could the new defence work?

In Sept 1989 we went to Newcastle without any of our centre backs. We had to play our right back and a reserve in the centre. Who were they?

Earl Barrett and Paul Warhurst.

The rest is history.

Let's hope.

Top and bottom of it, if no one else comes in, it HAS to work.

No two ways about it.

It will be interesting to hear people's thoughts when they get back and to watch how the goals were conceded tonight. I heard Mellor had a steady game but it sounds like the back four as a whole fell asleep for their second with them taking a quick throw and catching us flat footed. Somebody on the Stevenage forum said their third was a result of us trying the offside trap and failing.

It will be interesting to see what the rest of this division has to offer and how we fare in our next two away games at Peterborough and Preston. It's going to be an interesting and fun ride I think.

Edited by dec666

The more I think about it the more I reckon that this could be the making or breaking of Tarkowski. If he has leadership qualities this could be his chance to shine and take control of the defence, of course it could be too much for him and might make him a worse player being in an inexperienced defence.

Even if it fails I'm happy that our youngsters are being given a chance at the back.

From what I saw in the game yesterday was Tarkowski in the ear of Mellor/Brown all the way through. Now that's not something you learn.

I truly believe that the Tarkowski/Mellor partnership may be a stroke of genius, what we have to remember yesterday we played virtually a 5-5 formation, we could have had Baresi and Moore at CB and we would still have conceded

Mellor was outstanding in parts. Loved the comfort we showed when passing across the back four Swansea-style. Grounds wasn't himself and we were caught out a couple of times and looked woeful. However they did raid a lot in the air and we dealt with set pieces fine. Mellor's ability coming out with the ball will be priceless - always looking to find a man, often drilled balls to McDonald (my MOM) and Rooney. Connor Brown had one of his best games for the club and linked well with the impressive Dayton!

All in all it is a work in progress and we will concede a few, however they really help the team play and Tarky finished like a premiership striker!!

Very very excited!

From what I saw in the game yesterday was Tarkowski in the ear of Mellor/Brown all the way through. Now that's not something you learn.

I truly believe that the Tarkowski/Mellor partnership may be a stroke of genius, what we have to remember yesterday we played virtually a 5-5 formation, we could have had Baresi and Moore at CB and we would still have conceded

I would have moved Grounds to the center and had Baresi at LB. That aside, i do like, "defence first," defenders but you never get to count the goals conceded or not scored because of poor football skills by a Big John type player

Your spot on with your post. When you are committed to attack like we were yesterday and play a high defensive line you are bound to be more vulnerable at the back. I rather have footballing centre backs than someone launching the ball into the stands. Keep it up boys, great entertainment.