Was looking on their forum this morning and most of their fans think this game could be a cracker - saying how we've signed some good players and both teams look to be playing good football (which is true, Walsall have 2 good wins so far) A draw seems the consensus on their forum but I'm going to go to be optimistic and go for a a 3-2 win, what do you guys think? DISCUSS :shakeit:

This is going to be a real tough game, I hope we don't approach it as being a guaranteed 3 points, because it just won't, they are well drilled and had a great season last year, finishing 9th, just 6 points outside the play-offs. Not only that, they have Westcarr up front who is a very good striker, who will cause problems to our defence, and like you mentioned, they have had two very good wins so far, if not expected against Tranmere and Port Vale.

Also looking back on the past few times we've played Walsall at home it reads D, L, D, L, L.

With our attacking players and weak(er) defence, and with them winning the first two, i'm going to call the draw, and say 2-2.

Just seen as well that we've only won 2 out of the last 10 against them...gulp!!!

Edited by alex_balls

This is going to be a real tough game, I hope we don't approach it as being a guaranteed 3 points, because it just won't, they are well drilled and had a great season last year, finishing 9th, just 6 points outside the play-offs. Not only that, they have Westcarr up front who is a very good striker, who will cause problems to our defence, and like you mentioned, they have had two very good wins so far, if not expected against Tranmere and Port Vale.

Also looking back on the past few times we've played Walsall at home it reads D, L, D, L, L.

With our attacking players and weak(er) defence, and with them winning the first two, i'm going to call the draw, and say 2-2.

TBH I changed my prediction from 2-2 to that mid way through my post. My head says draw my heart says oldham win!

I remember reading a few tranny fans on twitter saying how their side is so strong walsall wouldn't have a chance haha then they got dicked 3-1

HT 1-1.

FT 3-1.

Can't wait to get back in the RRE. The turnstiles might be tighter, but at least I can see the full pitch unobstructed :peepwall:

To add to this. Latics to go 1-up from a Baxter penalty. Walsall to equalise in the 43rd minute.

2nd half Montano scores within 10 minutes of the break, and Mellor does a Tarkowski and volleys in from a low cross with 15 minutes to go.

Walsall have no response and we end the weekend top of the league.

12/13 D1-1 Changy

11/12 W2-1 Simpson, Morais

10/11 D1-1 Lowe

09/10 W1-0 Pav

08/09 W3-2 Allott/Hughes 2

07/08 L0-2

05/06 W2-1 Warne, Porter

04/05 W5-3 Eyres 2, Holden, Jack, Griffin

00/01 D0-0

98/99 L0-2

97/98 D0-0

88/89 W3-0 Palmer, Marshall, Ritchie

Record v Walsall (H) last 25 years......

Away Record v Walsall last 25 years

12/13 L1-3 Barnard

11/12 W1-0 Taylor

10/11 D1-1 Morais

09/10 L0-3

08/09 W2-1 Smalley, Brooke

07/08 Ricketts, Liddell (pen), Davies

05/06 W2-0 Beckett, Warne

04/05 W1-0 Beckett

00/01 L2-3 Adams, Duxbury

98/99 L1-3 Duxbury

97/98 D0-0

88/89 D2-2 Holden A, Bunn

Walsall don't look the biggest of sides, but have some quick forwards. I expect plenty of balls over the top of the Latics centre backs for them to run on to (a tactic most teams will now be well aware of).

I also expect the Latics forwards to cause problems with their pace, so it should be an entertaining end to end game.

Edited by BP1960

Looking forward to it.

Dean Smith has them set up to play it on the deck, and they did tremendously well last season.

They have lost Brandy, Grigg & Patenson though, who were there 3 standout players last time.

I hope we come out of the traps fast, press & pressure them and really look to attack them from the wings and through the centre.

I'm looking for the intensity of the 2nd half vs Stevenage, And the 1st half of last night - but maintained for longer.

Should be a cracker though, looking forward to it.

Just seen as well that we've only won 2 out of the last 10 against them...gulp!!!

12/13 D1-1 Changy

11/12 W2-1 Simpson, Morais

10/11 D1-1 Lowe

09/10 W1-0 Pav

08/09 W3-2 Allott/Hughes 2

07/08 L0-2

05/06 W2-1 Warne, Porter

04/05 W5-3 Eyres 2, Holden, Jack, Griffin

00/01 D0-0

98/99 L0-2

97/98 D0-0

88/89 W3-0 Palmer, Marshall, Ritchie

Record v Walsall (H) last 25 years......

Haha my apologies, i've just realised I was looking at Walsalls record vs Oldham and not ours vs them, what a clown, so basically Walsall haven't beaten us at BP since 07 when Ricketts rolled up and bagged for them against us..

Haha my apologies, i've just realised I was looking at Walsalls record vs Oldham and not ours vs them, what a clown, so basically Walsall haven't beaten us at BP since 07 when Ricketts rolled up and bagged for them against us..

Edited by kieranmcandrew