Centre back priority ?

The last thing that Johnson will want to do is get a big lump that would be better with two heads rather than two feet. Regardless of being a centre half, it'll become more and more important as the season settles down that the ball doesn't break down when the centre back have it and that they are able to spot the attacking opportunities.

If a ball playing central defender that is happy to be paid in Netto beans appears then I'm sure he'll be snapped up but, in the meantime, I'm fine with us developing Mellor into that role.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The last thing that Johnson will want to do is get a big lump that would be better with two heads rather than two feet. Regardless of being a centre half, it'll become more and more important as the season settles down that the ball doesn't break down when the centre back have it and that they are able to spot the attacking opportunities.

If a ball playing central defender that is happy to be paid in Netto beans appears then I'm sure he'll be snapped up but, in the meantime, I'm fine with us developing Mellor into that role.

This unfortunately.

I thought Tarky was good.

He had a hell of a lot to deal with and dealt with most of it well, as reflected in the scoreline.

Could/should have scored near the end aswell.

The sheep have found their boo boy.

Think your wrong there Harry, most posters on here are pro Tarky, and there was no dissent towards him where I was sat tonight

Always puzzling why we look to seek out individuals to point the finger at after a loss - the oppo are allowed to play well and beat us sometimes.

Didn't think anybody particularly stood out good or bad for us, subs were a bit odd though, can only think he brought Millar on to give him a run out having not been involved much pre season.

Agreed, although I wouldn't say terrible. He looked lethargic at first, late to react etc. but he really needs experience to play with. Mellor and Tarky looked like rabbits in headlights far too much. The only thing I can't get my head around us how Derby didn't score 3 or 4.

Get an imposing defender in and we're a decent team. As it is we'll dick teams some weeks, and get rinsed on other weeks.

I'd also agree with that Frankly. Tarky is NOT a scapegoat or the designated 'boo boy' like someone on this topic has just suggested. Its just frustrating seeing the same mistakes over and over. I think he can, if he is able to cut out the errors and increase his concentration, become a decent CB at this level but no more. That will be suitable for us for now. He has good attributes and tonight he had a lot of work to deal. We can take a lot of positives from tonight but I feel we are so lacking defensively it is blinding. I'm still confident LJ sees this and will rectify it in the coming weeks.

I have to agree that Mellor got caught out a couple of times, but he wont develop without getting games in that position. Thought Derby were comfortable in the second half, and that Sammon wouldve been a handful for any experienced defender.

For me the ref was too visible tonight, on this occasion we was too much of him.

Anyone see how close Montano's shot was to going in? Thought he shoudlve leathered it myself but that might be why im not a footballer

I have to agree that Mellor got caught out a couple of times, but he wont develop without getting games in that position. Thought Derby were comfortable in the second half, and that Sammon wouldve been a handful for any experienced defender.

For me the ref was too visible tonight, on this occasion we was too much of him.

Anyone see how close Montano's shot was to going in? Thought he shoudlve leathered it myself but that might be why im not a footballer

Admittedly the Derby centre forward was excellent and way above what you would usually see in Division One, nevertheless Mellor is now a definite target.

Mellor won't come up against the likes of Sammon every week, but he'll be stronger for a game running after Derby's strikers.

To say they only scored one is quite a good reflection on our defenders.

Well 1st half thought we looked sharp, played the ball out well to the wide men,Conor Brown looked to get forward and mom for me. When they started to close us down quicker we seemed to run out of ideas. Thought Connor Sammon for them was outstanding and how the ref did not give them a penalty is beyond me. Good turnout though just over 4100 tics, that bodes well.

Agreed, Latics won't come up anything as good as him in Division One.

Thought we played well tonight, shape disappeared for too long though after JCH went off.

Defence is a big concern but that's been done to death before tonight!

Keep playing like that though and we'll get the crowds coming back. Enjoyed tonight despite the result.

And to echo the above, Connor Sammon was fantastic.

Mellor and Tarky vulnerable in defence, thank god for Korey Smith sweeping up and protecting them. Sammon was too much to handle sometimes with the long ball but thought the full-backs were decent.

Midfield we competed well. Baxter made some nice passes but was knackered by the hour mark. Dayton threatened but Monty didn't have his best game.

JCH played really well until his injury in my opinion, held the ball up and shielded well with his strength and linked up midfield and attack. However Rooney was doing a similar thing and we needed a player to run behind the defence, could have been MacDonald or even Millar doing that job. I wouldn't put Rooney and JCH up front together anyway.

Overall a decent performance against a side with good tactics. New CB is needed or Byrne has to slot in there.

You are joking right, he was by far and away the best player on the pitch.

I want some of what you are smoking please.

Sorry mate, but I think you are slightly outvoted.

So, slightly disappointing after a very good first half. I thought Tarky was very good tonight, he seemed to spend a lot of time shouting instructions to Mellor, which was good to see. As for Mellor himself, well i don't really want to come down on him because he really isn't a centre back but it shows time and time again. I we are to stick with him there i really hope that he learns very very quickly. I'm disappointed that we didn't get to see more of Millar but by the time he had come on our play had broken down and he didn't really see the ball, the few times he had it at his feet, he was quickly pushed of it by a stronger player.

Thought JCH was brilliant until he went off injured, i also thought that Rooney played a good (if subdued) game, everything that went to him was distributed pretty well. I think i needs a little bit more game sharpness though. Baxter completely disappeared in the second half, rarely noticed he was on the pitch.

Just be human nature or something, but slagging off the defence is crazy. 1 goal against a very professional and organised Derby side with muscle and pace! And serious money.

Can't people see the benefit of having a CB like Mellor to distribute the ball? Mistakes may have been made, but Derby County (Championship top 10 club) only scored 1 against us.

Connor Brown was excellent - I really don't understand why people get on his back???

Pretty sure another CB is on the way, but the whole nature of the performance and working the ball forward from the back was refreshing.

Although as mentioned we all see things differently. Think of the positives though for feck's sake people.

Unless someone leaves or if we can get a player dirt cheap, so probably a Prem youngster on loan, we aren't getting a CB, I'm afraid.

I've got no problem with him playing Mellor at CB on occasion but I think tonight called for the experienced head of Cliff Byrne. Sammon was not going to our pace Byrne tonight, nor was he going to outmuscle him either and Cliff doesn't have the naivety of both Tarky and Mellor, which Sammon took advantage of on more than one occasion tonight. Playing Mellor at CB at home in League 1 against some if the lesser teams I'll be fine with, he's not a proper CB, yet, but I can think of a few excellent CBs who started elsewhere. Tonight, however, against a Championship side with an international CF playing for them called for Byrne IMHO.

Edited by rudemedic