Centre back priority ?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of you on here are totally deluded!!

At what point do young lads get a run in the team without being butchered. All i heard under dickov was it's same eleven week in week out. He never had any faith in the young lads. Johnson has the balls to put youngsters in an more importantly keep them in. If not what's the point the of TP and the youth set up????? Tarky was excellent tonight. Composed, strong, and marshalled them well. Fully deserved his mom. Mellor made mistakes, he got caught in possession. Why? Because he's being asked to look after the ball. . As are all the back four. They will get caught out, they will lose position. Particulrly against champ opposition. It's TWO games in! Give them a f**king chance.

I see quite a few saying brown has really improved. Is that the same brown that couldn't get anywhere near the side under Dickov an yet under Johnson has had a good run in the side an is steadily improving.

I know; will just get ready made made centre backs, an a load of loans, f**k the kids off an we'll do really well.... Yep 17th 3 seasons in a row. Nice one.

so to sum up...

some of the posters on here are so aware that they see things in the game about players and tactics that that the rest of us are unable to see

or

some of the posters on here talk so much bollocks that the rest of us are baffled

Discuss

so to sum up...

some of the posters on here are so aware that they see things in the game about players and tactics that that the rest of us are unable to see

or

some of the posters on here talk so much bollocks that the rest of us are baffled

Discuss

No mate. I just want young lads to be allowed to make mistakes, without being cast off as wank within five minutes.

After tonight I'd say a new centre back is less of a priority.

Mellor isn't a centre back, yet, 2nd proper game in the position, it was against better opposition than we get most weeks and he did better than most of us thought he would do.

One very good last gasp challenge when he legged it from miles away and appeared from nowhere to slide in and do the best tackle of the night. He made the odd mistake but his head didn't drop once, or even look like it. He came out of defence with the ball at his feet and head up looking to play a pass and get us started again, been a while since we've had a CB who can do that.

Some weeks he will have a torrid time against some of the big ugly lumps we get in Division 3 but there were signs tonight that he is learning and to write him off now is laughable. Tarky did well too considering this was yet another new partnership for the youngster to get to grips with and this time he is the senior partner. Christ, at various points in that game against much better opposition each of our centre backs did rampaging runs forward with the ball. We aren't looking at "Don't pass me the ball" players here, both of these lads are as comfortable on the ball as some of them foreign types.

When Tarky was pushed up towards the end our only player playing in the centre back role was Mellor, going from playing in a new position with an inexperienced player along side to guide him through to being the only bloody centre back and we still didn't concede another is pretty good in my book.

As for Brown, he too did well going forwards as well as backwards which is what is expected of full backs today.

I said earlier that Mellor did the best tackle of the match, Brown for me did the best moment of the match, Derby got a free kick late on and looked to play it quickly, Brown was the only player switched on enough to leg it and track the runner. Fortunately they took the free kick too quickly for the ref so it didn't matter but even at that late stage of the game Brown was switched on.

Have I seen better defences at BP, yes, have I seen securer defences at BP, yes and I have seen worse, much worse. But there is something interesting and intriguing about this defence that I am looking forward to seeing develop.

Mellor isn't a centre back, yet, 2nd proper game in the position, it was against better opposition than we get most weeks and he did better than most of us thought he would do.

One very good last gasp challenge when he legged it from miles away and appeared from nowhere to slide in and do the best tackle of the night. He made the odd mistake but his head didn't drop once, or even look like it. He came out of defence with the ball at his feet and head up looking to play a pass and get us started again, been a while since we've had a CB who can do that.

Some weeks he will have a torrid time against some of the big ugly lumps we get in Division 3 but there were signs tonight that he is learning and to write him off now is laughable. Tarky did well too considering this was yet another new partnership for the youngster to get to grips with and this time he is the senior partner. Christ, at various points in that game against much better opposition each of our centre backs did rampaging runs forward with the ball. We aren't looking at "Don't pass me the ball" players here, both of these lads are as comfortable on the ball as some of them foreign types.

When Tarky was pushed up towards the end our only player playing in the centre back role was Mellor, going from playing in a new position with an inexperienced player along side to guide him through to being the only bloody centre back and we still didn't concede another is pretty good in my book.

As for Brown, he too did well going forwards as well as backwards which is what is expected of full backs today.

I said earlier that Mellor did the best tackle of the match, Brown for me did the best moment of the match, Derby got a free kick late on and looked to play it quickly, Brown was the only player switched on enough to leg it and track the runner. Fortunately they took the free kick too quickly for the ref so it didn't matter but even at that late stage of the game Brown was switched on.

Have I seen better defences at BP, yes, have I seen securer defences at BP, yes and I have seen worse, much worse. But there is something interesting and intriguing about this defence that I am looking forward to seeing develop.

Spot on. None of them are amazing. But they work hard for each other, don't let there heads drop. An WANT the ball. Instead just aimless long passes to no-one. Very, very encouraging. That'll do for me.

^

Quite simply this.

Defensively there were so many positives tonight against good quality opposition. There was a big improvement in how the back line performed as a "unit" and although there were some errors, overall it is another game showing improvement. We are now "playing" the ball out which leads to greater retention of possession leading to (hopefully) more chances at the opposite end.

Our main failing tonight was how we dropped off after half time and whilst that was disappointing, I think Clough should take credit for that with how he changed his tactics at half time and denied us the space we got through the middle in the 1st half. LJ tried to counter that by making his own change but we then started to give the ball away more often, Wes, Jose and even Smith being guilty. It was only in the last 5 mins that Tarky was pushed up as we gave it one last push. Monty was unlucky not to see his effort go in and we gave it a good go against more than decent Championship opposition.

Role on Saturday

Edited by Harry Dowds Green Shirt

A lot of you on here are totally deluded!!

At what point do young lads get a run in the team without being butchered. All i heard under dickov was it's same eleven week in week out. He never had any faith in the young lads. Johnson has the balls to put youngsters in an more importantly keep them in. If not what's the point the of TP and the youth set up????? Tarky was excellent tonight. Composed, strong, and marshalled them well. Fully deserved his mom. Mellor made mistakes, he got caught in possession. Why? Because he's being asked to look after the ball. . As are all the back four. They will get caught out, they will lose position. Particulrly against champ opposition. It's TWO games in! Give them a f**king chance.

I see quite a few saying brown has really improved. Is that the same brown that couldn't get anywhere near the side under Dickov an yet under Johnson has had a good run in the side an is steadily improving.

I know; will just get ready made made centre backs, an a load of loans, f**k the kids off an we'll do really well.... Yep 17th 3 seasons in a row. Nice one.

this

Wow !!!! this this this

The thinking of LJ is a total football theory playing from the back and Mellor fits that bill completely. Yes looked a little shaky at times and miss judged a bounce (but recovered with a great challenge).

We have had worse performances over the last few seasons off first choice and Centre halves by nature namely Mvoto and Hazel.

So lets trust our new tactic, support Mellor and Tarky, in my mind Grounds left Mellor isolated at times in both games to date and no one seems to comment on that.

We will win a lot more than lose in our division playing in this way so for F@&£ sake keep the faith.

The Derby game is just one game.

I saw a lot at the Stevenage game that reassured me over the Mellor and Tarky partnership. I'm willing to give them more time together in the league to see how it progresses. Both are young and learning but demonstrating a lot of strengths in their game indicating that it could well work.

Yes we lost in the cup and a run would have helped financially but progression in the league will help us more in the long run. Obviously promotion would be immense but remaining up around the play-off pack playing attractive football will entice more fans on the longer term.

Add to this that LJ has seen something and based on his transfer dealings to date, I trust the bloke. Playing the ball out from defence rather than lumping it forward is definitely the way to go.

Add to this that LJ has seen something and based on his transfer dealings to date, I trust the bloke. Playing the ball out from defence rather than lumping it forward is definitely the way to go.

Agreed !!

This.

How on earth did Tarkowski get MOM? I thought he was poor.

It's all opinions at the end of the day, and it's be a dull world if we all had the same.

That said; you're wrong (!)

Tarky was excellent last night.

Him and Mellor look to be central to the way LJ wants the side to line up and play.

A big limp who hoofs it isn't what we require; and isn't right for how we want to play.

I'm not blind, and if by magic A CB who has Mellor's abity on the ball but with experience and time in the position can be found; then obviously we should look to bring that man in.

But - show me that players, and where they are. And also tell me how we're gojng to be able to afford to bring them in?

Mellor, with more work and more games, will be more than fine in the CB role.

We'll win more than we lose when up against League One sides playing the way we do IMO.

Amen Brother!!!!!

Note to self: read the whole thread before posting. Especially when someone has made the point you're trying to make already; and better!

Mellor imo is simply not a centre back, his distribution is good and it is nice to see us pass it out but we will get found out every week by teams who will throw on a target man etc. This isn't me slagging off mellor as I rate him highly and would like to see him in centre midfield but put him at cb against a physical striker and we are :censored:ed.

Mellor needs to be reinstated in CM, he finished the season superbly there and IMO we don't get the best out of him as a CB.simple play cliff Byrne

I don't know if funds are available to strengthen CB but that would be my priority now.