing sleep over this. Season ticket will be renewed.

I would reckon the big wages are Furman, Baxter, M'Voto, Simpson, Croft and Wesolowski. That's probably 50% of the playing budget.

One player off that list might be 10% off the budget. There's two there I'd not be upset to see leave.

I'm not losing sleep over this. Season ticket will be renewed.

We're not idiots we know times are hard, but i'd rather the club didn't bleat it every 25 minutes and let us at least look forward to the Summer….

The sheer unknown makeup of the 2013/14 squad is a big negative for purchasing a season ticket in the lower divisions in this era.

Nowhere else would you pay money in advance not knowing what you would get , no one would for example pay up front in these examples unsure which of the options you had paid for.

A restaurant - Salmon , or Salmon Paste

A Gig - A top band or a tribute band

I want to watch Baxter for another season , with a summers training he should be even better next season , it will be a bitter disappointment to buy a season ticket, if he was sold close to the season starting.

Certainly not before season tickets have gone on sale, our board make Gerald Ratner look like a :censored:ing PR genius at times….

Exactly, today is just beyond laughable for me.

It's scary how quickly the goodwill and positive feeling from the cup run is going, they just about got away with the Johnson appointment although he obviously still has much to prove.

The sheer unknown makeup of the 2013/14 squad is a big negative for purchasing a season ticket in the lower divisions in this era.

Nowhere else would you pay money in advance not knowing what you would get , no one would for example pay up front in these examples unsure which of the options you had paid for.

I want to watch Baxter for another season , with a summers training he should be even better next season , it will be a bitter disappointment to buy a season ticket, if he was sold close to the season starting.

As we know though, football is not like any other industry - it sells dreams based on blind faith, bought by gullible idiots that are treated like :censored: year after year. No matter how many walk away because of the ultimate let down the game is, a modicum of success and everyone comes back to the fore only to suffer the same disappointment. Then the whole process starts again.

It's just that Oldham Athletic over the last 20 years has done stagnation and disappointment much better than most….

Corney gives little money out, people blame the manager and we then sack him. Shouldn't we be looking at Corney's position instead of blaming a manager who's been dealt a :censored: hand?

Tired of seeing players who do a year at Boundary Park. Really hope it won't be like that next season but I can't see it any different (at least not yet).

Bring on the Summer and Johnson's changes!

Until things get better, 365 a year income or a miracle happens we have to cut our cloth according to our means. I'd rather watch us being :censored: than not watch us at all.

Sadly us being :censored: also leads to not being able to watch us at all.

To be fair, talking of timing this doesn't appear to be an "announcement" by the club as such. With no direct quotes from SC in there it sounds as though this could have been spoken about at any point over the past few weeks and isn't in fact, new news. I'm almost certain I've read already that the budget would be cut again anyway, possibly just shortly after LJ arrived.

Corney gives little money out, people blame the manager and we then sack him. Shouldn't we be looking at Corney's position instead of blaming a manager who's been dealt a :censored: hand?

You can look at it. But he owns the club. Until you can stump up the cash to buy him out there's feck all you can do about it.

Will you stop speaking sense LL, its not allowed 9 times out of 10 on here.

Dont you know we're fooked again next season?

No money, no players, no hope??

I personally am really relaxed and actually looking forward to a pre-season for a change. In LJ i definately trust.

He's said he's more than happy with the budget....lets see what he can do with it?

Sorry if I have missed it, but it seems no one has mentioned the FA playing budget related to income cap. This season it was set at 65% of income. Next season it will be reduced to 60% of income. This may well account for the reduction in budget. It may well be that TTA's have had a dividend out of the Cup run or it's gone on other expenditure. It does appear that none of the new entries into L1 next season will be on a lower budget than us. The most important member of staff to any club, IMO, is the manager. Most of us seem happy with LJ and feel he is a cut above the average rookie. We all know a big budget doesn't = success. LJ is happy with the budget, so we have no alternative but to give him a chance. I am expecting a smaller, fitter, and more mobile squad. Johnson has already increased home support and if he can get us within sniffing distance of the play-offs there should be another modest increase. Increased income is the only way to increase the playing budget. LJ talks an excellent game and I am looking forward to see him putting it into action come next season.

Would that be the Premier League that Oldham Athletic apparently voted to join?

If I recall. Ian Stott was adamantly against the creation of the Premier League and we were the last club to 'sign up' at the point it was a done deal, and to not sign up would have been to deny ourselves the promotion we had waited 68 years to realise. The club were not daft, they realised even at that stage, this was not a good move for smaller clubs - which despite promotion we were and would always be.

I think that SC tries to get the club to balance the books, but has on occasions (felt that promotion was a possibility / felt that relegation was a possibility) been willing, albeit on a small scale, break the bank to get a player in when a manager has convinced him its necessary. With regards to promotion, its never worked out. But depsite some close run ins, we are still a League One club come August again next year.

I genuinely believe that SC and the right manager (LJ hopefully) can and will deliver 'relative' success to the club. A new stand, a JPT win, and (more than likely via the play-offs) even a promotion at some stage.

But this isn't a cafe or a gig, it's football. You pay your money to watch football in the hope of something rewarding happening, usually very little happens - I have said this many times - sport is something where entertainment is a by-product. Sky have made a fortune out of making something out of :censored: all.

I've not read any of this thread but, would I be right in thinking there's been a right load of bollocks spouted?

You would be exactly right.

It seems many would like to see a Chris Moore situation again where we spend money we haven't got on players and contracts, and end up on the verge of liquidation.